Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Shortbread, Nov 21, 2020.

1. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Yes.

That was clearly stated in the post with the words "- The game runs in backward compatibility mode. "

2. techuse

Regular Newcomer

VGTech covers Division 2. PS5 typical resolution much lower.

PS5 - 2400x1350 - 1920x1080 typical range
    XSX - 3840x2160 - 3200x1800 typical range

PSman1700 and pjbliverpool like this.
  3. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

It seems XBSX has a higher resolution and SSR and PS5 is locked at 60FPS. In my opinion, both are terrible patched backwards compatibility games.

#463 Shortbread, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    mr magoo, Tkumpathenurpahl and BRiT like this.
  4. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

SSR is present on PS4 pro, i'll wait for a patch before even trying it on ps5

5. goonergaz

Veteran

Not just the loading, it’s a poor BC title, why is the resolution capped at pro level? Etc

As stated, this is just running in BC mode - ie nothing was done

6. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

Well the gpu is at least not downclocked to ps4 pro level. And it seems the max resolution is normally not reached, so uncapping res just does not make sense.
    The other thing I still assume is, that the bc mode is still limited to ps4 pros amount of memory. This would also explain why the res is not really higher than on the pro.

PSman1700 and BRiT like this.
  7. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

When it's running via BC the CPU and GPU can be downclocked compared to PS5 clocks. We have already seen this with AC Unity where the GPU (but not the CPU) was most likely running at Pro clocks. They can do that if they (Sony) think it's the only way to make it run correctly.

#467 Globalisateur, Feb 6, 2021
  8. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

It is still running at 60 so no ps4 pro clocks there. The gpu has at least twice the work here because of 30 vs 60 fps. If the gpu would use pro clocks, it just couldn't run at 60.

#468 Allandor, Feb 6, 2021
    PSman1700 likes this.
  9. turkey

Veteran Newcomer

Who knows what logic the game has to execute whilst loading, possible single thread stuff that's not ideal but originally with the slow HDD this was never going to be an issue. Thus the slow load is not an IO delay but a CPU one. As all the systems basically have the same CPU it would explain the times more than IO.

Microsoft advertise Control ultimate edition as Series optimised. Would BC games have access to the raytracing hardware given its in emulated GCN?

Have I some how got confused on the game in question?

PSman1700 likes this.
  10. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby

But at a much lower resolution and the game could run at 60fps on Pro if the game had a Zen 2 CPU (like XSS running at 60fps in most next gen games with a 4tf GPU). AC Unity is also usually running at 60fps on PS5, because the game is mostly CPU limited. Also from the github data we know the GPU clocks in BC mode can actually have specific values between the min and max.

RagnarokFF and snc like this.
  11. goonergaz

Veteran

Yes, I was talking about Division 2

turkey likes this.
  12. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

???
    Why do you think the ps4 pro could run the game at 60 with up to 4k res? That is just not possible with those settings. 60 fps means double calculation performance needed for cpu and gpu. Ps5 has around 2.x times the power of ps4 pro. So there is not really much that can be done for the res. I really don't know what wonders you expect from the hardware. The ps4 pro could do 60fps with a zen2 cpu if the res would be lowered, yes but not at the dynamic res it uses now.

Also, the patch was made for the ps5 so they will just use as much as possible.

PSman1700 likes this.
  13. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby

I said at a much lower res in my post.

14. goonergaz

Veteran

Has the stuttering in Control been fixed?

15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

BC games can only at most access the full hardware and make some changes to the settings.
    At the base of it, BC titles all still run the traditional GCN 2.0 ish ISA. So it will get access to all the CUs and get access to 8 cores and 16 threads if I recall correctly when using Gen9Aware patches but it won't be using optimal instructions. Hmm, it's possible it may get access to those without Gen9Aware actually, just without it no option to change the settings.

No access to FL12_1+ feature sets if I remember right, so no ray tracing support on BC titles.

PSman1700 likes this.
  16. Allandor

Regular Newcomer

Well I tried control yesterday on my pc and the stuttering also occurs there. E.g. before something happens like first time appearing enemies in a room. I'm using the windows store version on my ssd. So it might be something packaging related.
    Like I stated before, the playstation version has always the advantage that the game code must be partially rewritten for the api. So some bugs might even disappear because of this extra step. And some might just appear because of bugs in DirectX.

17. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Legend Veteran

I haven't witnessed any stuttering on the PC edition. But then again, Control is sitting on my NVMe raid.

18. snc

snc
    Regular Newcomer

19. cwjs

Newcomer

20. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Is it? IS IT!?!?!

RagnarokFF, PSman1700, milk and 5 others like this.