Call of Duty 4: Modern combat trailer up

Hrmm... interesting. Any hints on what ways the shadow filtering techniques differ, and why? Would make an interesting discussion.

Fetch4 versus PCF seems more than likely.

edit: hm... scratch that... Xenos doesn't support Fetch4 in the same manner as with R580. They could do something similar with shaders...

They could easily patch to support mouse and keyboard and the shock.

The KB/M thing would be a political hassle if they're running servers and they had to dedicate KB/M versus Sixaxis servers.

Sixaxis may still be coming. They apparently have a board with ideas and things to do and the dualshock is on it. That means its an idea being considered, not decided on yet. However, apparently there is currently no provision for it in the game, so it's not something they will be able to throw in just like that, or that decision would obviously have been much easier.

As for the shadows, it reminds me of nAo mentioning somewhere that certain shadow problems were less of an issue on 360, which may have caused the PS3 team to go to a different shadow approach when the 360 team didn't have to.

CoD4 developer said:
No rumble (DS3) support - we found out about it too late to add it to this game. Hopefully next time around, though!

Interesting, I always thought rumble patches would be trivial for multiplatform games as 360 versions already have it.

Anyway, game looks great but lack of dedicated servers is highly concerning especially considering the reports about lag in 360 beta.

I guess, I will wait for more online impressions.

Anyway, game looks great but lack of dedicated servers is highly concerning especially considering the reports about lag in 360 beta.

I guess, I will wait for more online impressions.

There will allways be lag when you play with random people that are hosting.

One of the reasons I only play on dedicated servers.

Lag brings more frustration than I can usually tolerate, and I hate to quit playing games that I like.

Well, it looks like they put a yellow filter on top (not a bad idea considering it's a desert... and not uncommon in certain films/TV series). In subtractive colour theory, Blue + Yellow = Green.

edit:

Anyways, pre-beta was awhile ago... The gametrailers' video, "Making of Crash" shows a blue filter being applied partway through the development, which was ultimately tweaked.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27444.html

Haven't the devs already said there is very little difference between the two? (shadows look different is all he mentioned)

No point digging up pre-beta screenshots to see.

green sky = wrong imo
Yep, green sky is wrong. But blue walls and grey dirt for the desert are just as wrong. Real places look a lot more saturated and yellow like the PS3 pics, but with blue skies, sometimes white especially in photos. The colour balance in the XB360 is off, and the 'fix' in the PS3 screenshot is a cheap hack that makes a mess of the sky.

So the difference is color filters +/- some shadow details? Hmm I'll just set a profile for the demo and play it black and white, how bout that!

Seriously, stop discussing those screenshots, they're from different builds ...

When a 360 build runs on the ps3 or vice versa, you let me know. Yes, its quite probable that they were at various stages of development on each platform but it gives an idea that they are quite similar other than the filtering.

When a 360 build runs on the ps3 or vice versa, you let me know. Yes, its quite probable that they were at various stages of development on each platform but it gives an idea that they are quite similar other than the filtering.

The article linked is misleading, it has been announced by developers that PS3 shots are from a later build and recent builds of 360 looks the same in terms of color filtering and environmental details (wires etc).

Pretty useless blog entry in general.

Correct. The IW interview actually stated this and noted the pictures as an example of the progression of the art through development.

Back