Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put yourself in that shit hole bracket if you like, but don't drag the rest of us into it.

You can easily identify fans from fanboys. Fans are often the most critical of the things they like, fanboys will contort logic and facts to defend what they like.

Calm down, Rodders! It was joke!

I’ve been lurking since ps2 days and this place is rampant with it.

lol it does? hmm I was always under the impression that the 5700XT was competing fairly on par with the 2070. Which is quite an achievement considering that the Turing INT32 performance is not included in the flop count but certainly reflective on benchmarks.

Sorry, I thought I'd hit post on this last night, but I must have failed to do so while watching The Three Musketeers (2011) on Netflix and getting drunk. Don't watch it, I beg you.

As @pjbliverpool said I was talking about ray tracing performance (that's what I meant by RT), where I expect next gen consoles to be okay but still behind Turing.

In general none ray tracing, none DLSS terms then I think it's fair enough to consider 5700XT and 2070 as competitors. Especially given how much variance there is, and how AMD have delivered at least a little of their annual batch of "fine wine" drivers.

Sorry, I thought I'd hit post on this last night, but I must have failed to do so while watching The Three Musketeers (2011) on Netflix and getting drunk. Don't watch it, I beg you.
Sounds like quite the night.

As @pjbliverpool said I was talking about ray tracing performance (that's what I meant by RT), where I expect next gen consoles to be okay but still behind Turing.

In general none ray tracing, none DLSS terms then I think it's fair enough to consider 5700XT and 2070 as competitors. Especially given how much variance there is, and how AMD have delivered at least a little of their annual batch of "fine wine" drivers.
At the moment, I am at the same guess as you. Raster/general compute performance will line up higher on the GPU totem - but RT usage will be comparatively slower.

will we see cases of multiplat games using RT on XsX and not on PS5 to close the GPU gap. Will be interesting to see.

I don't believe the gap will be this hugh (rt on / off). But maybe lower reflection resolution , etc, yes. But right now, from the videos we've seen from first party games, it seems devs are doing ok with RT right now on ps5... We fill find out pretty soon.

will we see cases of multiplat games using RT on XsX and not on PS5 to close the GPU gap. Will be interesting to see.
I don't expect it to be an all or nothing situation.
For any platform or DX12U card.
I expect engines to be even more hybrid than we thought. They will use a combination of RT and faking it, at different times in different places based on RT performance of the target platform.
Starting to already see the start of that approach.
don't believe the gap will be this hugh (rt on / off). But maybe lower reflection resolution , etc, yes.
I should've mentioned that I also expected things like that also.

I don't expect it to be an all or nothing situation.
For any platform or DX12U card.
I expect engines to be even more hybrid than we thought. They will use a combination of RT and faking it, at different times in different places based on RT performance of the target platform.
Starting to already see the start of that approach.
I should've mentioned that I also expected things like that also.
I agree. If the difference really is like the difference between a 2060S and a 2070S, then it won't be ON/OFF, It will be ON/ON+lower res or precision.

No we won't. The difference (if there is any) will be seen on resolution or stability of framerate. Interestingly the first multiplat game (that we have seen) with RT enabled (DMC5) won't even have RT on XSX at launch.

Leaving this here

Most numbers are from techpowerup.

upload_2020-10-5_13-57-21.png

If we are talking about RT performance, yes XBSX and PS5 are probably closer to a 2060S. Actually the XBSX I do believe has less INT4 performance than the 2060.

If we are talking about RT performance, yes XBSX and PS5 are probably closer to a 2060S. Actually the XBSX I do believe has less INT4 performance than the 2060.
Both are below the RT performance when comparing RT cores to RT cores.

As for Int4 and Int8 performance, that's on the ML side of things. Which you're correct, due to tensor cores is also below 2060

Leaving this here

Most numbers are from techpowerup.

View attachment 4715

For RT, probably, yes. But for the rest the PS5 is on-par with a 2080 (or 2070s). On console they can optimize ram bandwidth requirements so the bandwidth difference shouldn't be a problem.

If I'm reading that correctly, general PS5 performance is between 2070S and the 2080S, only with slower ray tracing performance. Sounds extremely promising considering the costs of those cards.

How are the ray tracing abilities calculated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back