Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. It's just weird, cuz this game is getting touted by so many outlets as being as impactful and important as those original games and while there's obviously a ton of gameplay ideas being thrown around, visually it's just super boring. And I dont know why people are so accepting of this. As if countless other amazing 2d games dont exist that have set the bar much higher. Had a similar issue with Mario Odyssey. It's like Nintendo is deathly afraid of actually messing with things here. Though I guess they're probably feeling justified given critical reception. As somebody who grew up remembering the 'wonder' of SMB3 and SMW when they came out though, this new game doesn't come close to feeling the same.
How does the game play?

There are crap tons of tweets about how buggy new Spierdman 2 is. I have no clue if this is true or usual console warriors thing.

I think new Mario looks great. I’m sad I don’t have switch it looks and sounds like a game for the old fart like me.
Most games are filled with bugs at launch. I am sure they will have patches out quickly to address some of the more egregious ones

How does the game play?
I mean, most reviews go over this well enough(including John's DF vid here). Seems most people really love it. I personally think it's maybe a tad too 'gimmick-laden' where ideas are never really expanded upon enough, but I guess Mario has always kinda had that to some degree. Also a little put off by how many talking about how easy it is. I think Mario Maker 2 has absolutely spoiled me in terms of 2D Mario games, honestly. The proper 1st party 2d Mario games just seem to be a little too 'accessible' for my tastes nowadays.

But if you're still into these sorts of games, it seems like a great entry, or at least much better than the 'New' SMB games, which definitely felt quite uninspired on nearly every front.

SMW was my first memory of recognizing that a game/franchise was beginning to skew to a different/younger demographic via incorporating layers and layers of assists and lacking anything that felt punitive. SMW kind of felt like playing SM3 with a Game Genie given things like item stowing, Yoshi (basically a retrievable power-up), mid-level preemption, the cape pretty much being a p-wing. I have a hard time reconciling with a platformer game that you merely "complete" rather than "beat". Undoubtedly the right business approach in order to introduce new/young gamers to their ecosystem. If Nintendo weren't such terrible stewards for their online ecosystems I'd have bought a console just for Mario Maker.

SMW was my first memory of recognizing that a game/franchise was beginning to skew to a different/younger demographic via incorporating layers and layers of assists and lacking anything that felt punitive. SMW kind of felt like playing SM3 with a Game Genie given things like item stowing, Yoshi (basically a retrievable power-up), mid-level preemption, the cape pretty much being a p-wing. I have a hard time reconciling with a platformer game that you merely "complete" rather than "beat". Undoubtedly the right business approach in order to introduce new/young gamers to their ecosystem. If Nintendo weren't such terrible stewards for their online ecosystems I'd have bought a console just for Mario Maker.
Good post yea. The item stowing thing would have been great to just get rid of as an option. It basically allowed three hits to kill instead of two, which makes a big difference.

Like you say though, I get Nintendo's intention here. They still want to appeal to kids and all, so their approach is sensible and understandable. It's just....not for me anymore.

I also dont think many people realize how incredible Mario Maker 2 is. There are countless levels I've played in that that are as good or better than the best 1st party Mario levels Nintendo has ever made. I know they're not always so straightforward to find and you sometimes need to muck your way through some mud to find em, but MM2's rating system also tends to elevate the better levels well enough. The main downside is the 'structure' of the game, even with the addition of the barebones 'world editor' stuff. Yet despite all that, for me, it makes it so hard to go back to the basic 1st party Mario 2d games. Not to mention that making your own levels is so easy and great fun.

Tech interviews are always a high point of Digital Foundry. This one is great. Also, Spider-Man 2 looks really good. Some of the early release stuff I didn't think looked great, but looking at the release footage it's very very good. I think the strength is definitely the scale. The city looks amazing at scale, in high views. The buildings with the interiors look fantastic. Lots of great textures and materials. The lighting is very good. The weakness is if you get up close to the small stuff, but that's honestly not a problem. There's always going to be a compromise somewhere, and it seems like they made all of the right choices.

While the deficiencies of the performance mode can obscure this to a certain extent, as mentioned here what's clearly evident when you switch back and forth between this as the originals is the massive uptick in density. Often just wowed in this game at the scale of it, both in expansive but simultaneously intimate detail.

It's a game that will scale amazingly well to future hardware because of this, starting with the PS5 Pro, but this game on a hypothetical 5090 years from now is going to be truly something else.

Last edited:
Fresh out of the oven.

I really hate specular shimmer, and from all the trailers - even on PC footage with DLSS - that unfortunately really stood out to me and it's definitely prevalent here.

It's still impressive that for the most part, the art design isn't completely lost on the console versions, the PC version of course with high end hardware looks substantially better but damn, those shimmering specular edges bother me far more than the stippled shadows.

Fresh out of the oven.

Disappointing that the RT reflections in Control are gone on console in AW2. I understand that this was easy to add to control as it was a last gen game, but a lower res 30fps mode that used RT reflections (and maybe shadows) as an additional option would have been nice (if possible).

Disappointing that the RT reflections in Control are gone on console in AW2. I understand that this was easy to add to control as it was a last gen game, but a lower res 30fps mode that used RT reflections (and maybe shadows) as an additional option would have been nice (if possible).

The more developers push the graphics on these RDNA2 consoles the less compute there is for RT.

I think Alan Wake 2 will need to be a PC version after seeing how the PS5 version looks. The game looks decent enough but the lack of ray traced reflections and sparkles from FSR are enough to turn me off from it. I wonder if VRS, albeit using it in the other way to increase sampling rate, would help diminish the sparkling in the Xbox versions.

I totally agree with Oliver that PS5 version looks very nice in comparison to PC max settings. To be honest its ridiculous how much more powerfull 4090 is (almost 100TF) vs PS5 (10) ! And for the most part the game looks pretty much the same. RT adds some extra fine details but the cost of it is gigantic. "Hey look darker shadows under table! Nice 90TF well spend! "
It is what it is, at least AW2 is one of those games that has great art style and great tech so the final product comes very nicely together.

I totally agree with Oliver that PS5 version looks very nice in comparison to PC max settings. To be honest its ridiculous how much more powerfull 4090 is (almost 100TF) vs PS5 (10) ! And for the most part the game looks pretty much the same. RT adds some extra fine details but the cost of it is gigantic. "Hey look darker shadows under table! Nice 90TF well spend! "
It is what it is, at least AW2 is one of those games that has great art style and great tech so the final product comes very nicely together.
Need to see Alex's breakdown to get a real analysis of the situation, but the shimmering and noise on the consoles is pretty noticable from some of the videos i've seen. I would rather play on a mid spec pc with no RT than deal with that all game.

4090 costs a little bit more than 3x of the PS5. You can play Alan Wake with >30 FPS in native 4K with Pathtracing... So this is basically a much better "option" than a console from price/performance perspective.

So, no, these consoles do not look "very nice in comparision".

Yea the 4090 at 1440p (So higher resolution than PS5 quality mode) runs at 4x the frame rate and with higher settings.

A 4070i is also performing ~3x better.

So PS5 definitely isn't holding its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back