Car decision: diesel or petrol?

Give us some links to this stuff man :)

Anyway there are still plenty of other alternatives and not all this stuff is nearly as cut and dried as you seem to imply.

For example with ethanol the power difference decreases on models with turbos. There are different factors that if taken into account on engine design should change the dynamics that you listed.

_xxx_, I don't know where you're getting your facts on biodiesel, but I'd love to see them. Basically everything you've posted is the complete opposite of everything I've ever read. Are you sure you aren't thinking of straight vegetable oil (SVO) instead of biodiesel? I'll buy the NOx stuff and seals on older cars, but everything else is crazy wrong.

Give us some links to this stuff man :)

Anyway there are still plenty of other alternatives and not all this stuff is nearly as cut and dried as you seem to imply.

For example with ethanol the power difference decreases on models with turbos. There are different factors that if taken into account on engine design should change the dynamics that you listed.

The Power decreases? That's got to be wrong as turbocharged engines has more hp running on ethanol than gasoline. What could easily be done however is to use a smaller displacement engine with a turbo running on ethanol which would have similar power characteristics as a larger gasoline powered one. That should help with mileage as displacement is one of the largest factors when it comes to how much petrol you'll use.

Those energy ratios are "energy invested for the production" vs. energy set free in the engine. Just to show the difference in economics.

Back