Bush meets the press

Natoma, again, making semantic arguments without going to the source makes you only look like a fool.

Go read the Kay testimony in question (http://www.ceip.org/files/projects/npp/pdf/Iraq/kaytestimony.pdf).

Particularly this quote, and others like it:

MR. KAY: I think you will have, when you get the final ISG report,
pretty compelling evidence that Saddam had the intention of continuing the pursuit of WMD when the opportunity arose, and that the first start on that...

Kay is constantly "predicting" that the final report will show <X>, and bases that on evidence that he then offers examples of. It seems to be his manner of speaking: he refers to the report in the future tense, even if the facts are known.

Your reliance on a quote from a lazy reporter quoting him is just laziness compounded.

Before you go calling people fools Russ, you should perhaps re-read the article I provided. What was the date on that article? January 28, 2004. What was the article based on? An interview David Kay gave to the Washington Post where they used his quotes from that interview, not the October congressional preliminary report.

The article I provided and the section I quoted re: Kay's comments to the interviewer on January 27, 2004, have nothing to do with the PDF you linked to.

But you go calling people fools all you like. :rolleyes:

p.s.: I read the entire report when it came out btw, and there are many instances where Kay states that there was no evidence of weapons and that Saddam was frankly deceived and his entire society was corrupt. That his scientists and military advisors were frankly grifting the system.

Gah. Kay had another briefing on January 26th, which is the one I linked to.

I missed that the article was discussing an NPR interview. The transcript for that is also available(for a small fee):

Mr. DAVID KAY (Former UN Weapons Inspector in Iraq): Well, I think what we reported in October and what the president actually cited in the State of the Union address are the most important things we found. We found that the Iraqi government, particularly Saddam Hussein and his senior leadership, had an intention to continue to pursue their WMD activities; that they, in fact, had a large number of WMD program-related activities. Now it's also important what we have not found. We have not yet found actual weapons and certainly not large stockpiles of weapons. So there was a WMD program. It was going ahead. It was rudimentary in many areas--for example, the nuclear area. But it continued without, though, actual stockpiles of weapons.

Mr. KAY: Well, I think one has to be cautious in this regard. Because of the breakdown of social and political order at the end of the war and rioting and looting continued unchecked for at least two months, we're going to be left with ambiguity as to what we found. My summary view, based on what I've seen, is that we are very unlikely to find large stockpiles of weapons. I don't think they exist. That's my personal view based on the evidence as of when I left. The search is going to go on, and indeed one shouldn't be surprised in Iraq by surprises. You continue to be surprised by what you find. I personally think we're going to find program activities, and some of them are quite substantial, as in the missile area. We're not going to find large stockpiles.

Again, he talks in the future tense about the findings of the final outcome of the ISG investigation, and the response before he speaks of the past tense of the determination of the existance of programs.

The linked article before this was a follow on briefing by Kay to the senate (again) and not the October one I originally linked.

So, your supposed "changing of tunes" is bracketed by two different senate briefings (the last one a day after he gave this interview) where he's explicit that they've found programs.

So as I said before, I'm not saying Kay lied to Congress. I'm saying that his answers thus far have ranged from the "definitive" to the "we will find proof" to "I believe..."

That is simply "good" politicking, and note I am not making a good or bad evaluation of this, merely stating what it is in its purest form. The only position he hasn't waffled on in some way shape or form is whether or not the CIA is to blame.

Whether or not his comments come in an interview with a magazine, or on radio, or in a congressional hearing, I expect some semblance of consistancy on the issue. Given the articles written at MSNBC, CNN, Washington Post, Fox, and the minutes from the congressional hearings, I don't get the sense at all that it has been consistant all the way around. There certainly seem to be some semantical games being played in order for political purposes, as I stated in my original posts on the matter.

Your posts are the only semantical games being played.

There are two parts to Kay's testimony(s) and interviews:
1) The conclusion
2) The facts found

He predicts the final conclusion, and backs it up with the facts found.

What conclusion? Currently, his personal opinion is that the programs existed but were purposefully stopped short of production to better keep them hidden.

What facts? He has a litany of them, listed in both congressional and to a lesser degree in the short interview on NPR.

There's no inconsistancy at all, if you'd bother to read what he's said.

Back to the semantics game. I should face the facts: you're not concerned with them. We started this thread off with your assertation that there was no intent, or programs, past 1998. I showed you there was. Rather than admit you were wrong, you changed the goalposts.

Face it, you're a political animal and care for nothing except tearing the other team down, facts be damned.

You're the one talking about "oh he's just talking in future tense or past tense and that's why....." and putting all these qualifiers into his speech. But I'm the one playing semantic games? Ok.

I read the congressional reports, and the reports from various news media outlets. And what did Kay say when the senators asked him for specific evidence of weapons or weapons program? "I believe evidence will be found" or "Saddam was deceived and there was nothing." When asked whether or not Saddam was a dangerous threat and definitely wanted to pursue WMD, what did he say? "Oh definitely. Without a doubt." But they were also followed up by these reductionist bits of illogic. Saddam used weapons and wanted weapons before right, so he obviously must have wanted them now correct? Yes, definitely senator. Over and over and over again. Yet when asked for specifics and asked about myriad situations, Kay repeatedly stated, "Oh saddam was deceieved about his own programs and weapons. Their society was corrupt. Yea those weapons didn't exist. They weren't there. We believe they had the capability to make small weapons, but we don't know."

I am concerned about the facts. But comments like these,

I personally think we're going to find program activities, and some of them are quite substantial, as in the missile area. We're not going to find large stockpiles.

after making a statement

We found that the Iraqi government, particularly Saddam Hussein and his senior leadership, had an intention to continue to pursue their WMD activities; that they, in fact, had a large number of WMD program-related activities.

do not ease my mind in any way shape or form. "I think we're going to find program activities" and "We found... an intention to continue to pursue their WMD activities" are two different statements. If you want to parse his language and say "Well in one statement he was talking in past tense and in another statement he's talking in future tense" and say that that's why they do not contradict one another, then who is really playing the role of political animal?

You know, it's funny. Epicstruggle called me a liar who couldn't keep my facts straight in one thread about the british finding WMD in the desert. So I pull up a link that shows that first of all it was the danish army, and second that they thought it was blister agent and it turned out to be nothing. I get no apology. You call me a fool in this thread, and it turns out you weren't even talking about the article I was discussing. No apology. Epicstruggle then says that I obviously only care about Bush's Vietnam record because I believe that it's Kerry who's going to win, and he challenges me to "admit" my bias and the bias of democrats. I then pull up tons of quotes of my own writing, where I touch on that very subject and my distaste for the "politics as usual" that is going on with something I personally deem to be rather insignificant. Do I get an apology or retraction? Nope. Legion in another thread makes about 15 statements that he says I made, and says I'm just trying to "mask" things with my language. I showed him absolute proof that I never made any of those statements. Do I get any retraction or apology for the litany of accusations? Nope, none at all. Democoder has made assertion after assertion regarding posts of mine in the past, without proof whatsoever. When I expose his statements, do I ever get an apology for his personal attacks? Nope, never.

I'm just finding it comical that you're now just trying to put the "oh you're just a political animal who doesn't care about the facts" label on me. Isn't that the one epicstruggle tried to place on me in the other thread without much success? Typical I suppose.

Your ability to check out from reality and dismiss anything that doesn't fit your preconceived political agenda is astounding and is apparently resistant to fact or reason.

There's only been a few times I've done this, but you've just entered the list of people that aren't worth my time talking with. Of course, I'll qualify that to "over politics".

Russ, you were one of the people I was referring to when I wrote this in an earlier thread:

I just can't get upset anymore. To far too many people here, war is fine and can be started for any reason whatsoever as long as we get the evil doer.

"Well we didn't find any WMD and sure that was the reason we went into Iraq and started this war, but we got the evil doer, so the it's ok with me."

And the funny thing is, some of these same people will be in an ATI/NVIDIA thread demonizing Nvidia [edit: or ATI for that matter] for not fulfilling what it said it would do in any topic, or massaging the truth about certain situations. One is dealing with life and death and should receive that level of scrutiny. The other is dealing with a damn videocard company.

Maddening........

You really want to go round and round on this? :rolleyes:

My accusation of epicstruggle not apologizing to me is thereby rescinded, and I have responded in that thread. I didn't see it before.

And you Legion? You're still outstanding in that department you know, unless you also apologized somewhere and I didn't see it.

And you Legion? You're still outstanding in that department you know, unless you also apologized somewhere and I didn't see it.

I believe i stated if I infact misunderstood your intentions and misrepresented them then i apologize.

However, your being a "political animal" is hardly discredited by either Epic's or my apologizes.

I think your unyeilding defense of genetic predeterminism is par for the course with the political agenda.

BTW - may I ask for an apology for your assertions i was stating homosexuality was deviant (ie wicked) knowing that of course has never been my position. I don't know if you ever apologized for misrepresenting me and i would liek to lay this matter to rest.

Legion said:
I believe i stated if I infact misunderstood your intentions and misrepresented them then i apologize.

That's not much of an apology when you're dealing with pretty hardcore evidence sitting in front of you. I don't want a "well if I offended in this or that or misrepresented in this or that then I'm sorry" janet-jackson-psuedo apology. epicstruggle apologized outright, and I respect him for doing so. What you've been doing has been nothing like that. ;)

Legion said:
However, your being a "political animal" is hardly discredited by either Epic's or my apologizes.

And there you go again btw. I never said that your apology and epicstruggle's apology had anyhing to do with Russ's "fool" comment, which is what I want an apology for. ;)

Natoma said:
You [RussSchultz] call me a fool in this thread, and it turns out you weren't even talking about the article I was discussing. No apology.

Read before commenting please Legion. :)

Legion said:
BTW - may I ask for an apology for your assertions i was stating homosexuality was deviant (ie wicked) knowing that of course has never been my position. I don't know if you ever apologized for misrepresenting me and i would liek to lay this matter to rest.

I can't misrepresent what you write. But c'est la vie.

Legion said:
Unless of course you believe were predispositioned to be homosexual then you might as well refer to yourself as a deviant mutation...

And there you go again btw. I never said that your apology and epicstruggle's apology had anyhing to do with Russ's "fool" comment, which is what I want an apology for. ;)

Not directly, you work often with implications. You have implied misrepresenting you is "typical". In other words you are trying to assert Russ' realizations of your political bias are in line with those "typical" misrepresentations in an attempt to discredit him.

I have read through you discussions Natoma. I agree, you are a political animal.

And for anyone that wants to back track to where you were outright saying I said things I never put to paper, then they can start right here.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210718#210718

It was rather obvious to Paul that I was due an apology from you, and you have said that if you misrepresented, you apologize. Well, as evidenced by the link, you most certainly did misrepresent. So I don't want a "well if i did" because that part is not in doubt. You did. So at this point, all I want is "I apologize."

That's it, and nothing more.

Legion said:

Not directly, you work often with implications. You have implied misrepresenting you is "typical". In other words you are trying to assert Russ' realizations of your political bias are in line with those "typical" misrepresentations in an attempt to discredit him.

I have read through you discussions Natoma. I agree, you are a political animal.

Getting to the meat of the subject. Did I ask for an apology about that? No. Did I ask for an apology about the fool comment? Yes. Is the fool comment the only thing I asked for an apology over? Yes.

Again, the "implications" you try to place on other people is what got you into trouble in the thread where you attributed statement after statement to me. Don't get yourself into trouble yet again Legion.

I can't misrepresent what you write. But c'est la vie.

Indeed you can misrepresent what i have written

de·vi·ant ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dv-nt)
adj.
Differing from a norm or from the accepted standards of a society.

Perhaps you just didn't understand the definition of the word i was using?

Legion said:
Unless of course you believe were predispositioned to be homosexual then you might as well refer to yourself as a deviant mutation...
[/quote]

Right, a wicked mutation. That must have been what i meant. Though i am admitedly an aetheist, a supporter of gay marriage and a bisexual. I guess i was stating i am a wicked mutation too Natoma. Lets be serious, you could have looked up the word at dictionary.com or have asked exactly what i meant apon realizing the possible definition of the word.

Again, the "implications" you try to place on other people is what got you into trouble in the thread where you attributed statement after statement to me. Don't get yourself into trouble yet again Legion.

Just as your implications about my lack of education in the field of psychology after lumping me into the same categories of Joe and his "natural debate"? I have never called you to apologize to me for belittling my education in psychology but i am thinking i shall.

Again. Quote me. I have absolutely no problem quoting you. Quote me please. No inferences. No "Well I think you said this."

Quote me.

Back