Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked through more content on WCCF and found the part I was vaguely recalling, it's from an interview with a Principal Engineer, Karthik Vaidyanathan.

https://wccftech.com/intel-xess-interview-karthik-vaidyanathan/

Usman: Does XeSS work on hardware with no XMX or DP4a support with an FP16 or FP32 fallback?​

Karthik: No, not at the moment. We will look into it, but I cannot commit to anything at this point. Even, if you were able to do it, there's the big question of performance and whether its justified.​
if I was on microsoft place and know this would even stronger push with intel this xess reconstruction ;d

If Sony can offer a Checkerboard Rendering 2.0 that decreases the performance cost and increases the consistency of it's quality across games I think that'll be enough to get them by if they don't have any way to realistically use ML in the real world.
I would expect most of the titles to move toward temporal upsampling without checkerboard patterns.

Without seeing what a hypothetical CB2.0 would look like it's difficult to make such a judgement.
CB is not the easiest to implement due to sample locations and does need quite bit of extra work on several passes.

Methods using ordered grid as a base, do have their advantage on this.

so its just your hypothethical not existent tech but you debating it will be easier and more consistent, hm ok ;d

No, it's just you not being able to follow a conversation of mine properly, which wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes:

So on that basis, added to my ignore list.

Reactions: snc
Good to hear that he's going to make a video on it! We all are tired of it. :yep2:

I can't wait to see that video and I hope he goes in on 'em (in a respectful way of course) It's a legitimate issue with many games these days, and while I understand it's a complex issue, more needs to be done to ensure that games aren't releasing in such a state.

(btw I hope you don't get banned but you should probably edit out the swear just in case)

Last edited:
We really see an engine limit here. Not so much of a hardware limit. It is basically still the old engine (dx9 based) on xbox. The slimmer API layer on PS4/5 helps here.

Still not understanding why e.g. the dragon scene in the beginning should bring framerates down, other than an engine limit. There are not so many alpha textures in the view (other than the fire), but the games engine seems to do there something with it that really doesn't scale well. Keep in mind, this game ran on xb360/ps3 and was just "upscaled" (new effects were added, resolution increased, texture res increased) to look good on new systems. I guess the GPUs are just limited in one specific spot while the rest idles around.

We really see an engine limit here. Not so much of a hardware limit. It is basically still the old engine (dx9 based) on xbox. The slimmer API layer on PS4/5 helps here.

Still not understanding why e.g. the dragon scene in the beginning should bring framerates down, other than an engine limit. There are not so many alpha textures in the view (other than the fire), but the games engine seems to do there something with it that really doesn't scale well. Keep in mind, this game ran on xb360/ps3 and was just "upscaled" (new effects were added, resolution increased, texture res increased) to look good on new systems. I guess the GPUs are just limited in one specific spot while the rest idles around.

DF did did mention that the Alpha effects are full resolution, so maybe that's the reason? Dropping them to half res would likely enable both machines to run at a locked 60fps at native 4k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back