Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I'd like to watch films with grey blacks...likewise I think I'd sacrifice the view for the better blacks, I mean, there's only so much you can concentrate on in a game...but that's just me.

Let's not exaggerate. OLEDs have deeper blacks which are mostly noticeable in dark environments and dark games. Its an advantage to be sure, but generally not that noticeable outside of those circumstances compared to a high quality non OLED panel.

Picture quality on my OLED is generally better than the quantum dot LED IPS panel on my monitor but tbh I don't really notice it outside of very dark environments when the ambient light is low. OLEDs quality is more apparent on TV/film IMO.

And let's not forget that the experience you describe above is what 99% of console gamers are experiencing but I don't hear too many complaints about the colour black being non existent.

You must hate films.
watch mostly tvseries netflix/prime/hbo, also much better with 16:9 aspect ratio
Picture quality on my OLED is generally better than the quantum dot LED IPS panel on my monitor but tbh I don't really notice it outside of very dark environments when the ambient light is low. OLEDs quality is more apparent on TV/film IMO.
I would say mostly in games as blacks are perfect in games to have perfect in movies you have to have realy good quality one

Let's not exaggerate. OLEDs have deeper blacks which are mostly noticeable in dark environments and dark games. Its an advantage to be sure, but generally not that noticeable outside of those circumstances compared to a high quality non OLED panel.

And let's not forget that the experience you describe above is what 99% of console gamers are experiencing but I don't hear too many complaints about the colour black being non existent.
I generally play in darker environments TBH, and watch The Expanse and come back to me...once you have true blacks you can't go back! :p

Edit - I just thought, can't you just get a bigger OLED and play in 21:9 and have the best of both worlds?

Edit 2 - most people I would think watch movies in a darker environment to...if it's a film you want to really 'sit and watch' you'll try to recreate the cinema experience IMHO

Last edited:
jdidn't like quite short but wide especialy for other things than games (like for example youtube)

For @see colon benefit, this is inaccurate.

Ultra wide-screen has the same height as 16:9 in terms of the content displayed on screen. What you're getting is additional content at the sides that would be off screen on a 16:9 display.

To give give one practical example, racing games feel faster as you can see more of the landscape rushing by at each side.

Its similar to having a wider fov in VR. Did you ever hear of anyone wishing that headsets would reduce the fov?

Ultra wide-screen has the same height as 16:9 in terms of the content displayed on screen. What you're getting is additional content at the sides that would be off screen on a 16:9 display.

To give give one practical example, racing games feel faster as you can see more of the landscape rushing by at each side.

Its similar to having a wider fov in VR. Did you ever hear of anyone wishing that headsets would reduce the fov?

Obviously there are advantages, the question is of they are worth sacrificing one for the other...it's very much a personal choice, but you give one example of a genre of games - so it's not selling me ;)

Obviously if you're a racing game nut it'd make sense.

as wrote earlier most conntent is in 16:9 apsect and look bad on ultrawide monitors (tvseries, documentaries on netflix/prime/hbo). About height, your 38inch ultrawide is shorter than 32 inch 16:9, if you like work on it its ok as I said its just preference, to work I would still prefer just two 16:9 monitors vs one ultrawide (and hardcore simracers use 3 16:9 monitors not one ultrawide), and to games and tvseries its not even comparable to big oled imho.

as wrote earlier most conntent is in 16:9 apsect and look bad on ultrawide monitors (tvseries, documentaries on netflix/prime/hbo). About height, your 38inch ultrawide is shorter than 32 inch 16:9, if you like work on it its ok as I said its just preference, to work I would still prefer just two 16:9 monitors vs one ultrawide (and hardcore simracers use 3 16:9 monitors not one ultrawide), and to games and tvseries its not even comparable to big oled imho.
Yeah, didn't think about multi-monitor which is going to be even better for racing games...

I generally play in darker environments TBH, and watch The Expanse and come back to me...once you have true blacks you can't go back! :p

Yes the Expanse is definitely better watched on an OLED which is where I watched it. Awesome series.

There are very few games which have a similarly dark presentation though. For those few that do, I would certainly consider playing them on the OLED over the monitor.

Edit - I just thought, can't you just get a bigger OLED and play in 21:9 and have the best of both worlds?

Not on a console obviously! On PC you can try (I did, extensively) but its hit and miss as not all games will allow you to play with borders. When it works it works well though, but you have to shuffle the couch/chair weirdly close to the TV to replicate a monitor experience. Also, I realise its a niche tech but you can forget about ambilight with a TV. And once you've gone ambilight, you don't go back.

Obviously there are advantages, the question is of they are worth sacrificing one for the other...it's very much a personal choice, but you give one example of a genre of games - so it's not selling me ;)

Obviously if you're a racing game nut it'd make sense.

This was one random example. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how other genres would also benefit (spoiler: they do).

Ultrawide is quite niche. Surely it's better to just get a bigger TV/monitor proportional to whatever ultrawide screen you're planning on getting? It's only the bezel that'd be different.

Edit: unless they pack the same number of pixels into a different aspect ratio *shrugs*.

Last edited by a moderator:
as wrote earlier most conntent is in 16:9 apsect and look bad on ultrawide monitors (tvseries, documentaries on netflix/prime/hbo).

We're talking about displays for gaming here. If you want to watch TV, obviously just use a TV.

About height, your 38inch ultrawide is shorter than 32 inch 16:9,

I'm not actually sure it is (or its very marginal if so) but I get the point you're trying to make, and here's why its wrong. Say you have a 40" screen which is definitely taller than mine, when gaming on it, you get the exact same vertical content, only bigger (which is entirely relative to your seating distance anyway). However you still get more content at the sides of the screen with the ultrawide. So overall size is irrelevant to vertical content. For gaming, you get more content on screen full stop with ultrawide. Productivity is different since that literally scales with pixel count which would be greater on a 4k screen, but I'd argue the wider aspect ratio is still more beneficial there for reasons outside the scope of this conversation.

if you like work on it its ok as I said its just preference, to work I would still prefer just two 16:9 monitors vs one ultrawide (and hardcore simracers use 3 16:9 monitors not one ultrawide),

Sounds to me like you're now arguing that wider is better so it looks like you're coming round to my argument ;)

Ultrawide is quite niche.

You mean like OLED, supercars and enthusiast level GPUs? Since when did niche = not as good?

All modern games support the format so I see no issue in that regard.

Surely it's better to just get a bigger TV/monitor proportional to whatever ultrawide screen you're planning on getting? It's only the bezel that'd be different.

No because a lot of games don't allow you to play ultrawide on a 16:9 screen with borders and even where they do, setting it up can be a pita.

We're talking about displays for gaming here. If you want to watch TV, obviously just use a TV.

I'm not actually sure it is (or its very marginal if so) but I get the point you're trying to make, and here's why its wrong. Say you have a 40" screen which is definitely taller than mine, when gaming on it, you get the exact same vertical content, only bigger (which is entirely relative to your seating distance anyway). However you still get more content at the sides of the screen with the ultrawide. So overall size is irrelevant to vertical content. For gaming, you get more content on screen full stop with ultrawide. better so it looks like you're coming round to my argument ;)
I have 55 oled and as I said would never go back from this to much smaller lcd monitor for gaming and tvseries ;)
http://www.displaywars.com/55-inch-16x9-vs-38-inch-21x9

I have 55 oled and as I said would never go back from this to much smaller lcd monitor ;)

I entirely understand. Obviously on PS5 you're locked out of most of the advantages.

I also have a 55" OLED but it felt small even compared to my old 27" monitor at their normal viewing distances. I got the ultrawide 38" for an even bigger viewport (I'd estimate I have around 3-4x the perceived viewport size on the monitor VS the TV) and the superior gaming aspect ratio. Perceived viewport size will obviously be unique to each individuals setup.

Edit 2 - most people I would think watch movies in a darker environment to...if it's a film you want to really 'sit and watch' you'll try to recreate the cinema experience IMHO

So you are saying the Expanse should be viewed on a CRT? ;)

I entirely understand. Obviously on PS5 you're locked out of most of the advantages.

I also have a 55" OLED but it felt small even compared to my old 27" monitor at their normal viewing distances.

I was planning to get a 55' TV but was surprised to find it not a big upgrade from a 42', so ended up cashing out for a 65'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back