Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Jan 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

hahahah, gosh1!!!! I hadn't seen the video until today and the lit candles gracing the original Crysis just made my day. That reminds me the shrines in my region, which are unique in the world -long story- but yeah, there are candles, and even coins to gain some favour.

pharma, Dictator and PSman1700 like this.
  2. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

Yes but that's the equivalent of a 4GB GPU from the start of this gen rather than the 2GB models that have been discussed on recent pages.

Over time though its totally reasonable to expect Turing to fall back vs consoles given that the code running on consoles will become more optimised vs less optimised (and eventually unsupported completely) in Turing case.

3. Dictator

Regular Newcomer

Yeah one thing we really wanted to try and check out but never got the chance to yet was to take a 4 GB version of the radeion R265 or 275 (i forget the exact model number) and put it against an early gen title and a late gen one like Horizon or Death Stranding and compare that to the Ps4. That GPU (the 265/275 or whatever it is called) is incredibly close specswise to the PS4 GPU but with a larger vram pool than the 7850 or 7870 ever shipped with. We would then look to see how that fairs against the PS4. Sadly, Horizon is not a good port and Death Stranding has limits on DX 12 support which require tiled resources level that GPU does not support (due to them adding in PRT to the PC verison which was not in the PS4 verision).

One day we will find the proper title to do that with. Maybe a call of duty or something.

Pete, pharma, ThePissartist and 4 others like this.
  4. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

There's a pretty big power difference between them, but that'd make for interesting viewing.

Or revisit this :p

5. pjbliverpool

Legend

I've been waiting years for an article along those lines (redux every generation). I think its the R265 you're thinking of which is basically the PS4 GPU in desktop format. A few games I'd consider to represent the pinnacle of the non exclusive console generation outside of those already mentioned would be RDR2, Doom Eternal, maybe AC Odyssey.

PSman1700 likes this.
  6. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

I think the 2013 consoles generation was the first where you didnt have to upgrade if you had a matching GPU at the time of launch, and could have the PC setup for an entire generation. Even the best looking pc game still runs as well on the 7850. Same settings as base ps4.

7. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

COD Black Ops Cold War: PS4 Pro Beta - A Match For PC Max Settings?

pharma likes this.
  8. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Dude, no. It really doesn't. I've just demonstrated several examples to the contrary. Your video is also contrarian to what you're saying.

9. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Keep it civil please.

I can come with just as many to prove my point, i said that before. But with HZD, it goes to show that a 2gb 7850 can handle this game just fine.

It shows that a native PS4 game, one of the best looking ones at that, runs fine on a 7850, which was a close match to the base PS4 in 2013, and it still is today. The video even shows 'original' settings which is a match for the PS4, and a very close to 30fps.

Cyan likes this.
  10. turkey

Veteran Newcomer

I got all excited when a new DF video popped up on my feed, I thought it's been a week this must be the next Xbox Series X drop....

The annual Sony COD demos I mean Alpha and beta coverage whilst good did not quite hit the next gen spot.

Jay and PSman1700 like this.
  11. techuse

Regular Newcomer

The benchmark is not representative of in game performance. You have been through this several times with multiple posters. To achieve a solid 30fps in gameplay the 7850 has to run at 720p.

ThePissartist likes this.
  12. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

...he said "Dude"
    It will absolutely choke in gameplay. I mean not the best pick as it's not exactly a stellar port, but if you're going to use it, you've gotta use actual gameplay. Even in the benchmark it's hitting 27fps, there will be plenty of places in the actual game where it will be in the low 20's (such as when it starts raining).

13. senis_kenis

Newcomer

Not even 30fps at 720p on low setting, probably low vram and pcie bus over saturation is the problem, because gpu is faster in theory:

14. ThePissartist

Veteran Regular

Wrong again. Here it is in gameplay

720p and 33% slower framerate. That is incredibly far away from being a "close match".

Edit: beaten to it.

Johnny Awesome and Lalaland like this.
  15. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Il keep to benchmarks to measure performance. They are there for a reason.
    Nice 'edit' btw ;)

16. techuse

Regular Newcomer

That vid is not low settings, its the original preset. But ya its a poor showing no matter how you look at it. Consoles age far better than PC hardware, especially when looking at the Nvidia side where long term value absolutely tanks.

17. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Yes indeed midrange 2012 hardware keeps up with 2013 consoles.

18. techuse

Regular Newcomer

It's nearly the exact same silicon. The differences are so incredibly minor. The enormous gulf in aging is all on the software side, at least when comparing to AMD PC hardware.

Johnny Awesome and London Geezer like this.
  19. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Exactly.

Cyan likes this.
  20. pjbliverpool

Legend

The much smaller local memory likely plays a big factor too.

PSman1700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.