Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox One X is less than 3 years old.
And has, thus far, gotten a handful of enhancement patches. Certainly not any games that take full advantage of the hardware.
I promise you that owners of XBX do not feel like they have gotten sufficient content yet.
I would say that 1X has had decent enough support. Sure early on it would have been nice for more already released games to get patched.

Current gen will still get decent support regardless of 1P for a reasonable amount of time.
I don't know what the general consensus is from 4pro and 1X owners are though to be fair, but I haven't come across much complaining.

And now he's come out and said studios can do what they think is best.
Spencer's position was only going to make any form of sense in the very extremely short term, and really was badly handled pr from the start.

He actually just doubled down on the vision mentioned in the IGN article on Gary Whitta's show. You should listen to it once it goes up on his YouTube channel.

Tommy McClain

I promise you that owners of XBX do not feel like they have gotten sufficient content yet.

Your promise is broken. I have gotten plenty of content already and will upgrade to XBSX on day one. Do not speak for all OneX owners.

Just because I'm getting a XBSX doesn't mean I'm replacing all my Xbox One consoles. I will still want to continue the fight on those when my Series X is being used by others in my family. Phil's vision lets me continue to play the games I want to play on the devices I want to play on. Remove Xbox One support from Halo Infinite & he breaks that promise.

Tommy McClain

Well over 500$ for ps5 ? Something gone wrong here.
A few months ago the Sony CFO said that the console cost $450 to make. What makes you think that they will sell it over $500? I can see $500 or $450 or even $400 but I don't see them charging over $500 or even well over $500.

Nope. The $399 magical unicorn days are over! At least for the higher-spec'd machines anyhow.

The PS5 SE BOM will be around $560-$570 dollars, and $520-$530 for the PS5 DE. The XBSX BOM will be around $590-$620 dollars, and $340-$355 for the XBSS. Mind you, these estimations don't take into account other outside factors or logistics (e.g., testing/QC, packaging, crating, warehousing, shipping, etc.) which may or mayn’t be factored into the overall BOM cost.

What I see happening...
XBSX:
$499 ($90-$120 loss per unit)
PS5 Standard Edition (SE): $499 ($60-$70 loss per unit)
PS5 Digital Edition (DE): $449 ($70-$80 loss per unit)
XBSS: $299 ($40-$55 loss per unit)

I believe Sony will eat slightly more ($10-$20) upfront with the PS5 digital edition, rather than swallowing greater BOM losses trying to reach the $449 or $399 price-point with the PS5 standard edition.
I tend to agree but where do you get your BoM from? Pretty sure I saw 470 for XSX? Also interested in a breakdown for the XSS. Also the thought is Sony/MS will eat more loss on the digital only consoles as they are expected to make more back through the digital sales (certainly PS5). So I’m thinking 400 for that.

If anyone was going to hit $399 with their console we wouldn't still be waiting for a price announcement, I think $499 remains the low end of what we can expect from PS5 (either) or XBSX.
500 for the cheapest PS5 contradicts Sonys plans for a fast transition

that may be why they are both waiting to make a move, they don't want to appear as the more expensive one.

It won't matter if the cheapest is 500 - neither will sell quickly (after initital rush) - that's a 20% increase on PS4 for a digital version and 550-600 for the disk version?

If they are hitting 400 they still might want to hold of time for a reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back