Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shifty Geezer, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

You can't expect much of posts about it here, we are mostly console oriented. Many other places do appreciate your content though.The Minecraft RT video is a range-topping 1.1m youtube video also.
    Didn't you also cover the death stranding trailer?

2. Xbat

Veteran Newcomer

I understand that but they released the video after the AMD conference. They should of released it earlier than they did.

3. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

"It's the third Digital Foundry Direct! And in this 'guerrilla' episode, arch streaming sceptic John Linneman gives his verdict on Stadia running Doom Eternal and checks out a range of E3 demos, including the incredible Cyberpunk 2077! Many thanks to special guest Audi Sorlie for helping out with this one."

Cyan, Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  4. Shoujoboy

Newcomer

You've got a point, no one can have a perfect batting average.
    I don't want to sound like I'm calling out anyone specific on the team ! In fact, I think your content is great as well.
    Any videos that feature yourself, Richard and John whether it's solo or a team, usually come loaded with accurate
    detailed information about what is or could potentially be going on in a given scene.

And I don't want to give the impression that I don't watch just about every video you guys drop.
    I've spent more hours than I'm willing to admit, watching and rewatching Digital Foundry content, not to mention
    you guys have influenced several of my purchases including helping to decide which platform to buy on !
    Beyond3d is what made me a Digital Foundry Fan and the technical aspects are what keep me coming back.

With that said I don't want to see you guys fall into that Youtube "Games Journalist" camp, you're not YongYea or ReviewTechUsa or AngryJoe,
    you're the guys who geek out about games and have enough technical knowledge to stand head and shoulders above most everyone.
    (The E3 coverage still features that of course ! I don't want to sound like I'm saying it doesn't ! :) )

I may have sounded a bit bummed out about the E3 coverage but I'm still watching !
    And I now understand why certain content is being made, keep up the good work.

5. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

DF's hay day was last gen. With 360 and PS3 being completely opposite in terms of arch, yet so close on performance, there was fun to be had each time new face off was posted.

These days, with both MS and Sony going to same vendor for SOCs, with same requirements and same budget, they have to stretch their analysis so many people feel they fell of. Its just the nature of technology we have in this day and age, and they have to put a bread on the table somehow.

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  6. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

I would agree with this. There was a real mystery as to who would have the better running or looking version of game back then (even though it was usually Xbox). Now the only mystery is between Pro/X, and that's usually down to some strange optimization done on one platform.

egoless likes this.
  7. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Honestly, I think DF’s future lies in giving more sophisticated looks into gaming technology and less gushing about minute differences at the pixel level.

I wonder what it would look like to try to reveal the utility of temporal based techniques using slow mo videos that gradually speed up to show how the techniques produces an effect over a number of frames.

VS works really well at the beginning of gen but it feels like beating a dead horse after 4-5 years into a gen.

#347 dobwal, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Their future lies in giving the masses what they want. Whichever articles are the popular ones will be made, and if that's lower brow stuff...that's free-market economics for you. ;)

Xbat likes this.
  9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Translation: There will always be masses of console warriors fighting it out to own the machine with the biggest e-peen. :p

Regards,
    SB

egoless likes this.
  10. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

11. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

"Our first look at Marvel's Avengers based on the trailer. Is it just a CG movie or is it running in real-time? And what platform might it be running on? Checkerboarding or native 4K? You have questions, we have answers..."

IMHO, the game looks quite gorgeous, even if the characters have a certain cosplay look to them.

#351 Shortbread, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. dobwal

Legend Veteran

The masses can be satisfied in different ways. Everybody doesn't have to be TMZ or Sunday Sport to cater to their markets and be profitable. And if the next Xbox and PlayStation end up with basically the same tech and performance, what low brow stuff are they going to use when most of the games look relatively the same?

"59 fps vs 60 fps: Why it really matters"
    "OMG the PS5 reserve 10MB more memory for its OS, SEE THE DIFFERENCE!!!"

egoless likes this.
  13. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Can it load Crysis?

milk, dobwal and Goodtwin like this.
  14. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I hav eno idea. The only thing we can be sure of is DF will put up articles, see which ones are popular, and focus on making those. If they can't be popular enough, they'll end as an operation.

15. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

I would say a solid 59 vs a solid 60 fps would be noticeable.
    58 vs 59 fps probably not.

They do more than just fps comparisons though, if that's all then vgtech would be more than enough.

I personally also enjoy their coverage, even when not doing console x vs y comparisons. Don't know how much in the minority I am though.
    Bet people would still want to know which console got some form of win though, even if it was it loaded in .5 sec quicker.

16. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

PC >> Anything else. Greatest hits=>
    typical excuses
    "Unlocked framerate is unacceptable"(unless the game is in my console)
    "Resolution is just a number"
    "Has only four filters"
    "The human eyes can only see 30 fps"

Silent_Buddha and dobwal like this.
  17. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

I didn't realize this was even a question. As soon as I loaded up the 4K version on YouTube it looked totally real-time and achievable, if not a bit rough.

18. Dictator

Newcomer

I actually even say that exact same thing in the video ^_^

19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Looking at it in lower resolutions or from small screens it can easily deceive. They nailed perfectly the CGish look in the lighting, destruction, camera angles and physics. The various artifacts and aliasing visible in higher resolutions is a give away of course.
    Something similar I had with FF7. The low res video of the trailer look like CG. Once I downloaded the high res video from gamersyde it was a different story.

Dictator likes this.
  20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Hey @Dictator, just had an idea for a cool and potentially quite long-running series of content. How about exploring the impact of software by comparing first-year and last-year titles on a platform? Look at what devs started with, and then look at how, with experience and new techniques, they were able to stretch the machines more. Maybe you could get some devs to talk about it too, explaining what they learned from their first title and how they improved things and came up with clever solutions?

You'd be able to look at all the consoles, and look at multiple titles for each, perhaps looking a genre like SNES racing games one article, then SNES platformers another; whatever gives good contrast and shows real improvements.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.