'Certain “highly anticipatedâ€￾ Xbox 360 title filling four discs worth of space'

scooby_dooby said:
I would rather have one disc as well, but if it means paying $10 for it? Screw that, I'm not THAT lazy, I AM that cheap though :p
well its not just about being lazy for me. i still get angry at myself for loosing the cd1 of metal gear solid for the ps1, now i cannot play it anymore. :( more disks to keep up with isnt too fun when you already have so many.

scooby_dooby said:
btw:
king-king XBOX = 1.4GB
King Kong PC - 1.8GB on disc
360 > PC port = 5GB on disc
thats good and all but im sure not all games are the same size. ;)

Bad_Boy said:
well its not just about being lazy for me. i still get angry at myself for loosing the cd1 of metal gear solid for the ps1, now i cannot play it anymore. :( more disks to keep up with isnt too fun when you already have so many.

thats good and all but im sure not all games are the same size. ;)

I've never 'lost' a game disc in my life, unless it's a game I haven't played for years. And in that case I usually lose the entire box(FFX where are you?).

The size comparison was just that, a comparison, take it as you will.

drpepper said:
Yah tell me about it. When Riven (Myst 2) was released it came on 4 discs and was very annoying. Apparently there was a special edition DVD version out there and it came on 1 DVD disc.

10th anniversary edition has the first three games on separate dvd's :)

I personaly would want a 150 dvd changer so i can keep my whole collection in the system at once.

But u know , i'm very lazy

scooby_dooby said:
I would rather have one disc as well, but if it means paying $10 for it? Screw that, I'm not THAT lazy, I AM that cheap though :p

btw:
king-king XBOX = 1.4GB

Oh okay so King Kong for the 360 is 5GBs cool. Care to get more games sizes for us as soon as you get more 360 games.

Thanks.

mckmas8808 said:
Oh okay so King Kong for the 360 is 5GBs cool. Care to get more games sizes for us as soon as you get more 360 games.

Thanks.

I've got a bunch of games already but I can't get the disc size off them. 5GB is for the PC download of the x360 port, if we take the xbox>PC comparison then maybe you would expect the x360 version to be slightly smaller on disc, like 4.5, but that's just a stab in the dark.

scooby_dooby said:

btw:
king-king XBOX = 1.4GB

Where did you get this info on the 360 size of KK?

scooby_dooby said:
We know that the x360 > PC port is 5.4GB installed, a 5GB download, that's the best we have to go on right now.

Standard Edition - 1.5GB installed
http://www.direct2drive.com/322/product/Buy-Pre-Order-Peter-Jackson's-King-Kong-%5BStandard-Edition%5D-Download

Hi-Res Edition - 5.4GB Installed
http://www.direct2drive.com/321/product/Buy-Peter-Jackson's:-King-Kong-[High-Res-Edition]-Download

So if the Hi-Res Edition is 5.4GB installed then wouldn't the console version be a little bit more?

mckmas8808 said:
So if the Hi-Res Edition is 5.4GB installed then wouldn't the console version be a little bit more?

Depends if it has any compression or not or any additions to support varied hardware for pcs that wouldn't be necessary on a console.

mckmas8808 said:

Well King Kong PC is 1.5GB installed, while king-king xbox1 is like 1.38, so it actually tends to be the reverse from the examples I've seen.

Maybe console games concentrate on higher compression cause they have less bandwidth to play with?

scooby_dooby said:
Well King Kong PC is 1.5GB installed, while king-king xbox1 is like 1.38, so it actually tends to be the reverse from the examples I've seen.

Maybe console games concentrate on higher compression cause they have less bandwidth to play with?

You can use all the compression avalible to you on the console . On the pc not all cards have the same compression .

Then there are other compresion tech that the xbox 360 has that the pc doesn't . I believe the xbox has over 30 diffrent forms of compression .

Not only that but the biggest game i know of so far (oblivion) was made with the pc in mind and 90% of its development was with non final xbox 360 hardware. I expect that the second gen games (that don't use cgi) will actually use less disc space than the first gen games

scooby_dooby said:

Oh okay so KK 360 probably is 5 GBs then. Cool.:cool:

Why not just do the easiest thing -- the easy way to check DVD sizes of games (at least it works for PS2 games) -- put the Xbox360 disc in your PC and go to explorer and look at the disc size.

lol, 4 years of hacking an not even xbox1 games can be read that way. The disc protection is very good. The only way to backup your xbox games to PC that I know of, is to place it in the xbox dvd drive, and transfer it via network cable to the PC.

Windows doesn't understand the partition tables or something like that...

scooby_dooby said:
We know that the x360 > PC port is 5.4GB installed, a 5GB download, that's the best we have to go on right now.

Standard Edition - 1.5GB installed
http://www.direct2drive.com/322/product/Buy-Pre-Order-Peter-Jackson's-King-Kong-%5BStandard-Edition%5D-Download

Hi-Res Edition - 5.4GB Installed
http://www.direct2drive.com/321/product/Buy-Peter-Jackson's:-King-Kong-[High-Res-Edition]-Download

Wouldnt the 360 version benefit(or at least possibly benefit if they needed to) from its known high compression features? PCs tend to not worry about compression so much becuase HD space is not usually a problem and they cannot guarentee what texture compression or CPU power is available to them. I would think, if anything, the 360 version could be quite a bit smaller than the PC version which would:

1. Put compression at a very low priority
2. Cater to the 'lowest common denominator' of hardware compression and CPU available for software compression.

Out of curiosty, do PC games install compressed or uncompressed textures to the HD? I would guess uncompressed given my reasons above but want to know if anyone has any other ideas...

Back