Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does the RTX 4080 belong in the trash can? Why is it demonstratively thrown in there?
Why did such an unstructured video come with the RTX 4070 Ti in which there is almost only crying?

Probably because they are both trash cards at their price points? I'd be willing to say that the vast majority of PC gamers likely agree with his sentiments.

At lower price points they'd be decent cards, but NV has priced them to the point of absurdity.

If Crypto mining was still a thing, you could kind of make a case for it. But without it and in these economic conditions, they are trash at their price point.

Regards,
SB

Probably because they are both trash cards at their price points? I'd be willing to say that the vast majority of PC gamers likely agree with his sentiments.

At lower price points they'd be decent cards, but NV has priced them to the point of absurdity.

If Crypto mining was still a thing, you could kind of make a case for it. But without it and in these economic conditions, they are trash at their price point.

Regards,
SB
Are there other cards at the price that are much better? No. The products are state-of-the-art. You can criticise the prices but what has been going on lately is ridiculous. They don't act like professional testers but more like propagandists, influencers, etc. who are just looking for clicks. It's easier to get clicks with polemics.

I do admire GN but I didn't think much of the 4070Ti video. He consistently referred to it as being the same or virtually the same performance as the 3080 which is clearly not the case even by the benchmarks he was showing. And at only $100 more by MSRP it's clearly the better buy right now. Not that I'm at all happy with the price given it's a new generation and x070 class part, but it's not the disaster he made it out to be at all.

I would probably prefer the RTX 4070 Ti over an RTX 3090. The RTX 4070 Ti video was bad. I will avoid the channel for the next time. There are enough choices.

Last edited:
This is the right answer. It does not matter what forum posters or industry think, they will either sell well at this price or they won't.

I used to think AMD and Nvidia had their thumbs on the pulse of the market but sometimes it seems that they’re as clueless as we are. They completely miscalculated the impact of the crypto boom and bust multiple times now.

I used to think AMD and Nvidia had their thumbs on the pulse of the market but sometimes it seems that they’re as clueless as we are. They completely miscalculated the impact of the crypto boom and bust multiple times now.
They wouldent be a major corporation in modern times if they didn't try and see how much they could exploit their customers before pushback. If they see low returns for their latest moves hopefully they learn their lesson a bit

Its going to depend abit on the entry/mid end GPUs (4060, 4060Ti, maybe 4070). The entry into PC gaming/most popular gpus have so far been priced fairly well.

Its going to depend abit on the entry/mid end GPUs (4060, 4060Ti, maybe 4070). The entry into PC gaming/most popular gpus have so far been priced fairly well.
Although people may complain about paying the same for entree and mid level cards as they used to for high end, I think these new GPUs are also just generally powerful. So even if it's entree level it should be a good upgrade for someone who hasnt upgraded in a long time is my very uneducated thought

Especially with the software side of things like DLSS2 and 3. I wish frame generation worked better at lower fps. It could be a real game changer in general for the industry at large

If they could readily predict the boom and bust cycle of crypto, they wouldn’t need to be in the GPU business. They could generate 100s of billions off being crypto players themselves.

And regardless of the number of miners who inflated GPU prices by driving supply pressure to unnatural highs. They showed Nvidia and AMD how much PC gamers were actually willing to pay for their hardware.

Nvidia and AMD can’t drive the volumes they experienced through the crypto boom. But they can enjoy larger margins which will help offset the loss in volume. Nvidia and AMD is motivated not by what comes out of PC gamers’ mouths but rather what comes out their pockets.

If they could readily predict the boom and bust cycle of crypto, they wouldn’t need to be in the GPU business. They could generate 100s of billions off being crypto players themselves.

And regardless of the number of miners who inflated GPU prices by driving supply pressure to unnatural highs. They showed Nvidia and AMD how much PC gamers were actually willing to pay for their hardware.

Nvidia and AMD can’t drive the volumes they experienced through the crypto boom. But they can enjoy larger margins which will help offset the loss in volume. Nvidia and AMD is motivated not by what comes out of PC gamers’ mouths but rather what comes out their pockets.
Which is where the sales of these things will determine their future practices

What I enjoy most about DF videos is that they just project joy and enthusiasm about the field of graphics and gaming in general.
Along with their reporting on frame rates and image quality being second to none.
They still hit the same beats that other Youtubers do (like pricing being a serious concern currently, hardware issues, driver problems etc) but manage to do it without the smirking and snarking and hysterics about how everyone involved is stupid and corrupt.

DF are more interested in the technology itself than the outside factors which makes sense. but I can't blame people for being salty when most aren't gonna be able to afford any of these cards at all. Especially if once upon a time it was only 90 series that was out of people's brackets and those were the worst performance for dollar and only for rich whales.

That's the key truth. It'll take a price war to drive prices back down. Thankfully with Intel entering we might see some attempt to secure sales via lower prices and drive pricing down through genuine competition.

That's the key truth. It'll take a price war to drive prices back down. Thankfully with Intel entering we might see some attempt to secure sales via lower prices and drive pricing down through genuine competition.

But at the same time, the cost of semiconductor has never been so high. I think at the end price will never be the same than before but better competition can help to maybe lower a bit the price of GPU.

Ultimately the consumers will decide if they think these gpus are badly priced. If worst comes to worst amd could always do a redo of 400/500/1600 line where they focused on budget value cards in a good balance rather than pure horsepower

And they have decided which is why demand is so low.

And they have decided which is why demand is so low.

The article only used sales figures up to Q3 2022, which is before the new cards were release. This is a predictable sales downturn that happens in the run to the release of new generations of silicon, because there will be vacuum or purchases as people wait for new cards.

This is mindless slow-news-week reporting. Why didn't the new GPUs sell better before they were released? :unsure:

But at the same time, the cost of semiconductor has never been so high. I think at the end price will never be the same than before but better competition can help to maybe lower a bit the price of GPU.
Sure, everything will be more expensive than it used to be. ;) I just think/hope that juicy profit-margins will be slimmed down which I believe are fat margins at the moment and there's a lot of trimming that could happen, with ~$1200 GPUs coming down to $800, etc. I don't think it's just lowering the price a bit but by a sizeable chunk. Athough that opinion isn't based on an economic evaluation of GPU cost to make and insight into current margins. It could also be that supply and demand allows prices to stay high, same as happened with mobile phones which prices ballooned and everyone carried on buying into them.

1673011784850.png
The second hand market probably buoys the entry-level price bracket.

The article only used sales figures up to Q3 2022, which is before the new cards were release. This is a predictable sales downturn that happens in the run to the release of new generations of silicon.

Other quarters from previous years don't show massive sales slow down prior to new cards releasing.

DF technical discussion topic filled with sales and the ’decline’ of pc gaming crap due to pricing. Another closure waiting to happen.
The 4070Ti topic is simply continueing over here.

Well it's to do with DFs article so...although I don't recall anyone in the thread saying anything about PCs declining. Just that pricing could stand to come down a bit to let the tech improvements not be littered with controversy. But yeah I think everyone has said their piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back