Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your work on Ray Tracing is helping to shed some real commentary on how developers are implementing hybrid Ray Tracing into games and is perhaps among the most useful and insightful discussion we continue to have on the topic; one that is largely dominated between the voices of “it just works” to “Don’t see a difference, RT sucks”.

Going through the graphical settings and teaching viewers what to look for to spot the differences, and going in depth on how Ray Tracing can augment an existing Voxel GI method are the types of discussion we need to have today as a community as we move forward into a generation of consoles with ray tracing support. Too often I read comments that which people confuse what ray tracing is; how they think ray tracing changes the quality of the graphics; and a common misunderstanding of why we may need it in games today. In an art form in which there is a artistic and highly technical element; the addition of hybrid ray tracing has made these concepts even harder for people to grasp as ray tracing isn’t some sort of certification or graphical bar; or if it should or shouldn’t look one way or another.

I suspect you will be very busy in 2020.

I know we haven’t been discussing your articles much (this forum can be quiet at times), but I watch them all. And pocket your information for retrieval when needed.

Please keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Thanks to this DF article on Bloodstained... (PS4 Pro is the best performer but 1080p only, Xbox One X is 4k native but sometimes framerate drops below 60 fps, Switch version has some issues, PS4 and Xbox base consoles are generally similar performance wise, but far from perfect).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...oodstained-is-brilliant-but-switch-has-issues

The article led me to a little jewel I hadn't seen before. .

The DF SOTN video --Saturn version was a missed opportunity it seems, I completed the famous 200.6% of SOTN on the X360.

Is it me or John's voice sounds younger? Could it be the more amateurish DF equipment used at the time, specially the mic?

Congrats @Dictator

where is the DF retro atari lynx analysis ?
or they should do a retro handheld showdown, comparing Gameboy vs Gamegear vs Lynx vs PC Engine GT

Thanks to this DF article on Bloodstained... (PS4 Pro is the best performer but 1080p only, Xbox One X is 4k native but sometimes framerate drops below 60 fps, Switch version has some issues, PS4 and Xbox base consoles are generally similar performance wise, but far from perfect).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...oodstained-is-brilliant-but-switch-has-issues

The article led me to a little jewel I hadn't seen before. .

The DF SOTN video --Saturn version was a missed opportunity it seems, I completed the famous 200.6% of SOTN on the X360.

Is it me or John's voice sounds younger? Could it be the more amateurish DF equipment used at the time, specially the mic?

Congrats @Dictator
why did it say Hideo at 12.15? :p

Dragon Quest Builders 2 Switch vs PS4 PRO

dqb2.jpg

• SWITCH DOCKED and PORTABLE have similar performance profile, and generally hovers around 20-30fps delivering relatively smooth gameplay. Only bogged-down by certain user-generated level to 7 fps.

• PS4 PRO delivers the best performance at 50-60 fps but can go down to 17 fps when taxed with certain user-generated map.

• ALL PLATFORMS delivers similar visual quality with Nintendo Switch look a wee bit less sharp and detailed in the distance.
This is a TLDR for Digital Foundry analysis

---

It seems the game is heavily CPU bound, and it have no frame caps, resulting in the annoying heat/fan noise/battery drain.

Last edited:
"The Coalition's working on Gears 5 and a recent tech test showcases work-in-progress action on Xbox One X and PC. Alex Battaglia brings you a complete technical readout of the public-facing code."

Nice multiplayer performance on XBO-X. It shows how good Microsoft's variable resolution is at keeping a stable frame rate. Not a single drop below 60 FPS in multiplayer versus mode.

The singleplayer bootcamp simulation though does have drops. Perhaps indicative of trying to force higher resolutions over frame rate for SP? An odd choice if so. Alternatively it could indicate the greater load that SP places on the system (more assets and more varied assets than MP) and perhaps SP hasn't been optimized as much as the MP has been WRT variable resolution.

Regards,
SB

I wonder if the game will support VRR in addition to variable resolution? While inferior to variable resolution (IMO) it could certainly help in those cases where variable resolution can't maintain a stable framerate.

That said, it's still pre-launch, so it just may be a case that the single player experience will be further optimized in order to achieve a more stable framerate with variable resolution. Multiplayer was likely the focus at first as it is essential to have a locked 60 FPS experience in that mode. So it's reasonable to think that the single player experience hasn't been fully optimized yet.

Regards,
SB

Feels like they should just lock it to 1440p for a more stable 60fps, 50-60 is just too shaky.
As per Alex; it’s unclear if it’s a resolution or cpu issue. I would suspect if it was a GPU issue the resolution would have scaled down.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...e-tech-discussion.132867/page-2#post-23392891

We actually used an earlier, more limited version of this technique on Infinite Warfare, I'm not sure if Michal talked about it publicly though (or if Johan thought of it originally, been a while). It's not strictly true to call it just a software technique, either, the details are pretty complicated. Michal is pretty excited about it so I imagine you'll see us publish around it next year

Interesting Variable rate shading is possible on current gen console using low level API

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...e-tech-discussion.132867/page-2#post-23403391

No, it required access to the MSAA hardware and render target formats in a way that is not possible on PC.

We did publish on this, see page 35 onwards from this presentation.

https://research.activision.com/publications/archives/rendering-of-call-of-dutyinfinite-warfare

https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...e-tech-discussion.132867/page-3#post-23409578

A similar result would be possible via variable rate shading functionality.

Gamescom 2019: did ray tracing finally find its killer app?
Hands on with the new range of RTX-accelerated games.

There were many highlights for Digital Foundry at this year's Gamescom, from the impressive Switch line-up to the hugely impressive retro-inspired Wrath: Aeon of Ruin. We'll be covering both of those soon - but with the absence of any next-gen console reveal, it was Nvidia that provided the most tantalising glimpse of the future of games technology. Almost one year after its RTX video cards launched, there's the sense that support for hardware-accelerated ray tracing is gathering momentum and in Minecraft RTX, there's a near-total implementation of RT that sets the imagination on fire.

It's a far cry from the launch of the RTX cards at the tail end of September last year - a debut for new Nvidia hardware that fell short of its potential due to a lack of software support. Rasterisation performance gains over existing Pascal-based GPUs were minimal, meaning that the experience of gaming using, say, an RTX 2080 was virtually interchangeable with the existing GTX 1080 Ti in the same price bracket.

Ray tracing demonstrations at Gamescom 2018 showed rich potential, but nothing launched alongside the hardware - and even when showpiece game Battlefield 5 arrived with RT support, it took weeks of further development to get performance into the right place. More than that though, the briliant Metro Exodus aside, it was difficult to see where the momentum would come for further ray tracing support. Where were the big triple-A launches with RTX features?

What's clear from this week's Gamescom showing is that lessons have been learned and the outlook for RTX has improved considerably, which at the same time helps to lay the groundwork for ray tracing support in the games - and the consoles - to come. Kicking off with the big triple-A titles, Nvidia's statement of intent from both E3 and Gamescom is clear: the most prominent releases will be receiving ray tracing support. The extent of that support obviously varies on a case-by-case basis, but the fact that games including COD Modern Warfare, Watch Dogs Legion, Dying Light 2 - and of course, Cyberpunk 2077 - will receive ray tracing features is a big deal.

Read the rest of the article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-gamescom-and-the-future-ray-tracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back