Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unreal Engine in its stock form produces very unimpressive visuals and performance. Its only when Sony or Microsoft 1st party completely retool the rendering that it competes. Bespoke solutions such as Decima, ND engine, frostbite, RAGE etc produce far superior visuals and performance.
Unreal's real strength has always been it's editor and tools. It's never been the most efficient when it comes to end product performance, but it's on the creation side where it shines.

Unreal's real strength has always been it's editor and tools. It's never been the most efficient when it comes to end product performance, but it's on the creation side where it shines.
i found out of box, it looks pretty good actually.
Performance however, yea... it can be fairly bad once you try to do anything outside indie/AA scope I think. It's very easy to blow your performance budget in that engine.

I saw that in the trailer and thought it's RT LOD. You wouldn't have these missing elements in screen-space reflections.
ironically, I still think SSR makes a lot of sense for normal racing conditions given the typical camera angles relative to the road. It just needs RT to handle the corner cases there.

Are car garages normally this shiny? :p I'd rather have higher quality RT on just the car in the garage if it came down to showing things off (screen).

Performance however, yea... it can be fairly bad once you try to do anything outside indie/AA scope I think. It's very easy to blow your performance budget in that engine.

Yep. You just need to compare Gears 5 and Borderlands. Same engine, two completely different outcomes.

I'm not sure Hellblade has any huge parts of the engine rewritten, and while it certainly falls into the AA category, it's still a looker that runs pretty well on most systems. But overall, I would agree. It has unbalanced performance. It's also a bit CPU heavy for current consoles, IMHO. But really easy to work with.

sounds like shared technologies from R&C and Spiderman. Expecting the same implementation here.

ironically, I still think SSR makes a lot of sense for normal racing conditions given the typical camera angles relative to the road. It just needs RT to handle the corner cases there.

This stuff will keep DF busy for years. "Here you can see the desk reflected in the marble floor, but curiously not the chair, although the mans upper torso is reflected except for his watch on his right hand, which while not being reflected in the marble floor, does itself reflect light from this lamp". :runaway:

I am dreading nextgen console warrior arguments already.

This stuff will keep DF busy for years. "Here you can see the desk reflected in the marble floor, but curiously not the chair, although the mans upper torso is reflected except for his watch on his right hand, which while not being reflected in the marble floor, does itself reflect light from this lamp". :runaway:

I am dreading nextgen console warrior arguments already.
but it's a lot better of a discussion than resolution, much better discussion. It's the area we'll see the most innovation and compromise and creativity. Certainly more fun than pixel counting. We may save their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back