'Certain “highly anticipatedâ€￾ Xbox 360 title filling four discs worth of space'

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
I guess no one is going to connect that GAF bridge with this article so I guess i'll be the one to bring up the link. The thread title is also the same as Wunderchu from GAF had it.

The original poster of the Thread on GAF (Wunderchu) said he had originaly got to hearing this from here

Wunderchu from GAF said:
(I first heard about this news from here: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=397815 )

Heres the link to the 1up article that states this

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000903070963

I'm not sure myself what to pull from this, I'm just displaying the info and want to see what you all think. Some people are speculating that its Gears of War that is consuming this much Space, i'm not to sure myself...but all I know is, thats a whole lota space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really doubt it, but I can't say it would be a big deal, I played games on my C64 that were on 10 floppies. The funny part is if it takes up 4 dvds it still wouldn't fit on a single HDDVD (or BRD for that matter).

AlphaWolf said:
The funny part is if it takes up 4 dvds it still wouldn't fit on a single HDDVD (or BRD for that matter).

Thats what I find funny about it and i'm very curious as to what game this may be and why in gods name it takes up 4 fricken DVDs. Although it could fit on a Dual Layer BRD but that topic is a whole other beast.

It doesn't seem to me Pc games consume that much space..most dont even ship on DVD's yet do they?

And the next gen consoles are essentially high end PC's spec wise (with about half the RAM though)

I'm thinking 4-9 GB is average for very high end PC games.

But I'm sure the Final Fantasy types games can surpass that (wonder if FF games on PS2 shipped on multiple DVD's?).

Last edited by a moderator:
I would really doubt it is Gears of War. I mean they don't even have movies, in there, they just have them in engine so I don't know what would be taking up so much space...

Looking at the Xenosaga series and the length of its cutscenes (I don't believe their CG though) and looking at a 360 game with the same amount of cutscenes and time duration of those cutscenes (all in CG of course), it could take up alot of space I guess (especially in HD).

Even then, I don't see how 4 DVDs can be taken up.

The funny part is if it takes up 4 dvds it still wouldn't fit on a single HDDVD (or BRD for that matter).
Multi-disc titles typically have large amounts of data duplication to avoid excessive disc swapping (sometimes entire chapters of the game are just duplicated across multiple discs).
At least the reasonable ones do - back in Amiga days we DID have multi-disc games that were not duplicating much of anything(Cinemaware ahoy), and then you got like 10 "please insert disc no. XXX" messages during every load. It was beyond ridiculous.

Anyway, PC titles like Phantasmogoria shipped on 7+CDs 10 years ago, and I can assure you they would trivially fit on a single layer DVD with plenty of space to spare.

It's Enchant Arm, I believe.

"The volume of data in Enchant Arms won't fit into a single DVD. It's an RPG, so we're thinking it would be inevitable that we release it on two discs. But to be honest, that's even looking grim." -- Masanori Takeuchi, From Software.

Gholbine said:

"The volume of data in Enchant Arms won't fit into a single DVD. It's an RPG, so we're thinking it would be inevitable that we release it on two discs. But to be honest, that's even looking grim." -- Masanori Takeuchi, From Software.

Yeah thats looking like the most obvious game to surpass that many DVDs. How much CG are they using :oops:

Also, some people are speculating that the game may be "Too Human"

GI has been very on-the-mark for some of their rumours recently, but I doubt this is true, would guess Gears of War if forced to.
Most anticipated game for X360, the only heavily anticipated game probably at a stage to know how many discs it would require, and the developers have said DVD is not a big enough medium for next-gen.

AlphaWolf said:
~3.5 would, so rounding up...and as Faf said, no need for duplicate data (apart from reducing loadtimes) ;)

Possibly, but its not “highly anticipated”.

It'll be interesting to see if they actually release with multiple disc's worth of content.

I've heard enough games developers mention that towards the end of development they spend a lot of time optimizing the data layout (loading times), compression and saved-game formats.

Jack

Bill said:
So in a way..the fact the game is being done is proof the storage space is not a terrible problem in itself..

Not for the developer. But it's rather annoying for the consumers to have to switch between 4 dvd's.

AlphaWolf said:
I really doubt it, but I can't say it would be a big deal, I played games on my C64 that were on 10 floppies. The funny part is if it takes up 4 dvds it still wouldn't fit on a single HDDVD (or BRD for that matter).

4 X360 discs would be circa ~28GB (I think?). As Faf said, there's some probably some redundancy there also. I think the equivalent would comfortably fit on a Blu-ray disc, and if not, there's always dual-layer discs (50GB) which should be available from later next year.

Bjorn said:
Not for the developer. But it's rather annoying for the consumers to have to switch between 4 dvd's.
We did switch CDs previously, it's plain easy, as long as you don't have to swap them all the time.

Ingenu said:
We did switch CDs previously, it's plain easy, as long as you don't have to swap them all the time.

Disc-swapping might be less feasible in some circumstances, though..persistent online games, perhaps. At the very least, they'd have to ensure that all data required at any one time in an online world would be available off one disc.

Ingenu said:

Easy , perhaps. Annoying , yes. I remember playing Baldurs gate before i copied over the game to the HD and the cd swapping there isn't something i have fond memories of. Oops, i forgot to get item A from world 2, swap cd, back to world 3, swap again. And of course the good old Amiga days. But then you had the benefit of sitting close to the computer. Disc swapping when you're sitting comfortable in your sofa is a much bigger problem imo.

Back