Devil May Cry 4 Going Multi-platform! (Xbox 360/PS3/PC) *Confirmed

I feel more moved about the fact that another title goes multi-platform instead of focusing on maximizing efforts on a singular platform and getting the best ouf of. Then again, DMC was never anything cutting-edge in technologically. And after Capcom's "exclusivity" with Resident Evil, seeing them make DMC multi-platform doesn't surprise me in the slightest. In fact, I was wonderig what took them so long...

I feel more moved about the fact that another title goes multi-platform instead of focusing on maximizing efforts on a singular platform and getting the best ouf of.
Few devs managed that to any great effect. Perhaps going multiplatform is better, in that they can invest more effort on unified middleware? Rather than creating 4 different game engines for PS2, each only mediocre, they can create one cross-platform engine that's good on platforms and is the basis of 4 cross-platform titles. Maybe.

Not this time around. I suspect since they are using their framework to create it if you have a decent PC with at least a 7800 in it the game will look fine.

Hiiii Doctor Niiiick! :eek:

Not sure if your right but just wanted to say hello.

Hiiii Doctor Niiiick! :eek:

Not sure if your right but just wanted to say hello.

21111-hi-doctor-nick.jpg

Hi everybody!!
Back to the subject. What the guy from Sony said about GTA4 applies to and any other games to go multi this year. After this year is over who knows. Right now the PS3 can sustain a huge title like GTA4 on its own. I think everyone here expected things to be very different and with the console launching in Europe soon things will start looking up for Sony but if you want to release a "next gen" game is year your best bet is to go multi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few devs managed that to any great effect. Perhaps going multiplatform is better, in that they can invest more effort on unified middleware? Rather than creating 4 different game engines for PS2, each only mediocre, they can create one cross-platform engine that's good on platforms and is the basis of 4 cross-platform titles. Maybe.

Didnt Capcom already license UE3? ;) or was that basically what you were hinting at :oops:

The market is still sorting itself out and Capcom will be in a good position no matter who "wins" the war. In the end we will (the collective we in this case is communists and belly dancers) all win because more people will get to play great games.

Didnt Capcom already license UE3? ;) or was that basically what you were hinting at :oops:

From the capcom framework thread.
They evaluated UE3, and they see they appreciate the strengths of that engine. But they were worried about some of the performance limitations at the time, and the lack of support personnel in Japan. They have high hopes for UE3 in the future. But they decided this time to go at building their own tech.
This was of course before the release of Gears. Things should be much better for UE3 now then they were back then at least for the 360. The lack of or delayed support for Japan still seems to be an issue.

This is an absolute disaster. Why in hell did i even buy the damn thing!? What i'm i investing for? I never in my life liked muti-platform games because they were incomplete pieces of shit that developers/publishers could cash-in on. Sigh...why do you guys encourage this? So, what now? MGS4? Because once that's done there will be no reason for Ps3 to exist. So much potenical wasted...:devilish: :cry:

I mostly feel like this is the perfect time for "revenge" for those who wanted to see Sony fall. Thats why the encouragement by many (ofcourse not all have the same reasons).
The market is still sorting itself out and Capcom will be in a good position no matter who "wins" the war. In the end we will (the collective we in this case is communists and belly dancers) all win because more people will get to play great games.

Well I am not sure about "communists" like me. I fear that if this goes on, competition might actually become a thing of the past and just have one huge corporation rule everything just because they ve got the capital. It wont be this gen but it might be the next :p

Capcom’s "Devil May Cry 4" Goes Multiplatform! Mega-hit Title set for PLAYSTATION® 3, Xbox 360™ and PC!

Capcom Co., Ltd., a world-wide leader in the gaming industry, is proud to announce the development of "Devil May Cry 4" for the PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360â„¢ and PC platforms.

"Devil May Cry" is a series of popular, stylish action games, with a cast of unforgettable characters. Since the release of the original "Devil May Cry" in 2001, the series has shipped 6,800,000 copies as of December 31st, 2006, proudly making it one of Capcom's flagship titles. The series appeal is not limited to games; an animated TV series to be broadcast on Japan's WOWOW network is slated to air Spring 2007. The latest iteration, "Devil May Cry 4" will take advantage of each platform's hardware strengths to achieve the most stunning visuals in the series to date, and the introduction of a mysterious new protagonist will keep the action fast and fresh. Even before its release, "Devil May Cry 4" has been met with tremendous anticipation, as fans patiently endured long lines at TOKYO GAME SHOW 2006 for the chance to play the demo. "Devil May Cry 4" will be released simultaneously for the PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360â„¢ platforms.

Capcom was among the first software developers in the world to make games for the next-generation consoles, and those efforts have been met with great success. In addition, Capcom's use of an integrated development environment is one of the many methods being employed to improve efficiency and help take advantage of the cutting-edge functionality in next-generation systems.

Capcom will continue to produce titles that appeal to users while pursuing a multiplatform strategy to help enhance profits.
http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e070320.html

I'm pretty confident that the new engine will take advantage of the relative strengths of each machine. Especially if DR and LP are any indication.:oops:

Well I am not sure about "communists" like me. I fear that if this goes on, competition might actually become a thing of the past and just have one huge corporation rule everything just because they ve got the capital. It wont be this gen but it might be the next :p

Why, Nintendo is not evil. ;)

no actually rather than your fears coming true, I think it is a re-balancing of sorts. Last gen was just way out of balance. this is good for the industry and consumers as a whole. Having Wii in the mix makes it especially so.

How great the effect was, is very subjective and is difficult to quantify since there's no means to compare -> how would have game x faired if it had been multi-platform/targeted for one platform.

It's easy to see how a publisher can profit from making the game once and making portability for 2 or more consoles easy, opposed to targeting one and then porting - though I think it is clear that any team will deliver better results if resources are devoted to one single platform all else being equal. If the results are better, surely those [consumers] on that hardware in question are getting the better experience, without doubt?

How much better that experience is/will be - will always be in the eye of the beholder. Though I have no doubt that any fan would favour the effort making most of his/hers hardware they spent good money on. After all, we did buy consoles and not PCs. :???:

I mostly feel like this is the perfect time for "revenge" for those who wanted to see Sony fall. Thats why the encouragement by many (ofcourse not all have the same reasons).

not sure what you're getting at here but I can guess.

as for "revenge", that makes no sense to me. Maybe it makes no sense to me because Sony nor even its craziest of zealots never did anything except amuse me. :p

I'd say the word you were searching for (not sure if English is your first language) is "vindication". For years the Xbox brand was being spurned by software companies. This is a realization that the console that some invested in for its future entertainment value, is now being appreciated by those that control what is the most important aspect of any entertainment device.... its SOFTWARE.

This is an absolute disaster. Why in hell did i even buy the damn thing!? What i'm i investing for? I never in my life liked muti-platform games because they were incomplete pieces of shit that developers/publishers could cash-in on. Sigh...why do you guys encourage this? So, what now? MGS4? Because once that's done there will be no reason for Ps3 to exist. So much potenical wasted...:devilish: :cry:

Calm down bro, it's all about the 1st party titles now, just have to accept that the time of 3rd party exclusives is coming to an end.

Both Sony and MS realize this, so we're in for a treat as they break the bank developing 1st party titles.

I want to go further and say Dualdisaster that the way DMC4 was beign developed, it was likely never going to be an example of exclusive "fine tuning" anyway. From the day the Framework engine was announced, I've always thought that even if DMC4 wasn't made multiconsole immediately, it was still going to be built like that.

So the idea that your DMC4 experience will now be diminished due to its being ported I think is a little bit overexagerated.

In other words, games that push the hardware are usually exclusive, but just because a game is exclusive doesn't mean it pushes the hardware; DMC4 I have always felt falls into the later.

Why, Nintendo is not evil. ;)
:LOL:
no actually rather than your fears coming true, I think it is a re-balancing of sorts. Last gen was just way out of balance. this is good for the industry and consumers as a whole. Having Wii in the mix makes it especially so.
I dont count Wii in because they are taking a different approach, they arent direct competitiors and God only knows how Nintendo will fare the next generation when the "big" ones will try to implement their idea.

I see farther than this gen. I personally think that this "competition increase" we see now making us conclude that the industry is only improving is decieving.

Lets make a paralel comparison to a weigher and assume that last gen the right side was way heavier than the left one. (the unbalanced situation you described about last gen)

Now imagine a heavier object falling on the left side. While the heavy object brings the light side downward and the heavier upward we feel that there is stronger competition expecting better things to come because now we see the benefits of the present obesrvations. (The leveling of sides).

But we may forget the possibility that it may actually be much heavier thus what we experience now is a temporary situation, so in the future when the next gen comes, a similar unbalanced situation where the left side is much heavier than the right one will occur.

I cant ignore what power and cards each player has under its disposal as a corporation, and I perfectly see what kind of motives are hidden behind each one's play but thats a matter that should be discussed somewhere else

:LOL:

But we may forget the possibility that it may actually be much heavier thus what we experience now is a temporary situation, so in the future when the next gen comes, a similar unbalanced situation where the left side is much heavier than the right one will occur.

I cant ignore what power and cards each player has under its disposal as a corporwation, and I perfectly see what kind of motives are hidden behind each one's play but thats a matter that should be discussed somewhere else

I see your point but I guess i count on nature to balance things out in the long run. there is plenty of room for a couple (several?) players in this industry. And contrary to popular belief, MS has a fixed amount that they are willing to spend (lose) on the console side before giving up. It's not a never ending bucket.

Also all corporations have the same vision; to be profitable for its shareholders. as for the console/living room front, all (or at least Sony/MS) want the same things IMO.

It's just that so many exclusives...damn! Anyway, something has been on my mind lately and it's about blu-ray. Was is really worth Sony spending so much money and time incorporating that laser in their console? So much was at stake and it's starting to look like a lost cause. Are we ever going to see what blu-ray could do for games? Is there even a difference?

It's just that so many exclusives...damn! Anyway, something has been on my mind lately and it's about blu-ray. Was is really worth Sony spending so much money and time incorporating that laser in their console? So much was at stake and it's starting to look like a lost cause. Are we ever going to see what blu-ray could do for games? Is there even a difference?

I personally think it was worth it... but then again I'm enjoying many a Blu-ray film. ;)

Down the line it will show its worth in certain situations - and its relative cost vs DVD will also become negligible - but in terms of "any difference," what do you mean? The only (operative) difference has only ever been storage capacity. PS3 is well suited to the year 2008/2009 I feel, and we'll be there before you know it. Obviously in the short-term, BD has added a massive headwind to the early adoption of the console via production delays/costs. But it is what it is...

Back