Car Buying Advice - Impreza or not?

Something to look out for with the Evo's is that the turbo service (each 6000 miles AFAIK) is quite pricey...

Buying snow tires would solve that problem. Plenty of europeans driving tru the snowy mountains to go skiing without big SUV's or 4wd cars but with just snow tires under their 1.4 Opel ;)
The 1.4 opel is FWD with skinny tires.

The 350z is RWD with fat tires.

One works well in snow, the other doesn't.

As for the Elise or Corvette. Can't really comment on the Corvette, but if you're interested in the Elise, just be aware that if you consider the 350Z to be dangerous in winter, driving an Elise under such conditions would be suicidal. ;) And it may be challenging to run as a everday car as well - it's more fun using it on hot days as a fun experience. It handles brilliant and is a very pure and rewarding driving experience. I'm sure for 30-40k there should be something available?

The 'Vette is suicidal in snow as well, despite its fantastic traction control/stability control system (traction management is no good if you don't have any traction to manage). I own a Z06, and I've had the "fun" experience of having to drive it home in the snow...

I don't know if you're only interested in brand new cars, but you might want to consider looking at slightly-used models. You can definitely get something for $30K-$40K in this case with regards to either an Elise or a 'Vette. Also, aside from being hazardous in the snow, the 'Vette (even the Z06) makes a great daily driver.

The 'Vette is suicidal in snow as well, despite its fantastic traction control/stability control system (traction management is no good if you don't have any traction to manage). I own a Z06, and I've had the "fun" experience of having to drive it home in the snow...

True, though in the Elise, it being a mid-engined rear wheel drive (60% of the weight at the back), once that back breaks loose, you better be quick and hope for the best. I wouldn't dare to drive one in winter or under wet conditions in summer when running track tires (i.e. Yokohama Advan 048)...

The Elise's main problem is quite simply that it's light. Unless you drive fast you don't have much grip, unless you drive relatively fast and get decent amount of downforce. This is also what makes it less apt at braking.

Then some of its turning capabillity is dependent on its mild oversteer from accelleration, which isn't helpful in snow either. Combined with fairly wide tires, it's just not all that grippy overall ...

: Wonders how much of a babe-magnet the Prius is going to be over here :

: Will soon find out : ;)

The Elise's main problem is quite simply that it's light. Unless you drive fast you don't have much grip, unless you drive relatively fast and get decent amount of downforce. This is also what makes it less apt at braking.

don't want to nitpick, but....

I would agree to this in winter on snow... But on a dry surface, grip is in direct relation to the weight/force and tire drag/friction, yet at the same time the missing weight benefits in that there's less centrifugal force pulling you out of the corner. None of the Elise have really wide tires either (which is more or less attributed to its handling characteristics and it being such a light car doesn't need wider tires).

Basically, all the attributes that makes an Elise, or in a more extreme case, a Super7, such a grippy and quick car around corners...

Then some of its turning capabillity is dependent on its mild oversteer from accelleration, which isn't helpful in snow either. Combined with fairly wide tires, it's just not all that grippy overall ...

: Wonders how much of a babe-magnet the Prius is going to be over here :

: Will soon find out : ;)

Your not going to waste your money on a prius I hope? Better give it to me than ;) If you want to drive economical buy a golf diesel. Not to mention that the prius is one goddamn ugly car.

About the RWD sports cars not being great in the snow, well what did you expect? thats like complaining a Ford F150 doesnt performs well on the track.

And wide tires and low wieght really dont matter that much.

Something to look out for with the Evo's is that the turbo service (each 6000 miles AFAIK) is quite pricey...

How serious is this? I mean why do they need to do it so often? I have 60k on wrx and have done nothing there. Makes me wonder if I should...Though I don't think the manual listed it prior to 60k

How serious is this? I mean why do they need to do it so often? I have 60k on wrx and have done nothing there. Makes me wonder if I should...Though I don't think the manual listed it prior to 60k

Not sure, just that I've heard it mentioned various times especially when comparing the STi to the EVO (in that the STI doesn't require the service as often).

If I am to guess though, I would say it's because the EVOs turbo runs on a higher boost than the equivilant STI - after all, the STI (at least in Europe and I presume US as well) has a 2.5l, compared to the 2.0l Evo engine...

Phil I was under the impression that the higher boost would take its toll on engine longevity (the actual block and pistons etc) not on turbo longevity. That is partially why they said the STi has a 2.5L engine and not a 2 like the original STi. To increase the durability of the vehicle.

If you want to drive economical buy a golf diesel.
If you want to drive economically you shouldnt buy a Golf diesel. They're expensive, and you will never make up for the high price with the (slight) fuel savings. Because they haven't a really great efficiency compared to other diesel cars either.

Back