Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's odd is this note here, there's no indication given that the resolution is lowered further from 1080p in the 120hz unlocked mode, yet the rats update at 60fps instead of 30. If they can update at 60 and there's clearly ample headroom as shown by the unlocked framerate, why aren't they also updated at 60 in the 60hz mode?

1684691916541.png

I’m starting to wonder if there aren’t more of those performance improvement patches that we simply flow under the radar.

Games adding in a 60fps mode from 30 is quite a big deal, you see it talked about constantly whenever they drop. I mean you're mentioning this in response to an 18 minute video done by a large outlet on such a patch.

Last edited:
Oh, I should have been more thorough in my post. I meant outside of the 60fps mode. The PS5 used to have massive drops and struggled to maintain 30 but now is much closer to the Series X.

Oh well yeah, most patches don't get coverage simply due to the time involved. Eg: Their Far Cry 6 video showed PS5/SX had awful camera stuttering at launch, just tried the trial last night and that's fixed. Same goes for many games on PC, just not feasible for one outlet to cover most patches for modern games when they're so numerous.

No, i mean that the Switch is a system without wait time, without GBs of patches. And combine this with games like Zelda you get a experience not possible on other plattforms.

Compare Zelda with Jedi Survivor. You have to download up to 150GB (takes hours...) and get a game which is basically a rail third person game. Look at the content created between Zelda and Jedi Survivor. Jedi Survivor looks great but as a game it hasnt evolved since 20 years.
Zelda is in a class of it's own and somewhat unique. I don't think many Studios would spend a year polishing a finished product. (outside of Star Citizen)

Speaking in an interview conducted by TheWashingtonPost, Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma revealed that Tears of the Kingdom was delayed from its initial 2022 release year to May 2023 in order to “make sure that everything in the game was 100 percent to our standards.”

The year’s delay to focus almost exclusively on polish helps to make sense of not only why the game took so long to come out, but how the game is even able to run on the Switch in the way that it does – with seamless transitions between the Hyrule’s 3 levels of depth.

Pretty harsh critique of the 4060 ti and it's memory config/value proposition. As John notes the 16GB variant really seems to exist largely as an upsell to the 4070 which is my perspective.

Pretty harsh critique of the 4060 ti and it's memory config/value proposition. As John notes the 16GB variant really seems to exist largely as an upsell to the 4070 which is my perspective.

I can see the upsell point, and the pricing certainly seems to be set with that somewhat in mind, but on the other hand the 4060 Ti 8GB is an awful proposition as it stands.

It's got the power to smash consoles at RT even without DLSS3 or even DLSS2, and probably outperform and out-texture them even in none RT, none DLSS games. But if memory gets in the way that chip you've spent so much on is left delivering visuals far below what it can do. Nvidia easily has the best GPU tech, but they way they segment the market has the distinct aroma of cynical early obsolescence and at times gouging.

I think it was Andrew Lauritzen that said he wanted a memory configuration where he could get the most out of his GPU, and I'm fully on board with that. And with the half width PCIe bus the 4060Ti 8GB might even perform worse than a 3060Ti in those moments you run out of vram and start hammering the PCIe bus.

Nvidia are with memory like a drug dealer; they only give you only what they think you need tonight for the maximum price. The sooner you get memory withdrawl the sooner they can tempt you with the next tiny hit of additional vram.

I can see the upsell point, and the pricing certainly seems to be set with that somewhat in mind, but on the other hand the 4060 Ti 8GB is an awful proposition as it stands.

It's got the power to smash consoles at RT even without DLSS3 or even DLSS2, and probably outperform and out-texture them even in none RT, none DLSS games. But if memory gets in the way that chip you've spent so much on is left delivering visuals far below what it can do. Nvidia easily has the best GPU tech, but they way they segment the market has the distinct aroma of cynical early obsolescence and at times gouging.

I think it was Andrew Lauritzen that said he wanted a memory configuration where he could get the most out of his GPU, and I'm fully on board with that. And with the half width PCIe bus the 4060Ti 8GB might even perform worse than a 3060Ti in those moments you run out of vram and start hammering the PCIe bus.

Nvidia are with memory like a drug dealer; they only give you only what they think you need tonight for the maximum price. The sooner you get memory withdrawl the sooner they can tempt you with the next tiny hit of additional vram.

Being fair AMD's 7600 is also no better with VRAM as it also has 8GB.

It will probably bench lower than a 12GB 6700xt, while retailing for close to the same price.

AMD kicks another field goal 3 hours after the game ended.
Why have AMD shat the bed so hard this gen? They had the perfect opportunity to kick nvidia right where it hurts and they just absolutely flounder

Why have AMD shat the bed so hard this gen? They had the perfect opportunity to kick nvidia right where it hurts and they just absolutely flounder
I think Navi 33 was always going to be a bit disappointing for many given what we knew of it pretty early on.

Even while the 5nm variants of RDNA3 failed to match the 50% performance per watt improvements AMD claimed, it was a pretty good guess that Navi 33 would not see anything like those same gains still being on a 7nm-family process. So expectations should have been low to begin with.

Add on RDNA3's seemingly busted architecture that doesn't perform like AMD expected it to, and yea, Navi 33 is really in a bad position. It was clearly built to simply be a small, affordable mass produced GPU with heavy emphasis on laptop designs, and not to make any disruptive performance moves, but the performance did still need to be there to some degree to make sense.

I also originally guessed this would be about $300, but I also expected it to match and slightly edge a 6700XT as well, believing RDNA3's advancements would be more significant. So yea, a $300 pricepoint feels very disappointing knowing what we know now.

And yea, you're right that AMD missed such a big opportunity and it's frustrating that we have to pay for it.

Last edited:
Wasn't Alex saying in the recent podcast that the 4060ti is gonna be way more powerful than PS5? But PS5 is about on par with the normal 3070 from what I know. And the 4060ti barely beats it and even can be weaker depending on the game. Is it just the ram capacity at work?

Kinda feel like the 60 series should have been 10 to 12gb

Wasn't Alex saying in the recent podcast that the 4060ti is gonna be way more powerful than PS5? But PS5 is about on par with the normal 3070 from what I know. And the 4060ti barely beats it and even can be weaker depending on the game. Is it just the ram capacity at work?

Kinda feel like the 60 series should have been 10 to 12gb
PS5 is only 3070 level in ports that underperform on PC. And IIRC Alex stated that in RT specifically it is far more powerful. In rasterization the gap is much smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back