Call of Duty 4: Modern combat trailer up

In my opinion, this game deserves to be played from the couch on a large TV with surround sound.

Perhaps, but a 24" monitor from 3 feet fills a lot more of your field of vision than a 50" HDTV at 10 feet thus giving a greater sense of emmersion.

Plus I think this game just begs for K/M control.

I was skeptical of console controls in FPS games, but I'm just finishing Resistance and now quite adept with the controller. My 50" plasma + 5.1 is - for me at least - far more emmersive than my 24" monitor...might have something to do with chair vs. couch/headphones vs. 5.1 and the dark room in the basement...

Still a bit torn.

Funnily enough even my GTS 640 can't maintain a solid >60fps in this game all of the time even at those settings. However in other places its getting close to 200fps. Never does it fall below 40fps but in high action areas the framerate can hover between 45 and 60.

I'm guessing that its a CPU limitation as increasing settings barley does anything to my framerate. In addition, i'm dubious as to whether the console versions genuinly maintain >60fps all of the time or whether its just a 60% of the time kinda thing.

For the record I have an E6600 and play this at 1280x800 + 16xTMAA/16xHQAF. Getting a locked 60fps about 60-70% of the time with the rest hovering between 40 and 60.

Yes this game depends heavily on CPU for whatever reason which I dont find justicable considering what is rendered, AI and scripted. A single core CPU has problems mantaining the framerate wilst a dual-core does a far better job, with same GPU. :smile:

Some texture comparison photos:

ps3vs360_10.jpg

Look over the tire and between the fence. There is more debris/object in the 360 shot and than the PS3 screenshot. And no, this has nothing to do with the angles. Both are looking at the same area.
Btw, it's funny to see people downplay CoD4 since it's cross platform but Halo3 was being slammed left and right.

The texturing on that wall is laughable. It's not a quarter the resolution, but 1/16th. How can this be explained? If they were being sensible, they'd have reduced a larger number of textures to half/quarter size to accommodate memory problems. It looks instead like they were using full texture quality and then found they were out of room, and which point they just started shrinking the few remaining textures. :???: The other explanation I can think of is that there's a mip-mapping/LOD problem. Think GeOW as the textures load, and they jump from low quality to high quality.

It looks to be static objects but I may be wrong.

I *think* I can see a soldier lying on the ground aiming with a gun...

The texturing on that wall is laughable. It's not a quarter the resolution, but 1/16th.

I disagree - it's not even a quarter the resolution, the difference is less than that.

By the way, I think the 360 version is normalmapped, while the PS3 is baked, but this can only be proven in motion... the same for the ground - it is baked with more extreme lighting settings, that's why some people like it more - it's more pronounced.

I disagree - it's not even a quarter the resolution, the difference is less than that.

By the way, I think the 360 version is normalmapped, while the PS3 is baked, but this can only be proven in motion... the same for the ground - it is baked with more extreme lighting settings, that's why some people like it more - it's more pronounced.

Yep agreed, it looks like someone holding a gun to me.

Also it should be noted that while the wall texture in the PS3 version is poor, the ground texture is significantly superior.

I think that is caused by the to high sharpness levels.

Also you have to remeber these shots are from 1080P, and I think we know the PS3's scalar is worse then the 360's wouldn't this be deterimental to the image?.

:) (Smiling at the regular crew sniping at details)
Which level is that ? I can go see for myself.

The graphics rivals the best in CoD4, but I think I prefer some more artistic treatment than just making things look more realistic (Laa-Yosh, if you're reading this... I finally understood a little what you meant by art ;-) ).

Yep agreed, it looks like someone holding a gun to me.

Also it should be noted that while the wall texture in the PS3 version is poor, the ground texture is significantly superior.

Definitly, and the filtering is higher as well, 8x anisotropic? easily noticiable on both the original and the other zoomed one posted. Seems that the X360 favours more detail up close range while the PS3 went for some balance in between.

:) (Smiling at the regular crew sniping at details)
Which level is that ? I can go see for myself.

The graphics rivals the best in CoD4, but I think I prefer some more artistic treatment than just making things look more realistic (Laa-Yosh, if you're reading this... I finally understood a little what you meant by art ;-) ).

I think we need someone with 360 version to check this out.

To me it looks like someone holding a gun, in fact I would say it definitely is.

That definitely is a dude with a gun.

These comparisons are a little strange to me. So many off screen pictures blown up 1000 times. There are obviously some differences, but the quality on these images is really bad. A side-by-side video comparison would be nice.

Video compression screws image quality much worse than still image compression, so the difference should be pretty drastic to be visible in a reasonably-compressed video.

You got me on that one.

Ok, someone mail me their consoles and the games, and I promise I'll do an impartial side-by-side evaluation at my house.

[Kiss PS3. Pack up PS3 and CoD4 carefully in Fedex box]

Ok Scott... you just wait for it. PM me when you receive the package.

Back