Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD calling say XSX/PS5 RDNA2, it can still be RDNA2 even if some features are altered or missing. Say a GPU doesnt have VRS, the architecture could still be RDNA2. I can imagine the 6800XT for example being the most feature filled RDNA2 product, whilest consoles sit abit lower (but still RDNA2 based).

performence test by NXGamer edit: Nxgamer suggesting that ps5 performance advantage during gameplay is due superior io as xsx drops are usually while data stream edit2 stutter due cpu limitation of single thread

Last edited:
Control: Ultimate edition has officially arrived on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles. So tech-analysis expert NXGamer breaks down exactly what to expect when jumping into the game on any of the new consoles.

Congratulations to NXG!

So he does confirm PS5’s smaller game install size is due to Oodle compression. Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
performence test by NXGamer edit: Nxgamer suggesting that ps5 performance advantage during gameplay is due superior io as xsx drops are usually while data stream edit2 stutter due cpu limitation of single thread

Good video.

I also think the stuttering on XSX / XSS is CPU side, but I'm not convinced it's down to IO overheads. Or if it is, it's because of how the engine is managing the data and the game state, rather than it being due to the system itself. The PC doesn't suffer from this issue on the same kind of CPU, even without all the velocity architecture stuff. PC has no hardware decompression, no Direct Storage, and a higher overhead version of DX12, and it's not seeing these deep stutters - so clearly it's not something you need to have PS5 to avoid (regardless of how good its SSD and IO block is!).

With the XSX running into issues that even the PC isn't (and the PC can run to well over 100 fps on Control, with ray tracing enabled), there's something far more specific going on here than just "it's a CPU heavy game". Given the time I'm sure Remedy could eliminate these hitches and get the game running at least as stably as on the PC.

It could even just be a case of something like the Xbox / PC version simply not being used to having so much data coming in, so fast, and the game doesn't pace itself with certain activities and so for a few frames it's overwhelmed.

So he does confirm PS5’s smaller game install size is due to Oodle compression. Nice!

I think that's more of an educated guess than a statement. But there would be something else going on as well, as the delta between the two versions is still looking too big.

Last edited:
It also seems RT reflections is performing slightly different on PS5 when compared to XBSX. PS5 RT has slightly less image latency during reconstruction or fast movements @3:40, and there are certain extra details not found on XBSX (such as dual reflections @4:10 found on PS5). A lot of this could be bug related or possibly the PS5 having a slight edge in RT reflection quality.

I think that's more of an educated guess than a statement. But there would be something else going on as well, as the delta between the two versions is still looking too big.

If it is due to Oodle compression, then PS5 giving up a few secs of load speed for tighter compression would be a great tradeoff for PS5's limited storage size.

Last edited:
It also seems RT reflections is performing slightly different on PS5 when compared to XBSX. PS5 RT has slightly less image latency during reconstruction or fast movements @3:40, and there are certain extra details not found on XBSX (such as dual reflections @4:10 found on PS5). A lot of this could be bug related or possibly the PS5 having a slight edge in RT reflection quality.

Yeah, that dual reflections thing was cool, and the same position seemed to handled movement better. Perhaps they've continued to refine their RT implementation a little and used that for their first Playstation RT title, while it was most cost effective to use the existing PC DXR implementation for Xbox. This is a free patch for an 2019 game after all. XSX seems to just be doing what the PC did (but with a reduced sample count).

I think Control released before DXR 1.1, which offers more control and potential for improved performance. I think Remedy's already cool use of RT will only improve for their next full release. Hopefully another Alan Wake - Alan and Barry in shadowy reflection land!

I jumped into photo mode earlier this evening and zoomed right into Jesse's eyes with a really short focal length. And I could see the reflections of the objects in front of her with the correct distortion applied. That was pretty amazing!

Has anyone suggested that maybe the Series X|S optimized package includes two discreet texture packs? Both a hi-res one for the X (with the PS5 would also have) and “last gen” one for the S?

Has anyone suggested that maybe the Series X|S optimized package includes two discreet texture packs? Both a hi-res one for the X (with the PS5 would also have) and “last gen” one for the S?
that should have been handled normally by their smart delivery, but I believe, that yea, because they tried to get around smart delivery, they opted to include both sets of assets onto a single binary. It's certainly plausible.

Good video.

I also think the stuttering on XSX / XSS is CPU side, but I'm not convinced it's down to IO overheads. Or if it is, it's because of how the engine is managing the data and the game state, rather than it being due to the system itself. The PC doesn't suffer from this issue on the same kind of CPU, even without all the velocity architecture stuff. PC has no hardware decompression, no Direct Storage, and a higher overhead version of DX12, and it's not seeing these deep stutters - so clearly it's not something you need to have PS5 to avoid (regardless of how good its SSD and IO block is!).

With the XSX running into issues that even the PC isn't (and the PC can run to well over 100 fps on Control, with ray tracing enabled), there's something far more specific going on here than just "it's a CPU heavy game". Given the time I'm sure Remedy could eliminate these hitches and get the game running at least as stably as on the PC.

It could even just be a case of something like the Xbox / PC version simply not being used to having so much data coming in, so fast, and the game doesn't pace itself with certain activities and so for a few frames it's overwhelmed.

The whole thing screams lazy port to me. Basically just lift and drop the PC version onto Xbox. And actually work on the PS5 version. The double reflection bit was the tip off there, as the developers need to decide which surfaces will reflect and how much they will reflect. The fact that he found both PC and Xbox don't reflect there tells me they are using the same configurations on assets, while people actually went through the entire PS5 version and did it right.

Now I'm wondering if you can go on the PC version and find the reflection bug of that poster not showing up.

Seems to be I/O though to me. But perhaps the issue is more convoluted. It certainly doesn't feel optimized well for Xbox given how consistent PS5 is in Control and how Xbox seems to have random bugs, glitches and hitches. But that' the way the cookie crumbles I guess, pros and cons of sharing PC with Xbox.

that should have been handled normally by their smart delivery, but I believe, that yea, because they tried to get around smart delivery, they opted to include both sets of assets onto a single binary. It's certainly plausible.
Does SD go as granular as “Series S only” or “Series X only”, or does smart delivery only ensure that the S|X package is delivered and not an XBO XBX package?

Actually XSX and PC have double reflections they’re aligned together as show below. The glass is only a inch away from the metal surface behind. The ps5 actually has the reflection aligned further apart. I would take pc the way it’s suppose to be since it’s superior in RT

Look at face
Etv7SkuXAAYerbf

Look at right hand/arm
Etv7OYTWgAURsok

Etv7ft5XcAEOa-Z

Etv7pi6WQAA2yYo

While plausible, I would think the XBSX/S would still use the same high quality texture package, but XBSS would use lower quality settings for rendering/streaming those textures. No different than the PC edition with various hardware's to support.

Actually XSX and PC have double reflections they’re aligned together as show below. The glass is only a inch away from the metal surface behind. The ps5 actually has the reflection aligned further apart. I would take pc the way it’s suppose to be since it’s superior in RT

Look at face
Etv7SkuXAAYerbf

Look at right hand/arm
Etv7OYTWgAURsok

Etv7ft5XcAEOa-Z

Etv7pi6WQAA2yYo

Shots are so blurry I can't tell.

These are quite clear. (not my images)
aleQFjD.jpg

dijjl64.jpg

TAFKhfu.jpg

Last edited: