Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and if your living room is setup with your couch 3ft away from your TV, this is how you would perceive the relative screen sizes. Otherwise... not so much.
Yeah I play close to screen otherwise would bought bigger tv

Last edited:
We're talking about displays for gaming here. If you want to watch TV, obviously just use a TV.

I'm not actually sure it is (or its very marginal if so) but I get the point you're trying to make, and here's why its wrong. Say you have a 40" screen which is definitely taller than mine, when gaming on it, you get the exact same vertical content, only bigger (which is entirely relative to your seating distance anyway). However you still get more content at the sides of the screen with the ultrawide. So overall size is irrelevant to vertical content. For gaming, you get more content on screen full stop with ultrawide. Productivity is different since that literally scales with pixel count which would be greater on a 4k screen, but I'd argue the wider aspect ratio is still more beneficial there for reasons outside the scope of this conversation.

Sounds to me like you're now arguing that wider is better so it looks like you're coming round to my argument ;)

You mean like OLED, supercars and enthusiast level GPUs? Since when did niche = not as good?

All modern games support the format so I see no issue in that regard.

No because a lot of games don't allow you to play ultrawide on a 16:9 screen with borders and even where they do, setting it up can be a pita.

You're comparing a PC GPUs and OLED with a supercar? They're are nice and all but I think you're overstating a little bit.

It's weird that a lot of gaming folks equate high end GPUs with being superior. I'm certain that a lots of the console guys here (myself included) can afford a high end GPU without impacting their finances. I was looking at buying a 3080 laptop the other day, then I realised it was utterly pointless since I wouldn't use except to fact check.

And ultrawide monitors are definitely niche when you can perform the same function using almost anything else.

lol, I'd love to see how deep a 65" CRT would be and the crane required to install in the front room!! :D

That is the price of true black ;)

I am a bit sad that Nano-CRT never materialised...because even to this date...even are still lacking behind the past.
Eg. true black is not present on LCD, IPS or OLED displays (despite what false PR says)

That is the price of true black ;)

I am a bit sad that Nano-CRT never materialised...because even to this date...even are still lacking behind the past.
Eg. true black is not present on LCD, IPS or OLED displays (despite what false PR says)

I'm unsure how a panel with no backlight that doesn't light a pixel isn't 'producing' black!?

I thought you were joking!? Can you link to something please

I'm unsure how a panel with no backlight that doesn't light a pixel isn't 'producing' black!?

Light leak or higher levels from other pixels that are not black drive up the levels of the "black pixels".

Or that's how I remember the situation being described years ago.

Eg. true black is not present on ... OLED displays (despite what false PR says)

What's the logic here? I don't have perfect eyesight but I can't identify light bleed the closest i can get to my panel. It's as black as the surface of the tv is turned off. I'm pretty fooled, along with every luminance meter.

Light leak or higher levels from other pixels that are not black drive up the levels of the "black pixels".

Or that's how I remember the situation being described years ago.

Surely that's a natural issue that would affect TVs also? Either way if it'll only be affecting some pixels, to say it can't produce black ("black is not present on LCD, IPS or OLED displays" seems a gross exaggeration.

Would love to read about it though and make my own mind up :)

You're comparing a PC GPUs and OLED with a supercar? They're are nice and all but I think you're overstating a little bit.

No. You've completely missed my point. I provided some examples of niche products to demonstrate why its wrong to associate niche with "not as good". I made no attempt at all to compare their relative "nicheness".

It's weird that a lot of gaming folks equate high end GPUs with being superior.

Weird? Its literally a quantifiable fact backed up by thousands of benchmarks across the span of decades.

In what way is a high end GPU not superior for playing games than a non high end GPU?

I'm certain that a lots of the console guys here (myself included) can afford a high end GPU without impacting their finances. I was looking at buying a 3080 laptop the other day, then I realised it was utterly pointless since I wouldn't use except to fact check.

Who mentioned consoles? I used enthusiast level GPUs as an example of a niche product thats "not worse" than its more mainstream counterparts. I said nothing about the console experience vs the PC experience.

And ultrawide monitors are definitely niche when you can perform the same function using almost anything else.

Except this is patently false. You cannot force a significant number of games to run in 21:9 with black bars on a 16:9 screen. You can with a few, but its a pain in the ass to configure.

I am so annoyed I threw out out Sony Trinitron monitor..
It was so fun doing A/B test with people thinking the flatpanels had good I.Q.

Putting the same movie on, side by side...even OLED looked FUBAR next to a proper CRT.
They always left with their head down.
(same thing with their "3D headsets" vs 7.1 THX sound btw...)

I am amazed (even though I should not be at my age) how fast people forget things and get used to lesser quality.

Our displays today are lacking in the same way that 3D sounds is in games today.

People awe at Atmos sound...but it cannot hold a candle to the EAX 5.0 sound of old days.
Today we have a current generation that thinks they are getting the best of tech today....and telling them otherwise tends to anger them..go figure.

It is really simple...image quality was lowered in order to get another form factor.
It is not a secret.
But it can (very amusing) anger people...

I am so annoyed I threw out out Sony Trinitron monitor..
It was so fun doing A/B test with people thinking the flatpanels had good I.Q.

Putting the same movie on, side by side...even OLED looked FUBAR next to a proper CRT.
They always left with their head down.
(same thing with their "3D headsets" vs 7.1 THX sound btw...)

I am amazed (even though I should not be at my age) how fast people forget things and get used to lesser quality.

crts are great dude, I would gladly pay thousands of dollars for a good modern crt and I'd consider replacing my oled with them. Doesn't mean they have deeper blacks than an oled, thats just false.

My QLED’s 1300nits HDR certainly makes GT Sport look another level vs the nice 40” Philips I once had and weighed 65kg. There’s just no two ways about it. I still have a small fairly light CRT around for PS2 light gun fun among others too. Don’t romanticize these things too much though.

I am hoping in a few years there will be some nice miniLED based TVs, that seems like something with a lot of potential. I get John, it can be nice for old games. They need all the free motion blur and AA they can get [emoji16]

Im using my LG oled as a secondary display for my main gaming pc, while dedicated pc monitors are still superior in many ways, TV's have come a long way. Anyway it doesnt matter, PC connects to TV's just as nicely and comfortably as any console ;)

My QLED’s 1300nits HDR certainly makes GT Sport look another level vs the nice 40” Philips I once had and weighed 65kg. There’s just no two ways about it. I still have a small fairly light CRT around for PS2 light gun fun among others too. Don’t romanticize these things too much though.
Yeah how can you romantize something that made a high pitched squeal when it was on ( though maybe now my tinnitus damaged ears couldnt hear this ), plus the heat/weight
https://www.provideocoalition.com/the_crt_replacement_is_here-_finally/

I dont know if theres anything that CRTs are better than other screen types, its certainly not the blacks, maybe viewing angle?

OLED_blacks_compared.jpg

Best memories i have from gaming on crts are headhache and eye pain after long sessions.
mine was you had to stick playing cards under the channel selector to hold it in the right place, otherwise you would lose the picture, often you would have to wack the side of the screen when you lose the picture (never understood why that worked as you would think it would have the opposite effect(*))

(*)OK thanks to the internet -
This practice is generally known as 'Percussive Maintenance'.

Any touching contacts, for instance in connectors, valves and their bases, and between the wiper of a potentiometer and the track, have a tendency to build an insulating film between the contacts. This happens most readily at higher temperatures, in high humidity, and when there is airborne contamination, especially sulphides. This can introduce higher resistance, non-linear behaviour, or break contact altogether. It can produce intermittent behaviour, changing with humidity, or voltage across the junction.

Sending a mechanical shock through the equipment can move the contacts with respect to each other, disrupting the film, and restoring contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back