Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

So they have this amazing destruction system that allows you to go from chipping small chuncks of concrete walls to levelling entire buildings, but after years with this game in the shadows they reapear with this completely generic trailer and decide to not show any destruction (which would be the only thing that could set this game apart) just because they wanted to focus on single player?
This just doesn't sound sane to me. Color me ubisoft-level-skeptical.

Last edited:
But it was always about cloud only on multiplayer.
MS cloud compute definitely wasn't. It was announced as enhancing all games for all consoles. Then it went quiet and the only talk about cloud processing was Crackdown 3. I don't think they even qualified 'only for multiplayer' back on their previous showings either even if it was implied, with the expectation being you could play single player with that level of destruction powered by the cloud. And if multiplayer-only, that isn't 'cloud computing' as peddled.

Clearly what's being done in multiplayer could be done for a single player, but I guess the economics is what's stopping it. How costly is it to have and run those servers for each instance of the game? Doing that for 20 players on the same map reduces costs to 5% compared to all those players playing solo. It's also not a platform differentiator as it was sold in the early days with claims every XB1 would be augmented by the the cloud.

MS cloud compute definitely wasn't. It was announced as enhancing all games for all consoles. Then it went quiet and the only talk about cloud processing was Crackdown 3. I don't think they even qualified 'only for multiplayer' back on their previous showings either even if it was implied, with the expectation being you could play single player with that level of destruction powered by the cloud. And if multiplayer-only, that isn't 'cloud computing' as peddled.

Clearly what's being done in multiplayer could be done for a single player, but I guess the economics is what's stopping it. How costly is it to have and run those servers for each instance of the game? Doing that for 20 players on the same map reduces costs to 5% compared to all those players playing solo. It's also not a platform differentiator as it was sold in the early days with claims every XB1 would be augmented by the the cloud.
Microsoft's cloud strategy was announced in 2013 with the Xbox One. Crackdown wasn't shown or announced then. They hinted at the series with the agility orb icon on stage but that was it. Crackdown 3 wasn't shown off until Gamescom 2015 where the cloud idea is used solely for multiplayer...

https://www.polygon.com/2015/8/11/9132195/crackdown-3-multiplayer-cloud-xbox-one-gamescom-2015

Tommy McClain

I'm not disputing that. The original query was about the 'power of the cloud fad'. That was basically over in 2014. Cloud Computing now just means game servers spun up dynamically, and Crackdown 3's 'power of the cloud' (if it's being marketed as such) is not the same thing as MS were talking about in 2013.

Well years later, the poster child, Crackdown 3, finally isn't going that route of online processing power for every player. Instead destruction is only for multiplayer

This is the part I was talking about. The "finally" part to me read to me you thought cloud destruction was part of single player from the beginning. It wasn't. Just thought bringing up the cloud compute initiative from 2013 didn't have any relevance here when they showed in 2015 that it was only for multiplayer. You're just 2 years too slow. ;)

Tommy McClain

What happened to the destruction generated by the cloud?
I cant say I was impressed by the trailer and gameplay and animations look linda basic

That cloud destruction is part of MultiPlayer and appearantly not SinglePlayer.

Have they demonstrated it at E3 2017 in any form?
Are we sure they implemented it after all?
They haven't demonstrated on the showfloor, but did say it was still coming & will be in the final product on November 7.

From my experience of going to E3 I suspect they are showing it behind closed doors under NDA. I also suspect we will have many more opportunities to see it in action closer to ship.

Tommy McClain

I've been reverse-hyped for this game but that radbrad footage actually looks decent. Funny how attaching the X1X name makes everything look better.

Run around and blow stuff up still isn't my kind of game. Neither is the artstyle although it comes off better here.

I dont think we have seen this before.
Game looks uninspiring, repetitive and boring.
I am not sure whats at fault here. Is it the animation looking so outdated?
Is it because you run around and shoot at things like every other game out there?
Is it the art direction?
Combination of all these?
This game will probably come and go as if it never happened. Looks so basic. Almost like an indie game experiment

Game looks uninspiring, repetitive and boring.
I am not sure whats at fault here.
My ill-considered theory is that it took too long to appear and everyone else has implemented most of the features such that it's got nothing new to show (save the online megadestruct). Presentation is Borderlands, and quite low poly. That contrasts poorly with similar games like Infamous Second Son that provide a well abused photomode to show off the truly next-gen graphics*. Gameplay is every high-energy shooter since, including XB1's earlier Sunset Overdrive. So yeah, yet another shooter, without any clear purpose perhaps?

This game will probably come and go as if it never happened.
That's happened to many a title that's got good early coverage. However, I don't know what the selling point for Crackdown was and whether the existing fans find this game just as appealing or not. There might be something special to the formula.

* lighting unlike anything on PS360 gen.

Presentation is Borderlands, and quite low poly. That contrasts poorly with similar games like Infamous Second Son that provide a well abused photomode to show off the truly next-gen graphics*.

It's Crackdown 3, the original Crackdown predates Borderlands by two years. If anything, the cartoony graphics was copied by Borderlands and Infamous.

The cartoon look makes perfect sense if it's anything like the original Crackdown, because you'll be playing a frickin' comicbook. The characters, the story ... everything in the original was over the top. That was the attraction, and that is why it wasn't just another sandbox shooter.

Day one purchase for me.

Cheers

Last edited:
It's Crackdown 3, the original Crackdown predates Borderlands by two years. If anything, the cartoony graphics was copied by Borderlands and Infamous.
By referencing Borderlands, I mean it's no longer new and exciting. Far more people are familiar with Borderlands as a style than Crackdown, and cartoon is hardly unique to any game. Contrast that with games that are pushing the graphics envelope like Infamous:SS or Quantum Break or Star Wars Battlefronts, that are leaps and bounds above last-gen, and it's unsurprising if the look of Crackdown 3 doesn't have zing for a lot of gamers.

The characters, the story ... everything in the original was over the top. That was the attraction, and that is why it wasn't just another sandbox shooter.

Day one purchase for me.
I think that might be run of it. Taking Nesh as an example, as a non-Crackdown fan he doesn't see the appeal. To the average Joe, 'just another shooter with so-so presentation'. I genuinely don't know - just putting forwards an idea! But to the Crackdown fans eager for another taste in next-gen betterness, they'll happily buy into it. Suggesting a million plus to me going by Crackdown sales made up on VGChartz.

The only interesting thing about re-"marketing" cloud is that suddenly everyone thinks no 60fps unless you have Ryzen. Not sure why this is the new mode of thinking. A couple of dev comments about not enough CPU and all of a sudden the only reason we are stuck at 30fps gaming is because of that CPU.

I mean to hell with the idea that these consoles are GPU limited but okay. Lol.

The move to pushing games to server side processing could enable the mid gen refreshes to run the game at higher FPS than their counterparts (since physics etc, are all bound to server).

there's an opportunity here somewhere for crackdown and other online MP games to change the mindsets.

I've never personally played crackdown so I don't know what to expect. I'll be waiting for reviews before buying in, frankly there are just too many games for a father of 2+1 to be playing.

But so far, it looks interesting. As a big fan of sunset overdrive. This already is very appealing to me.

It's a little less focused on traversal, but more on shooting and action.

It's pretty cool. Hopefully the 1X version looks dope

Last edited:
The shooting/gameplay mechanics/controls seem great, but... it's not going to tide me over for more than 5 minutes if there's nothing more to the game. They're gonna need a good variety of side missions apart from "go to Gang X location".

Sounds like they got the narrator back, which is a big plus - he's kinda the soul of crackdown.

Wonder if they'll have another ridiculously tall tower again.

The shooting/gameplay mechanics/controls seem great, but... it's not going to tide me over for more than 5 minutes if there's nothing more to the game. They're gonna need a good variety of side missions apart from "go to Gang X location".

Sounds like they got the narrator back, which is a big plus - he's kinda the soul of crackdown.

Wonder if they'll have another ridiculously tall tower again.

the first crackdown was just go to gang x location and people loved it. That was the whole game

Back