Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I got to the part where they're talking about hardware-accelerate ray-tracing and wondering how it'll support it considering navi does not support it. Except Navi refresh in 2020 will support hardware accelerated ray tracing, so there's no real mystery at all.

small_ray-tracing-amd.jpg

Last edited:
I got to the part where they're talking about hardware-accelerate ray-tracing and wondering how it'll support it considering navi does not support it. Except Navi refresh in 2020 will support hardware accelerated ray tracing, so there's no real mystery at all.
Remember this was recorded prior to the AMD event.

So why publish the video today when you know the information is not correct? Edit the video.

Gamer's Nexus put out a video yesterday that was correct.

Probably because it will be covered by the AMD video like they mention.

I have no idea what it takes to put together their videos, how many other meetings they have during E3 (I'm sure their invited to plenty), so I'm not in a position to answer you.

Just that it was mentioned in video, so personally I knew the situation.

"Is this the level of graphical fidelity we should expect from launch Xbox Project Scarlett titles? Alex checks out the Halo Infinite trailer from E3 2019, dissecting the technology and showcasing how the new Slipstream Engine stacks up against prior Halo tech."

Digital foundry has been grasping for Straws lately.
I'm disappointed in the decline of their content.

Some stuff is truly great, like for instance damn near anything attached to John is guaranteed
to be well done and Richard always takes a unique yet technical approach to speaking
about games. However, there's also the weaker parts of the team/staff dropping "analysis"
videos that don't cover much.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised they haven't jumped into Video Essays/Documentaries featuring
Devs more often. There's so little of it despite being a technical channel, they could go much
deeper into games, the technology that drives them and the individuals who help to pull
off amazing feats of software engineering.

Digital foundry has been grasping for Straws lately.
I'm disappointed in the decline of their content.

Some stuff is truly great, like for instance damn near anything attached to John is guaranteed
to be well done and Richard always takes a unique yet technical approach to speaking
about games. However, there's also the weaker parts of the team/staff dropping "analysis"

Honestly I'm kind of surprised they haven't jumped into Video Essays/Documentaries featuring
Devs more often. There's so little of it despite being a technical channel, they could go much
deeper into games, the technology that drives them and the individuals who help to pull

Can't expect everything they do to be amazing, but like a news source, they're going to want a constant trickle of content to keep people aware of their existence. Plus I'm enjoying the fact they do more feature analysis as opposed to general system/component comparisons that used to be so ubiquitous. The long form stuff like DF Retro is easily the best content though. Some good fun and nostalgia there.

His voice gives me seizures.
Sorry for that

Since this is about me I will reply - Youtube content production and being a Journalist in Video games means we need to be constantly producing. The news cycle is 24 hours every day since it is global and unrelenting. Do I prefer to work on some Videos more than others? Most definitely - I think is obvious if you compare a Trailer look Video like Halo Infinite vs. My quake 2 rtx Video. And guess what, no one watched my quake 2 rtx Video even though it had much more of me, much more Analysis with a big A, and much more Real information. Same with my dev Interviews - noone watches or reads them, they are barely even posted here.

Last edited:
Sorry for that

Since this is about me I will reply - Youtube content production and being a Journalist in Video games means we need to be constantly producing. The news cycle is 24 hours every day since it is global and unrelenting. Do I prefer to work on some Videos more than others? Most definitely - I think is obvious if you compare a Trailer look Video like Halo Infinite vs. My quake 2 rtx Video. And guess what, no one watched my quake 2 rtx Video even though it had much more of me, much more Analysis with a big A, and much more Real information. Same with my dev Interviews - noone watches or reads them, they are barely even posted here.

Stop complaining, your video has over 94K views. :p:love:

Seriously, it had more views than the click-baity video dealing with MS/Sony ending the console wars with their (perceived) cloud partnership. As for the developers interviews, I haven't received any notifications of such videos. And looking through the DF Youtube video archive, I didn't spot any interviews while glancing through. If there is a particular area that we should know about, I'll be happy to post on such things. Great work regardless...

Yeah, I don't know where the negativity came from, in my eyes Digital Foundry can't do wrong and Alex is a fantastic addition. Always looking forward to your vids :).

"Is this the level of graphical fidelity we should expect from launch Xbox Project Scarlett titles? Alex checks out the Halo Infinite trailer from E3 2019, dissecting the technology and showcasing how the new Slipstream Engine stacks up against prior Halo tech."
Graphical quality more specially? No, we should expect far more. But if the question is about the overall quality then maybe, if we're taking into account of 4k native and 60 fps for a cross gen title. I personally expect a pure native next gen Scarlett title to blow this away graphically at 4k 30fps without hamstrung by One S and X.

The timing of that video is unfortunate. They should of held back until after the AMD conference.
The drawback of income based on clicks for content is you need a constant stream of clicks. You can't hang around doing nothing waiting for things to happen. Try negotiating mortgage based on payments when new hardware or interesting game tech is revealed. :runaway:

Sorry for that

Oh snap! Now, does Rich post here too? (I know John does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back