Resistance: Fall of Man update! BIG READ , come inside!

They should have put this effect in the first level to capture people's imagination (since it doesn't affect gameplay anyway). ;)

I'm dying to know if this particle system is running on Cell. It certainly is a candidate for Cell based contributions to graphics in PS3 games. "If" the snow is handled by Cell in R:FOM I really want to see what it looks like in the sequel and for that matter other PS3 games. Particle systems like this snow is much more impressive to me than say the stuff in the Full Auto racing games.

---------

Anyhow R:FOM is killer. Insomniac am awesome.

Snow (gif made by teeda):

That's what I was talking about! (I completely forgot to get pic/vid of rain/snow lately)

The rain is equally amazing looking. Easily the most realistic rain/snow I've ever seen in a game.

Resistance is quite underrated in the graphics department... I still stand by my remark that there are parts in Resistance that are more impressive than anything in Gears (although on average I think Gears is more readily impressive).

Particle systems like this snow is much more impressive to me than say the stuff in the Full Auto racing games.
I don't find this particular snow (from the previously posted video) very indicative of the power of the system, though. It looks nice, but we did something fairly similar (but obviously not quite as nice) in the first quarter of 2002 on a bog standard PC.
We also had the snow accumulating in our textures (e.g. on roofs), but had to remove the feature for the release as it caused some other problems and hogged the bus too much... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if it started to settle if you stood around for 10 minutes or so doing nothing. I bet Insomniac never thought to include that (why would they of course, when as little as 1% of the people playing the game would even notice it)

It would be great if it started to settle if you stood around for 10 minutes or so doing nothing. I bet Insomniac never thought to include that (why would they of course, when as little as 1% of the people playing the game would even notice it)

I imagine they thought of it and quickly tossed the idea out because it would likely cost more cpu/gpu cycles than it's worth -- certainly would be neat to see though.

I imagine they thought of it and quickly tossed the idea out because it would likely cost more cpu/gpu cycles than it's worth -- certainly would be neat to see though.

They prolly had to dump the idea of snow accumulation because they would of ran out of space on the BD media. ;) So of course because of this we will never see accumulated snow on 360 becuase of their silly DVD-9 limitations!! haha

On a less silly note, I got to check this game out today. I had mixed expectations going in, and I have to say its by far the best title released for the PS3 yet. It's almost embarrasing at how much better it is then any other PS3 game.

While the game, and gameplay itself are rather standard and had the 'been here, done that before' feeling, I kept playing and playing.

Some of the textures are fantastic, and some of battles get rather hectic.

While this game has some great moments, after playing on a 360 for a year, and already playing titles like GOW, COD3 etc....this game lacked WOW moments.

Don't get me wrong I am going to keep playing, and this game is by far the best PS3 game released yet.

You'd need to store textures for every surface. It'd be impossible I'm sure.* You could do a screen-saver mode where the snow 'settles' as you stand still, but disappears when you move, by drawing the snow covering in 2D. That'd just be silly though!

*Well, another thought, you could have a variable for each surface that fades it to white. You'd need two lots of lighting textures though, and blend between too, or it'd look very wrong.

[maven];884591 said:
I don't find this particular snow (from the previously posted video) very indicative of the power of the system, though. It looks nice, but we did something fairly similar (but obviously not quite as nice) in the first quarter of 2002 on a bog standard PC.
We also had the snow accumulating in our textures (e.g. on roofs), but had to remove the future for the release as it caused some other problems and hogged the bus too much... ;)

I agree!

What I am interesting in knowing is whether I'm right and secondly further...this is a launch title...I certainly want to see what particle on Cell look like in a few years.

These sort of effects are what makes me rather sad at the efforts of game developers of the years.

Yes, it looks great, but we could have had this many years ago!

ever wonder why Resistance never drop a frame? well here is the answer from the article above

The most precious resource in the Cell, Hastings says, is the PPE. With dozens of actions unfolding onscreen, the goal is to maximize the call-and-response of the PPE and SPEs without losing any time. “When the [PPE] is sitting around,†Hastings says, “you pay a dear cost for that. Ultimately, the risk is that you don’t finish the frame loop and drop a frame within the game.†That’s a big no-no. The updates to the screen occur within a 30-hertz cycle. Miss an update and the game will noticeably stutter.

To avoid such a situation, the Insomniac programmers carefully schedule when the PPE should ask something of the SPEs and when it should expect a response. The PS3’s operating system can make such schedules, too, but not as well as the programmer can, according to Hastings. That’s because the programmers can determine, by experimentation, exactly how long a job should take. And if they manage to optimize that bit of code so that it runs faster, they can also tweak the PPE’s schedule to reflect the change and accelerate the game.

the article is well written and highly recommended.

Just want to say that I have not moved beyond the second check point in campaign mode. Went to check out MP and have stayed there ever since :)

Just want to say that I have not moved beyond the second check point in campaign mode. Went to check out MP and have stayed there ever since :)

Tell me about it. It's addicting as hell trying to get your rank up and find out what the medals are.
I've been playing mainly ranked servers but occationally I'll get into some unranked team deathmatch. Damn fun stuff. :D

Add Bad_Boy to your buddy list, maybe I'll see you around sometime.

Back