Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can't be plain stereo because the PSVR box needs audio in a format that allows it to produce the 3D positional audio for the headset. Uncompressed multichannel audio can consumes quite a lot of bandwidth.

I am certain the reason PS4 doesn't support 120hz 1080p is the same reason the original Xbox One doesn't: insufficient HDMI bandwidth. If a method could have been found to make it work, Microsoft would have supported it on the original hardware.

It is almost certainly a multi channel format, a vanilla Dolby 5.1 (AC3) stream for example is tiny tho, far less that Stereo PCM so it's contribution to bandwidth used is basically nil.

It might be 100mb for an hour of audio.

It can't be plain stereo because the PSVR box needs audio in a format that allows it to produce the 3D positional audio for the headset. Uncompressed multichannel audio can consumes quite a lot of bandwidth.

I am certain the reason PS4 doesn't support 120hz 1080p is the same reason the original Xbox One doesn't: insufficient HDMI bandwidth. If a method could have been found to make it work, Microsoft would have supported it on the original hardware.
Doesn't PSVR have a 1080p resolution and 120hz signaling over HDMI with 3d audio? How can it be a hardware limitation if it's achieving the thing you are claiming it's too limited to do.

Doesn't PSVR have a 1080p resolution and 120hz signaling over HDMI with 3d audio? How can it be a hardware limitation if it's achieving the thing you are claiming it's too limited to do.

960*1080 for each eye... The result is a bit different from 1920x1080. Not shure about 120 hz though...

You are wholly mistaken if you think Sony would act the same way as Microsoft. What's the reason the PS5 doesn't support VRR yet? Is it because of a hardware limitation?
I don't think Sony would act like Microsoft. Microsoft actively support 1080p 120hz on both Box One S and One X. Microsoft do not support on it on the original Xbox One. Even assuming Sony just chose not to do this so as to not make day one adopters feel disadvantaged, why wouldn't Microsoft support this on their original hardware if it wasn't a hardware limitation?

The video is stereoscopic as Metal_Spirit as said, the 3D positioning audio is produced by the PSVR breakout box - not by the PS4.

And for people thinking you can squeeze that bandwidth over one HDMI cable of that type, why does the PSVR hookup to the breakout box using two HDMI cables? :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
960*1080 for each eye... The result is a bit different from 1920x1080. Not shure about 120 hz though...
We had a whole thread about this a while ago where I believed that PS4 wasn't outputting 120hz at 1080p and got proven wrong with facts. Three things I learned from that were that it's 120hz, there are games that target 120fps, and PSVR uses a single 1920*1080 display that's split between both eyes. So the output from the system is 1080p at 120hz.

Doesn't it use 1 HDMI and 1 USB cable?
Nope. There are two HDMI ports on the front of the breakout box and the end of the cable of the PSVR headset has a wide double HDMI connector.

You can see it here at 2 mins in on Sony's PSVR setup guide.

Nope. There are two HDMI ports on the front of the breakout box and the end of the cable of the PSVR headset has a wide double HDMI connector.

lol i'm so confused by the setup. Man there are a lot of cables and significantly more adaptors than I thought would be present. Certainly a vote towards wireless headsets for sure, dang.

lol i'm so confused by the setup. Man there are a lot of cables and significantly more adaptors than I thought would be present. Certainly a vote towards wireless headsets for sure, dang.

Yup, the PSVR breakout box is connected to the PS4 by both a HDMI cable and a high-speed USB cable. In turn the breakout box is connected to the PSVR headset by two HDMI cables and to the TV by one HDMI cable. You also need a power supply for the breakout box (which also powers the PSVR headset) and you need a camera connected to the PS4.

Wireless is good but a battery adds weight.

It amazes me Sony hasn't released a patch yet. This looks damn good for being simulated.
They're probably too busy engineering extra cables into the design of PSVR2.

Because they're fucking idiots according to people here. :yep2:

Reactions: snc
Yup, the PSVR breakout box is connected to the PS4 by both a HDMI cable and a high-speed USB cable. In turn the breakout box is connected to the PSVR headset by two HDMI cables and to the TV by one HDMI cable. You also need a power supply for the breakout box (which also powers the PSVR headset) and you need a camera connected to the PS4.

Wireless is good but a battery adds weight.
yea to be fair, since I've long unloaded my Oculus, I forgot how many cables there were with VR.
HDMI + USB for the headset + 1 USB for each of those motion detector cameras, and you still needed cables for your HDMI to monitor etc.

it was all quite involved and the move towards wireless headsets make a lot of sense (though I left the scene), and I believe some wireless headsets have an optional 1 wire support for PC to pipe output to if you don't want to use the internal rendering SoC on the wireless headset.

57ee76ec11c8e70f0f8b4595

Right side HDMI. Left side ???

Probably handles power and motion tracking etc.

57ee76ec11c8e70f0f8b4595

Right side HDMI. Left side ???

Probably handles power and motion tracking etc.

Holy crap! I just looked at my PSVR and although it looks like two HDMI ports, it's not. It looks quite similar which is why for five years I thought it was two HDMI cables. Not that it really helps, it still means PS4 <-> breakout box <-> PSVR headset both requires two cables. So one HDMI cable is obviously not sufficient.

Holy crap! I just looked at my PSVR and although it looks like two HDMI ports, it's not. It looks quite similar which is why for five years I thought it was two HDMI cables. Not that it really helps, it still means PS4 <-> breakout box <-> PSVR headset both requires two cables. So one HDMI cable is obviously not sufficient.
The breakout box does object based 3D audio, social screen and some cinematic mode rendering. Some of those stuff are most probably why PSVR requires another cable.

https://www.roadtovr.com/sony-plays...h-for-ps4-psvr-playstation-4-virtual-reality/

It needs 2 cables because it's more than just a head mounted display with speakers. Honestly, I'm surprised Sony didn't use a single port with a custom cable because that's wort of their MO. But 2 ports, 1 custom in a single cable is what they went with.

We had a whole thread about this a while ago where I believed that PS4 wasn't outputting 120hz at 1080p and got proven wrong with facts. Three things I learned from that were that it's 120hz, there are games that target 120fps, and PSVR uses a single 1920*1080 display that's split between both eyes. So the output from the system is 1080p at 120hz.

https://blog.playstation.com/archive/2016/10/03/playstation-vr-the-ultimate-faq/

Yes... 120 Hz... One 1920x1080 panel split for both eyes meaning a maximum resolution of 960x1080 in stereoscope view.

Do you know what audio format PS4 outputs to the PSVR breakout box? That is important. Some folks tried capturing the PS4 HDMI signal (intercepting the signal between PS4 and the PSVR breakout box) and the signal is not a standard 120hz HDMI. Remember the PS4 is producing the reprojected wide-field stereoscopic video image (the PSVR box reverses this for output to the TV).

Yeah, audio bandwidth is something that can't be underestimated. For standard HDMI output, the PS4 supports uncompressed audio, IIRC. I can't remember if games for PS4 have to support uncompressed audio or not, but that would be a huge consumer of bandwidth relative to lossy compression formats. Anyone interested can look up a HDMI matrix for resolution, audio format, and bandwidth required to see how bandwidth required can jump massively depending on the audio format used.

Does PSVR also support uncompressed audio? I'd be a bit surprised considering the video data that it has to stream.

Regards,
SB

It amazes me Sony hasn't released a patch yet. This looks damn good for being simulated.
Looks like they didn't play the game half speed and just upscale the resolution, would have given nice image quality boost.
I cannot remember, but the game maybe has 1/4 speed option as well, would have been amazing for 120fps tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back