Crackdown 3 [XO, XPA]

It's now 10 years later. Either do something more or just do a Crackdown 10th Anniversary Edition-that-costs-less-money.

Unfortunate considering how bungled the development has been - Cloud power pitch, small dev studios (Reagent/Cloudgine), Unreal Engine 4 open world (come ooooon), 2 years for Sumo Digital to pick up the pieces.

Last edited:
It's now 10 years later. Either do something more or just do a Crackdown 10th Anniversary Edition-that-costs-less-money.

Unfortunate considering how bungled the development has been - Cloud power pitch, small dev studios (Reagent/Cloudgine), Unreal Engine 4 open world (come ooooon), 2 years for Sumo Digital to pick up the pieces.
This has been the bane of XB exclusives for the most part. The criticism isn't that they're bad, they just aren't evolving as much as the rest of the industry is moving forth. Not as many elements or formula changes as they had chances to do.

Games that can't evolve are going to have a tough time getting the critical acclaim those companies are looking for.

This to me literally looks like a last gen game packed with some half way decent particles and where were all the destruction? They probably spent fuck budget on it. Why did we get this turd looking of a game instead of Alan Wake 2? Sorry for the negativity but sigh, talk about the wrong investment MS.

This to me literally looks like a last gen game packed with some half way decent particles and where were all the destruction? They probably spent fuck budget on it. Why did we get this turd looking of a game instead of Alan Wake 2? Sorry for the negativity but sigh, talk about the wrong investment MS.
I've not watched the vid, but I'm assuming its the campaign, only mp has cloud based physics/destruction.

Single player for the first game (although it did have co-op).

GTA but with super powers was kinda novel at the time. Story was run-of-the-mill. The agency tower inspired the Infamous tower too IIRC.

Last edited:
the first crackdown was just go to gang x location and people loved it. That was the whole game
I always thought it was nothing special back then either. The original game probably benefited from the fact that it was launched in 2007.
The second didnt get any remarkable reviews and was criticized for being almost exactly the same as the original

Orb hunting is also one of it's cornerstones. There were 500 Agilty Orbs & 300 Secret Orbs in the original. I found all of them but it was tough. One of the first achievements I was most proud of. Also don't forget about the vehicles that power-ups & transform as your character does. Can't wait to play this in co-op.

Tommy McClain

It was a fun game back then. Never "looked" special but was ton of fun to play. This video carries the similar vibe but yes one has to say it seems like remaster of sorts rather a next gen crackdown.

Well, there is precedent for lower cost XBO exclusives. Ori and the Blind Forest and Recore come to mind. So it's possible that we could see Crackdown 3 launch at 40 USD.

Outside of the mass destruction that multiplayer is supposed to have, however, I can't say I'm terribly excited by the title. Then again I didn't play the first one either. And I'm not big into open world games. Sooooo. I'm obviously not the target audience. :)

Regards,
SB

Well, there is precedent for lower cost XBO exclusives. Ori and the Blind Forest and Recore come to mind. So it's possible that we could see Crackdown 3 launch at 40 USD.

Outside of the mass destruction that multiplayer is supposed to have, however, I can't say I'm terribly excited by the title. Then again I didn't play the first one either. And I'm not big into open world games. Sooooo. I'm obviously not the target audience. :)

Regards,
SB
SoT as well. It's almost as if MS is purposefully experimenting with low budgets first, see what the traction is like before investing large. I don't mind the approach. Ori was a win in my mind. Recore is still on my list. SoT and Crackdown could do well at a lower price point as well

I always thought it was nothing special back then either. The original game probably benefited from the fact that it was launched in 2007.
The second didnt get any remarkable reviews and was criticized for being almost exactly the same as the original

Yes, it's a strange franchise. I know somebody who loved the first, yet somehow never got around to getting the second one, but is still amazingly stoked for the third.

I don't remember most people being excited for the first. It was attached to the halo 3 beta which helped sales but surprised many because it ended being an entertaining game. It wasnt a visual headturner due to cell shaded graphics but using your powers (super jumps) to find orbs which led to becoming more powerful (stats building) to get to more out of the way orbs was addicting and fun.

I am not sure if I played crackdown 2. The fact that one of the biggest complaints of 2 was that it was almost indistinguishable from cd1 doesn't help my memory. LOL.

The game looks like it lends itself well to HDR, but I'm not all that excited by the title. If it reviews well and maintains the orb finding mechanics thats still entertaining, I will give it a go.

And that's fine. But there are loads of games i thought weren't anything special and we are on installment 6 or 8 or more at this point. The fact is that many people enjoyed Crackdown 1 and 2 and they deserve a chance to enjoy a part 3. Perhaps some people want something diffrent or for it to be more like another game or modern open world games. But if you want that just go buy that

In theory this should be the type of exclusive first parties should be investing in. More and more everything is online, open world "create your own fun", or both. What's going away in theory is single player, linear, narrative titles (dont tell Uncharted I guess).

So maybe it will do better than I expect.

And that's fine. But there are loads of games i thought weren't anything special and we are on installment 6 or 8 or more at this point. The fact is that many people enjoyed Crackdown 1 and 2 and they deserve a chance to enjoy a part 3. Perhaps some people want something diffrent or for it to be more like another game or modern open world games. But if you want that just go buy that
Well nobody said crackdown is the only mediocre game with sequels. ;)
There will always be people that will enjoy a game even if its mediocre so that doesnt say much
Other games that gave birth to sequels at least followed the times. This feels outdated
And to be honest Crackdown's reception has been going down than up and certainly, unless you were a fan of the series, it is not a title that makes people go crazy to buy an XBOX.
It feels like a title that will come and go as fast as it appeared.
So far thats what it tells me.
Who knows it may surprise me at the end

Back