Car Buying Advice - Impreza or not?

BlackAngus

Newcomer
Hello all!

I'm on the verge of paying off my current car and wanting to get a new one. Im looking to spend between 30k and 40k. My current ride is a 2005 impreza wrx, which I will be trading in. As a forward I live in mid-west united states, so the winters can get kind of bad sometimes as far as driving conditions go. Im currently looking at getting the following cars, and would like everyones input on what good, bad and ugly experiences you have had or heard about. Also any other vehicle suggestions are welcome! I a sporty car kind of guy, so no family wagons for me! Anyway here are my current thoughts:

Impreza WRX STi 2007 - ugly front and back. Nice ride overall tho, not quite as nice as Evo VIII.

Impreza WRX STi 2008 - Hatch only? Im not sure on this.

Evo X - I hear the current Evo VIII's are awesome, but too ugly for me. Test drove Evo VIII and loved it. Evo X looks very nice Imho. (I know many disagree with me here.)

G37 coupe - Not sporty enough handling. Drive very nice tho, and isn't too bad in the snow. (Thoughts from g35 couple)

350z - Very nice car, lots of after market enhancements, handles extremely poorly in the snow.

Id like to get Lotus Elise or a Corvette, but I fear they are out of my price range.

Anyway any stories, thoughts or suggestions would be great.
Thanks!

My friend drives an Evo IX MR and he says its really nice(I've only rode with him once and feels great inside aswell). If anything, the only con of that car is the slight turbo lag, but other than that, its a great car (imo).

350Zs REALLY suck in snow, don't plan on driving it during the winter months.

That's at least half the reason we're getting rid of ours.

Running any mods on your WRX? Spending a few thousand on some engine and suspension upgrades to your current car will net you close to STI performance, without having to spend money on a brand new car. Seems like you'd be taking quite a hit by getting rid of an 05 so soon, though if you can afford it, more power to you. :)

Myself, I like the STI the best, but then I'm a subaru guy.

A friend of mine was considering a 2007 STI for a while, but then decided to get the Evo IX instead. Both are nice, though IMO, I would prefer the EVO if only for its styling which I prefer. Both are really quick cars. :smile:

As for the Elise or Corvette. Can't really comment on the Corvette, but if you're interested in the Elise, just be aware that if you consider the 350Z to be dangerous in winter, driving an Elise under such conditions would be suicidal. ;) And it may be challenging to run as a everday car as well - it's more fun using it on hot days as a fun experience. It handles brilliant and is a very pure and rewarding driving experience. I'm sure for 30-40k there should be something available?

Running any mods on your WRX? Spending a few thousand on some engine and suspension upgrades to your current car will net you close to STI performance, without having to spend money on a brand new car. Seems like you'd be taking quite a hit by getting rid of an 05 so soon, though if you can afford it, more power to you. :)

Myself, I like the STI the best, but then I'm a subaru guy.

What are good starting point for modification for a wrx vs and STi? Im new to moding so Im not sure where to start. Im fairly handy but havent worked on cars much ( I wanna change that). I know 1 thing the WRX/STI needs is new seats! :) The EVO's are so lovely.

Phil said:
A friend of mine was considering a 2007 STI for a while, but then decided to get the Evo IX instead. Both are nice, though IMO, I would prefer the EVO if only for its styling which I prefer. Both are really quick cars.

As for the Elise or Corvette. Can't really comment on the Corvette, but if you're interested in the Elise, just be aware that if you consider the 350Z to be dangerous in winter, driving an Elise under such conditions would be suicidal. And it may be challenging to run as a everday car as well - it's more fun using it on hot days as a fun experience. It handles brilliant and is a very pure and rewarding driving experience. I'm sure for 30-40k there should be something available?

Ive driven my buddies Corvette and its a whole different world than my WRX.(duh? :) ) But 50k is just too much money for me. The vette handles great and breaks like a demon. Id love to be able to drive an elise, so I could compare how it feels. As it would be a primary driving car I may have to consider a used truck with the elise's price :( Which puts it into corvette range. (Aww to hell with it exige anyone?) Im about 6'2 will I even fit in an elise?

But on to it, why did your buddy end up getting the EVO over the STi any particular reasons other than styling?

Ive driven my buddies Corvette and its a whole different world than my WRX.(duh? :) ) But 50k is just too much money for me. The vette handles great and breaks like a demon. Id love to be able to drive an elise, so I could compare how it feels. As it would be a primary driving car I may have to consider a used truck with the elise's price :( Which puts it into corvette range. (Aww to hell with it exige anyone?) Im about 6'2 will I even fit in an elise?

But on to it, why did your buddy end up getting the EVO over the STi any particular reasons other than styling?

Hmm, 6'2 might be pushing it a little, especially in the Exige with the roof on. I was able to fit my cousin into one (he's around 6'2), but I'm not sure if it made him consider one. Best to find a dealer and give it a try - the only way to find out!

I would have to ask, but if I'm not mistaken, he went for the Evo because of the styling and the belief that the handling is better. It's also rather tuning friendly here in Switzerland (you can practically get the IX with 330bhp straight from the main dealer).

What are good starting point for modification for a wrx vs and STi? Im new to moding so Im not sure where to start. Im fairly handy but havent worked on cars much ( I wanna change that). I know 1 thing the WRX/STI needs is new seats! :) The EVO's are so lovely.

Go to NASIOC to look at mods etc..

What is wrong in your opinion with the WRX seats btw? I love them they fit great, though I think I will get leather upholstery soon for them. I just wanted to know what about them annoys you.

I will be keeping my WRX for a very long time now that I have my carputer built into it as well. That really makes it sweet.

Go to NASIOC to look at mods etc..

What is wrong in your opinion with the WRX seats btw? I love them they fit great, though I think I will get leather upholstery soon for them. I just wanted to know what about them annoys you.

I will be keeping my WRX for a very long time now that I have my carputer built into it as well. That really makes it sweet.

Whats wrong? Well I sat in the EVO Recaro's :). They felt like a glove to me, and with how stiff the car is that was awesome. So to me when comparing the two, the wrx seats feel loose and dont seem to give much support when cornering. The WRX seats arent bad, the Recaro seats just spoil.

A carputer would rock!

Hmm maybe I have a fat ass, I thought the WRX seats fit like that. I was assuming that is what you didn't like. I haven't sat in an EVO though so I have no comparison and you may well be right on that front. The pics of the EVO show it too low for my taste though. The whole reason I got a WRX is that it wasn't going to bash into every bump, dip, or rock on the road.

I develop cars. And a babe magnet is something like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche or such, definitely not a pimped-up Subaru.

But maybe the babes over there just have a very different taste...

I develop cars. And a babe magnet is something like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche or such, definitely not a pimped-up Subaru.

No its kids getting to see to much stuff like the fast and the furious and these days and developing bad tastes. I see it here to, I say Ferrari, they say Supra. For the love of god...

As a forward I live in mid-west united states, so the winters can get kind of bad sometimes as far as driving conditions go

Buying snow tires would solve that problem. Plenty of europeans driving tru the snowy mountains to go skiing without big SUV's or 4wd cars but with just snow tires under their 1.4 Opel ;)

I guess to own a EVO or a STI is very 'in' when you're in your 20ies. It's one of the proper quick cars that isn't a BMW, Audi or Merc. I would think such a car would give you quite a bit of attention...

Other cars that may include that list would probably be Mazda RX8, 350Z...

Sure, a Ferrari, Porsche is always guaranteed attention, though most of the time, it's driven by a guy in his 60ties that probably didn't know how to spend his money before its too late... At least that's the case over here in Switzerland (and we do get a lot of Porsches on the road and our fair share of Ferraris)

Thats true. But I guess its more a matter of bad taste. People here love those pimped out opel astra's, old golf gti's, run down CRX's etc. but I dont think that in any ways those are cool cars and they certainly arnt babe magnets. Atleast not the kind of girls I'd want to be with.

If you want a babe magnet, a fun drive and got 30 to 40k I'd say buy a Ferrari 308. The car is usually around 30k so that leaves you another 10k on getting the engine back into shape. Not a usefull car for everyday but you are sure to attract babes with it (as long as it keeps running).

Hmm maybe I have a fat ass, I thought the WRX seats fit like that. I was assuming that is what you didn't like. I haven't sat in an EVO though so I have no comparison and you may well be right on that front. The pics of the EVO show it too low for my taste though. The whole reason I got a WRX is that it wasn't going to bash into every bump, dip, or rock on the road.

hehe well Im tall and skinny, so there may lie the difference! Yes the evo rides low, but not low enough to have issues with the ground, except with large holes, etc. But I agree 100% that I like my wrx ride height as it is stock. It gets around great even in deep snow. Im hoping to take my car to road america a couple times a year and have a track day. Im in my early 30's and married, so Im not worried about babes... Just a fun as hell ride!

Reverend said:
All the cars you mentioned are babe magnets. This is the wrong place to ask!
Since STi or EVO are both "race (Rally) cars" I think you could consider them babe magnets. I mean go to a tuner show with a nicely moded STi = Babes.

Anyway the new york auto show is this week so I guess we find out more about the new STi then! Cant wait. Im still leaning to get a 2007 WRX STi I think. 08 is out if its hatch only. EVO X is very nice.... I still am wondering if I shouldnt get it.

Any more opinions, knowledge, facts, or rumors welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back