Dev teams getting crushed under their own weight?

I totally feel for Deano. It's a terrible feeling to become disillusioned and burned out in a field that you absolutely loved in the beginning. I have experienced some of the same feelings in my field.

It's also somewhat telling that Deano's comments seem to echo some of the same messages that John Carmack was refering to about the industry in general and next gen consoles in particular.

MfA said:
Maybe like the movie business they need some unions so they can at least work some reasonable hours :p
I can assure you we work reasonable hours.. (unfortunately many other devs can't say the same thing..)

nismo123 said:
We'll see how good Deano's game turns out to be, it's no good complaining about other's games in this manner. It doesn't look professional. We'll Judge just how good HS turns out to be.
It doesn't seem to me that Dean is complaining about other' games.

Heh,

Some of that can be said for everyday jobs. When its good its good and when its bad you just want to walk away (vacation time). I think the people you work with plays an important part and although you can work with the best of people you still find yourself at wits end :)

Game Creation (especially if your one of the leads) becomes very personal. As we all know, not everyone can agree on everything. This is especially true with game creation and as we have seen when you combine movie creators, artists, and game creators there is often a clash of ideas and how they should look etc. (Just look at some of the movies that were created from games for example.) I believe this is where the original game idea should be kept in check (although still creative but on point), otherwise what was once a great game idea becomes chaos and spins out of control.

***There is no Luck...Only the Will and Desire to Succeed***

Just to clarify things about the 10 processor talk. There are 10 in what we have already:
1 PPE = 2 processors due to .... (I forget it's name, SMT?) + 7 SPEs + 1 RSX = 10 processors.

Kryton said:
Just to clarify things about the 10 processor talk. There are 10 in what we have already:
1 PPE = 2 processors due to .... (I forget it's name, SMT?) + 7 SPEs + 1 RSX = 10 processors.

I wouldn't call the PPE as 2 processors because it has SMT. Also I don't think you can dual issue two threads for execution in a given cycle. It's still a single, independent processor core.

You could also break RSX down (assuming G7x) into 14 processors, i.e. 8 MIMD VS processors and 6 SIMD PS quads.

1 PPE + 7 SPUs + 8 VS + 6 Quads = 22 processors!

EDIT:

Deano has replied in his blog that 10 was just a rant!

Last edited by a moderator:
jpr27 said:
***There is no Luck...Only the Will and Desire to Succeed***
That's not true. For every person who succeeds and tells others it's by perseverence, there are dozens of others who keep on trying and fail to get anywhere. Without a desire to succeed you won't try and won't win, but there are plenty of people who just got lucky with very little effort, while trying is no guarentee of success. You also need talent, and charisma counts for more than pretty much anything else, plus contacts are very useful (it ain't what you know, but who you know), all which count as luck as to whether you have them or not. I've a friend in software who wrote a simple Flash game a few years ago for fun and shared it with a few friends. He was contacted by an unknown company to use it on a high-scores-wins-prizes gaming site. He agreed expecting nothing really to come of it, and ended up making over a grand per month from it without having to do any work. That was nothing but luck.

I think you guys are wasting your time by anailizing what DeanoC ment by 10 processors.

I think he was talking generally, the number 10 just emphasizing many processors not an actual real number :p

edit(unless wishful thinking: the RSX is a dual core GPU) :mrgreen:

Back