Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

when thinking about costs, i would assume most players play game outside work /school and thus outside the business day. That may well be using capacity that has suddenly become available and would otherwise be wasted.

when thinking about costs, i would assume most players play game outside work /school and thus outside the business day. That may well be using capacity that has suddenly become available and would otherwise be wasted.
As a server farm manager, time of day means nothing at all. As many people will want time off peak as on peak, indeed looking at our logs for last month, off-peak (6pm thru 8am) shows slightly more utilisation pro-rata.

Don't have you blocked. The only disagreement I have is that there are financial reasons to want to limit the amount of "free" resources they're giving out for games. It costs Microsoft a fortune to build these data centers and they need to make as much of it available for revenue as possible. They can probably one give away so much for internal projects like Crackdown. The floodgates are not open on free Azure resources, and they probably won't be. This game is probably considered a marketing strategy for cloud powered gaming. Show that it works so that others will pay for the resources to use it in their games.

I'm certainly not trying to make the point that there is no cost to MS for using Azure, only that the limited amount of 3rd parties (which right now stands at zero as far as I can see), wouldn't result in a significant enough cost to MS to out weigh the benefits they would receive by showing how powerful the integration could be. As a result, those resources are available (currently) for free. Because.. well, that's actually what they've said! In the future, at the end of this lifecycle or for the next generation, is MS going to want to monetize that? Of course they will.

But currently? Nope, it's free baby! But the uptake is limited because the console is no longer required to be on-line, so developers don't know if everybody will have access to use those resources. And, of course, there is the fact that major developers are realizing the same thing. Do they really want to build game series using Azure knowing it's likely that at some point in the future MS will start charging them for Azure?

Also I don't know if this is or the cloud thread is the place to ask, but if someone blow up a building and that using 20x the physics computation... of course on a MP game we are going to have several simultaneous people blowing up stuff, thus a lot of cloud power need to be harnessed? what about the bandwidth? Again, I haven't read all the details, but you need 2mbps for I assume the worst situation? as in several people blowing up building at the same time?
I think it would be fun to stress test Crackdown 3 cloud power.

I'm not sure which one of those was the question that you wanted answered? It seems like most of what you want to know is answered in the link to the article I provided. There's some questions as to whether or not that source is legit enough to be believed, but if they are, they've answered your questions.

It's pretty interesting how the map is split into segments with different servers responsible for the calculations and if a building blows up in sector 2 that falls into sector 4, both servers are activated and work together to manage the load. That's pretty impressive stuff. And when I say pretty impressive, I mean this is actually revolutionary stuff if it actually works the way they are telling us that it does.

This is the kind of capability that could make a game like Day-Z the game changer that everybody hoped it would be. And right now? Sony doesn't have a huge server farm sitting there available for use like Azure. If they can get this working right, it would mean Sony would have to keep putting more money and investments in their hardware to sell Playstations while MS can just toss out basic "dumb" terminals and utilize Azure.

IGN has a nice 17-minute behind closed door gameplay demo. It's off screen footage, but the guy from IGN gets to take control of the Agent for some multiplayer building destruction. He does it at about 12 minutes into the video...

Tommy McClain

Red Faction Guerilla 2.0 ! Looks cool, lets see what fun modes come out of it ! With the kindof internet we have, its nothing but an unattainable pipe dream if it involves the net !

Considering how long it's been in development now, I'm just going to be amazed when/if it actually releases. :p I just hope the game and gameplay are good. For what was meant to be a showcase of cloud computing as it relates to gaming, the long development time certainly doesn't put that into a good light.

Regards,
SB

Red Faction Guerilla 2.0 ! Looks cool, lets see what fun modes come out of it ! With the kindof internet we have, its nothing but an unattainable pipe dream if it involves the net !
Not necessarily. If the technology is optimized for average Internet connections it should still work. But I'm not a fan of such technologies because i don't like the always online aspect in consoles. MS, Sony,nintendo should just make sure the hardware is powerful enough to run the games they want. The Best example of Always online Backlash this gen was the latest Need for speed.

Has the destruction been removed from the game? Cos I didnt see any in the footage in the livestream which felt very weird considering the last showing was all about destruction.
Is the whole cloud power fad over for MS now?

Has the destruction been removed from the game? Cos I didnt see any in the footage in the livestream which felt very weird considering the last showing was all about destruction.

Apparently, the destruction is for the multi and not the solo player (E3 2017 footage).

I have low hopes given what they've showed. Agents of Mayhem gave me a better impression of what I wanted to see evolve for a Crackdown game.

Yes. The whole 'power of 4 xbox ones for every machine using the cloud' was only ever a marketing smoke-screen. Back in the day, we (those who spelled out the reality) said it'd never happen. Well years later, the poster child, Crackdown 3, finally isn't going that route of online processing power for every player. Instead destruction is only for multiplayer - that is, it's just a networked game running on the cloud with servers driving the gameplay. There's no magical distributed computing platform sharing processing power around boxes.

Yes. The whole 'power of 4 xbox ones for every machine using the cloud' was only ever a marketing smoke-screen. Back in the day, we (those who spelled out the reality) said it'd never happen. Well years later, the poster child, Crackdown 3, finally isn't going that route of online processing power for every player. Instead destruction is only for multiplayer - that is, it's just a networked game running on the cloud with servers driving the gameplay. There's no magical distributed computing platform sharing processing power around boxes.
But it was always about cloud only on multiplayer. If you thought otherwise that's on you.

Btw the Geoff Keighley had the following interview. This E3 is all about campaign since they never talked about it before.

Tommy McClain

Back