Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the patch for Calisto Protocol that they shipped last night it's now pretty much 99% smooth. It's wild that they shipped the game in the most broken state of the last few years regarding stutters. Then patched 90% of the issues in less than a day, but after sales cratered and the reception was mostly negative on steam. Then 5 days since launch the game is stutter free pretty much. Just 5 days cost them the entire pc platform. The platform from which Capcom has 50% of its total revenue from releasing similar games to this one

Day 1 patches to make things work have become common in the gaming industry. BF2 started this with a completely non-working server browser as a MP only game.

Just extend the release with a couple of days yourselfs. Non-issue for me if they fix things like that. Its weird but whatever.

With the patch for Calisto Protocol that they shipped last night it's now pretty much 99% smooth. It's wild that they shipped the game in the most broken state of the last few years regarding stutters. Then patched 90% of the issues in less than a day, but after sales cratered and the reception was mostly negative on steam. Then 5 days since launch the game is stutter free pretty much. Just 5 days cost them the entire pc platform. The platform from which Capcom has 50% of its total revenue from releasing similar games to this one
Capcom remains as a pretty unique thing. They are the only ones doing AAA survival horror now.

There are very few unique things in the industry, like iD's engine, which is super performant and even at native 1440p you can get 130+fps average with Raytracing on.

Day 1 patches to make things work have become common in the gaming industry. BF2 started this with a completely non-working server browser as a MP only game.

Just extend the release with a couple of days yourselfs. Non-issue for me if they fix things like that. Its weird but whatever.
something similar happened to Skyrim, where a patch 2 days after launch bugged the resistances on every version. I had to wait 7 days to properly play the game again, the hype was soooo high and it was sad. Due to certification protocols, the patch took 7 days to be published. The PC version had no certs to go through and took 2 days, but my laptop wasn's up for the task to play any game back then.

Let's not even mention PS3 version of skyrim which outright broke after a few hours of play for months 💀

Or last gen cyberpunk which should never have released to begin with

Let's not even mention PS3 version of skyrim which outright broke after a few hours of play for months 💀

Or last gen cyberpunk which should never have released to begin with
People like to pile on Cyberpunk, and the Xbox One performance was in fact very poor. But I do think that if you compare it to Skyrim on PS3, Cyberpunk on One might run smoother, and have less game breaking bugs.

"temporal upscaling" is what DLSS3 does with frame injection / creating new frames that didn't exist previously.

I'm happy with image reconstruction or spatial upscaling, but i'm not expert.
These are all industry terms, you guys shouldn't arbitrarily redefine them, it will be confusing. The new feature you're referring to in DlSS3 does frame generation. IMO it also might make sense to call it "interpolation" or "frame prediction".

"spatial upscaling/reconstruction" is far too vague to describe dlss(1/2), checkerboard, etc -- all images are spatial, and there are numerous ways to upscale an image, from the very simple (the bicubic sampling you see when you zoom in to an image on your web browser) to the highly complex (the machine learning image upscalers that try to invent detail and can take minutes or hours to run.) If you said "spatial" to me my first thought would be very simple filtering systems like bicubic or trilinear interpolation, which use only a coordinate and the position of that coordinate relative to surrounding pixels to generate a high res image.

Temporal upscaling refers to the type of upscaling/reconstruction techniques that use information spread out over time. This is the defining feature of taa and taau, dlss, checkerboard, and other similar techniques. Any additional data like ID buffers or motion vectors is used to improve the accuracy of the prior frames' data. These all have roughly the same challenges and limitations -- you need the bandwidth/memory to hold on to 1+n prior frames of data, you need to deal with ghosting, the image can soften, they can never provide any upscaling to a frame that's completely different than the previous frame, like after a camera cut etc. If you google "temporal upscaling" or "temporal reconstruction" you will find numerous industry sources, graphics programmer tweets and blogs, etc. Hell, temporal is the "T" in taa(u)!

It might be salvageable somewhat, Steam Reviews aggregate have already moved up to 'mixed', but obviously huge damage. Really the entire project was just far too rushed, I get the pressure with xmas and especially Dead Space in Jan, but I really think it at all financially possible it should have just been left in the tank for another 6 months. There are fundamental issues with this game beyond the technical.

Edit: Reading steam threads on this though, still doesn't sound completely fixed, opinions vary quite a bit. Still shader stuttering entering some new areas, low GPU utilization.

Last edited:
I'm a patron member, but it was in my youtube subscriptions so it shouldn't have been.
They usually have the patron only as unpublished or whatever so doesn't show up.
Weird okay. Hmm. I only saw it by email. I didn’t check the YouTube subs

These are all industry terms, you guys shouldn't arbitrarily redefine them, it will be confusing....
Going back to the original question though:
Is there a catch all term for smart upscaling techniques as a whole?
The one term that's appropriate for all techniques that aren't simple spatial interpolations is 'image reconstruction', of which 'temporal upscaling' is a subset, no? DLSS2 is even described as such by nVidia : DLSS 2.0 - Image Reconstruction for Real-time Rendering with Deep Learning

Going back to the original question though:

The one term that's appropriate for all techniques that aren't simple spatial interpolations is 'image reconstruction', of which 'temporal upscaling' is a subset, no? DLSS2 is even described as such by nVidia : DLSS 2.0 - Image Reconstruction for Real-time Rendering with Deep Learning
The umbrella just “upscaling” or “reconstruction” yeah, but all or most (I haven’t looked into or used all of them) of these popular “smart” techniques are temporal upscalers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back