I was banned for two weeks and I "fear" the reason why.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13524

I asked around some moderators by PM where I should place this, and was told by some to post here.
The subject is sensitive and I may very well be banned for placing these matters publicly.. but honestly? If this can't be solved through discussion, then I don't think being in the forum was ever worth it at all, and I want to believe otherwise.

I was banned from the forum for two weeks, which was the result of one infraction point I got from AlStrong and another two infraction points from BRiT.

The reasons for the infractions that BRiT applied leave me nothing but dumbfounded.
I got one "trolling" infraction for asking if Smartglass was exclusive to windows tablets and another for saying I didn't think a certain game may not be a favorite for "core" gamers because it seemed based off quick time events.
Both posts were on-topic and well within the thread's rules.

These infractions, added with a single infraction point I had taken earlier from AlStrong (from a post in the same thread that I made after the posts moderated by BRiT), resulted in a two-week ban in my account.

The lack of a valid reason for my ban leave me with no other choice than to think the administrator has some personal issues with me. I think BRiT saw my first infraction point and aimed for the ban from the start with no chance for discussion or clarification, by giving me two infraction points from harmless posts.

Since the issues come from an administrator, I'm pretty much defenseless here.
I fear that trying to solve these issues directly with BRiT will just result in getting me banned again, as I'm convinced his behavior towards me is hostile.

I know I can be a little bit too vocal about some things.. but whenever I get an infraction point, I try to correct myself and I tend to lay low on opinions for a while.
I like to participate in this forum a lot. I've been around for more than a couple of years and I try to bring news and valid arguments to the table, even knowing my knowledge is sub-par on most discussions.
But honestly, this puts everything in question. I (or any other) can't participate if I get infractions and bans for nothing.

I don't remember having any sort of behavior towards BRiT or anyone else that would justify this.
I just want to solve this. I'm not expecting any kind of apology, pardon or immunity. More than that, I'm actually expecting another ban.. but I just couldn't let this go through and risk another surprise ban later on.

I just want to know why the ban actually happened, apologize if I have to, solve these issues and get on with my life.

Here are the posts that were moderated and resulted in two infraction points:

ToTTenTranz said:
Killer Instinct exclusive?

So that's now 5 titles for the "hardcore."

MS sure did abandon the hardcore. /roll_eyes. :)

Regards,
SB
Even if the theme is about war, blood and beardy men, it doesn't look like Ryse with its QTE gameplay will be a core gamer favorite.

Oooh, using smartglass as an in game controller. Finally, nice.

Use your tablet to control your game.

Regards,
SB

Which tablets? Only Win8 and WinRT?

Oooh they're talking about that.

Regards.

I think BRiT wants to ban anyone who likes Sony. :LOL:

But seriously, it's a message board, who cares, your bans over.

I don't think that was very fair if this is all there is to it. But I'm not the mod so my say has nothing.

Unfortunate though, 2 weeks is a long time if you want to contribute and take part in threads.

Oooh, using smartglass as an in game controller. Finally, nice.

Use your tablet to control your game.

Regards,
SB

Which tablets? Only Win8 and WinRT?

Oooh they're talking about that.
Tottentranz said:
MGS on the Xbox One. Going for the hardcore right from the start. Nice. Looks good too.
And another title aimed at the Hardcore. So, that's now 4 titles comfirmed for the "hardcore" gamer on Xbox One.
Killer Instinct exclusive?

So that's now 5 titles for the "hardcore."

MS sure did abandon the hardcore. /roll_eyes. :smile:
And now Forza.

So far, nothing unveiled for the casuals.
So, yet another exclusive for the "hardcore." Yup, Microsoft definitely sold out to the casuals. /roll_eyes. :smile:
I think we can all conclude from this that Microsoft has definitely abandoned the core gamer. /sarcasm.

Can't wait to see what Sony has at their conference.

Looks like someone has a problem with a broken record.

These two posts were not particularly conducive to discussion. The latter post at least serves no purpose other than baiting a response to a rather inconsequential point that you are focusing upon when there are other concerns such as the thread topic. edit: if you had a problem with what he was posting, there was certainly time to rebutt or simply ignore it and move on.

While I can't speak for Brit's infractions, there did not seem to be an end to the number of reported posts with your name attached about the noise-filled off-topic sarcasm, so a time-out was decided for the "silly-season" in order to detract from derailing the thread even more than necessary.

These two posts were not particularly conducive to discussion. The latter post at least serves no purpose other than baiting a response to a rather inconsequential point that you are focusing upon when there are other concerns such as the thread topic.

While I can't speak for Brit's infractions, there did not seem to be an end to the number of reported posts with your name attached about the noise-filled off-topic sarcasm, so a time-out was decided for the "silly-season" in order to detract from derailing the thread even more than necessary.

The multi-quote post is the one you attributed an infraction point for, which I didn't (and don't) criticize or ask for further clarification.

FWIW, I was pointing out Silent_Buddha's consecutive posts with ironic flame-bait comments towards those who claimed the xbone didn't seem oriented at core gamers.
But it's not my place to moderate other users directly. I should have just used the report button and gone my way, hence the deserving infraction.

I have absolutely no idea why you, or any other, would find the post about the tablets as sarcasm or noise.
I was simply asking if smartglass was only available to win 8/rt tablets.

The multi-quote post is the one you attributed an infraction point for, which I didn't (and don't) criticize or ask for further clarification.

FWIW, I was pointing out Silent_Buddha's consecutive posts with ironic flame-bait comments towards those who claimed the xbone didn't seem oriented at core gamers.
But it's not my place to moderate other users directly. I should have just used the report button and gone my way, hence the deserving infraction.

Unfortunately, what you were doing was making it a very big target (it's hard to miss multi-quotes) and derailing the ongoing discussion - we've had a rule for a while now about pointing out certain behaviour during on-going discussion. Ultimately, it further detracts from the discussion. So yes, reporting might very well have been the better path. It seems most simply ignored the sarcasm for what it was.

I have absolutely no idea why you, or any other, would find the post about the tablets as sarcasm or noise.
I was simply asking if smartglass was only available to win 8/rt tablets.
From what I surmise, it was the: "Oooh they're talking about that," bit added right after the questions as if you already knew the answer yet decided to bring up the questions for some reason or other.

Unfortunately, what you were doing was making it a very big target (it's hard to miss multi-quotes) and derailing the ongoing discussion - we've had a rule for a while now about pointing out certain behaviour during on-going discussion. Ultimately, it further detracts from the discussion. So yes, reporting might very well have been the better path. It seems most simply ignored the sarcasm for what it was.

You're right, and as I stated above, I have no issues whatsoever with that infraction.

From what I surmise, it was the: "Oooh they're talking about that," bit added right after the questions.

What about that bit?
As I was writing that post, the E3 presenters started talking about smartglass so I ended the post with "Ooh they're talking about that".

We were all writing the posts during the presentation so that kind of sentence was pretty regular at the time. What other possible meaning could you take from that sentence?

What about that bit?
As I was writing that post, the E3 presenters started talking about smartglass so I ended the post with "Ooh they're talking about that".

We were all writing the posts during the presentation so that kind of sentence was pretty regular at the time. What other possible meaning could you take from that sentence?

It was understood to be a sarcastic remark on "tablets" only being MS platforms as opposed to being open to others (I wasn't following the conference at the time), and thus a seemingly pointless one if you "already knew" yet seemed to be making a point about it. Given that there was no "edited" indication, there didn't appear to be any other reason for the post.

A misunderstanding then.

----

side note edit: AlNets now. >_> (entirely unrelated and in-joke)

Two cents: I has them.

I have no problem with constructively (read: politely) publicly questioning a mod's actions (especially when that mod isn't me ;P).

I also (mis)read your "Oooh" comment as sarcastically asking after Smart Glass' limited potential user base and then sarcastically mimicking S_B's "Oooh," so that makes two of us.

While someone may fear a mod's actions as hostile or unreasonable, consider that silly season creates a lot of added mod work for no additional compensation. Mistakes may be made in the midst of clearing the moderation in-box. Though I'd consider a two-week ban a welcome vacation from some of the endless loops in the console forum.

It sucks when it happens to you, but I respect the developers for keeping a short leash on people during a console-launch E3, as it brings out the worst in people.

For what it's worth, I've been in a similar boat during the last E3 console shift, where I got infraction points that I didn't think were fair (though not enough to get banned). I was pretty annoyed, but in the end there's little to do about it after the fact, and most moderators moderate for the love, not the money, so we need to respect that a little as well.

Ok, so the "Oooh" led to a misunderstanding.
That's infraction no. 2, but the ban was a result of 3 infractions.

ToTTenTranz said:
Even if the theme is about war, blood and beardy men, it doesn't look like Ryse with its QTE gameplay will be a core gamer favorite.
This was actually a point that was thoroughly discussed by several gaming websites.
How could this be interpreted as "trolling", worthy of a third infraction that would put me banned for 2 weeks?

How can someone not think this was a premeditated effort to get me banned, instead of attributing infraction points for incorrect posts?

Jesus fucking christ, you get infractions for being sarcastic now? This isn't about leashes, this is simply about cliques ... most people would almost never get an infraction for those kinds of post, a fair amount of people could get away with a fuckton more.

It has nothing to do with cliques.

You know how I know ToTTenTranz? Because he has like 10+ reported posts over what seems (to me at least) a short period of time. Despite what he claims, this isn't personal. ToTTenTranz is a repeat offender. He posted something that was interpreted by (at least three) console mods as trolling. Perhaps it really wasn't trolling, but that doesn't matter. During silly season (especially during a conference) we have to err on the side of caution. We can't let discussions degrade while we have our normal "should we ban this user" conversation. Thus, I don't think giving ToTTenTranz a two week vacation was unreasonable under these circumstances.

Don't worry Mfa, you can continue being an ass. ;) ToTTenTranz's situation is unique to him (i.e. this thread being public is pointless).

You know how I know ToTTenTranz? Because he has like 10+ reported posts over what seems (to me at least) a short period of time.

10+ reports?!
Are those reports made from several users or reports made from one or two users that decided to mass report all my posts in the same thread, trying to get me banned, simply because expressing my opinion wasn't being convenient to them?
Would that matter?

ToTTenTranz is a repeat offender.

I might be lost in translation.. Could you please tell me what makes one a repeat offender?
It's not pleasant to know I have a stamp on my forehead.
Is there any way I can make that go away?

It has nothing to do with cliques.
(...)
Despite what he claims, this isn't personal.
(...)
Perhaps it really wasn't trolling, but that doesn't matter.
(...)
Don't worry Mfa, you can continue being an ass. ;) ToTTenTranz's situation is unique to him

Turns out it is personal.
You just said there's a duality of moderation terms between me and others.

I have lots of reports so suddenly it doesn't matter if I'm trolling or not, sarcasm becomes valid for getting infraction points and apparently even the simple fact of disagreeing with Silent_Buddha about a game's audience is enough to get a ban.

How is this not personal? It may not be about cliques, but it is personal. It just isn't coming from BRiT alone, apparently.

(i.e. this thread being public is pointless).
I agree.
I'd rather be having this conversation with the mods alone. I do know vBulletin allows for a user to start a thread that's viewable only by mods, so here's a suggestion to implement that.
I know you suggested taking care of this through PM, but when I got your PM I had already been told to post here and I had already written the post and was a click away from posting..
I have no idea on how the hierarchy is built in this forum so I apologize if I went over your position somehow.

Several users on several occasions. No you can't change your past. It's not personal (yes of course there's a duality between people who never cause trouble and people who have a known history). If you want to discuss this further, please pm AlexV.

The whole discussion just makes me think that people should only post when they have a meaningful contribution to make.
Stating an opinion isn't really meaningful, and mostly allowed in the RPSC forum.

The whole discussion just makes me think that people should only post when they have a meaningful contribution to make.
Stating an opinion isn't really meaningful, and mostly allowed in the RPSC forum.

With all due respect, that's not what a discussion forum is for.
What you seem to want is a news blog.

No, I want a forum discussing facts, not opinions or gossip...

Perhaps this is a translation mistake, but there's no such thing as discussion without opinion:
One element of conversation is discussion: sharing opinions on subjects that are thought of during the conversation.

Discussion without opinion would be nothing but a stream of statements presenting facts. You don't even need humans for that, a news bot would do the same. Likewise, you don't need a forum for that, a multi-author news blog would suffice.

Ironically, I just presented facts, and not an opinion on what a forum is or should be.

Gossip is a whole other subject and yes, I do agree gossip should be kept to a minimum in here. This forum's aggregated knowledge is too valuable to fall too deeply into gossip.

I'd be happy to continue this through PM, though.

Yeah this thread has long run its course. I think Roderic just means he longs for "higher quality" discussions.

I'd like to also clarify my previous post as it was trollish and unhelpful. I think ToTTenTranz you have inadvertently made a mountain out of a molehill. My phrase "repeat offender" was probably too strong of a term (although you don't have a shortage of reported posts) and I think made matters worse and more confusing. I simply meant you've been known to "butt heads" with other users. Combine this with silly season and it's a recipe for disaster. I understand why you might take it personally, but I can assure you no one here is out to get you. We just care about graphics and compute! I swear! :D

Luckily we only have to go through this drama once every eight years or so... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back