Brothers in Arms Exclusive PS3?

heavenlyglory said:
For me, it's not that it isn't impressive. It is impressive. Partcularly the explosion and the crate destruction..
Its just I see nothing about it that sets it apart from other war games visually. It literally looks like another COD to me.

All the upcoming 1st/2nd party stuff definitely looks better than this in my opinion.

Have you even played BIA? It's a completely different game than COD2, it's extremely tactical. The game is so realistic, it's been used by the discovery channel to re-enact historic battles. After Hell's highway will be the battle of the bulge! BIA4 is going to probably the grand finale.

BIA is all about tactics, the AI in this game is amazing, they will counter-flank your flanking manouvres, they will flank you, retreat, advance, it's like playing a real person...and that was in part 2! Now they've added mortor and rocket teams to your squads, on top of your fire and attack squads, which should make it absolutely insane out there. No doubt they've stepped up the AI as well which is almost scary.

Graphics looks great, this game is gonna be a AAA smash. Anyone who doesn't think that's impressive needs to get off the glue IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
Have you even played BIA?
When a person talks about whether a game being marketted impresses them or not, you can't expect them to have played the game. Heavenlyglory clarified his point with
Its just I see nothing about it that sets it apart from other war games visually. It literally looks like another COD to me
I can see where he's coming from. It's another FPS. It's another WW game. Maybe it plays a zillion times better than all other war games and FPS, but on the pics and movies, there's nothing there to differentiate it. Which there wouldn't be. A WW game is likely going to look like any other, same destroyed scenery and vehicle designs and uniforms, unless they go with a stylized renderer. At which point, how are screenshots and movies going to sell the product? I dunno, but in Heavenlyglory's and my case BIA hasn't managed to differentiate itself from the other games out there through this media. If someone shows me a pic from BIA or COD or the like, I wouldn't know which game it came from.

This game looks nice , very living in close ups but I must agree it does not look much better than COD2.

scooby_dooby said:
So you're saying you think that game even looks remotely close to COD2? Maybe you should get some glasses ;)

Scoob, it's not the jump from CoD2 that I would have expected

the screens make this game look much better so far than it really is IMO

it's early and reading Gearbox forums, I think the devs are questioning showing such early media actually.

Shifty Geezer said:
I can see where he's coming from. It's another FPS. It's another WW game. Maybe it plays a zillion times better than all other war games and FPS, but on the pics and movies, there's nothing there to differentiate it. Which there wouldn't be.

People say this about RPGs as well. And Nintendo games. If your not a fan of a genre it is easy to say, "Meh! More of the same!" Outside very distinctive titles, either in regards to art or significant technological leaps that are a big step in quality (e.g. when a game like Doom 3 or Half Life 2 were first shown), in general games are fairly hard to distinguish from graphics alone.

But looking at the short BiA3 trailer, there are some similarities with CoD2. WWII FPS (which I consider a sub-genre of FPS), similar combat and combat setting, nice particles, etc Of course the scripting, audio, the AI, squad focused gameplay and directing of your squads stick out. But if you are not a FPS player you may just gloss over these completely.

I think what we are seeing is that people are almost demanding "cinematics" to sell them on the game. See: 1995 and FMV. Cinematics and FMV are nice, but they don't tell us about the elements in the game you play and control (but they are effective marketing tools). Then again 40 seconds of game footage doesn't either. It is a LOSE-LOSE situation for developers, but it seems even among informed gamers they are more easily impressed/excited by the former than the later. And I think the pedulem is swinging that way. The reaction to BiA3 among some furthers that.

The only good ways to get a good handle on a game is long gameplay movies, hands on reviews and press coverage, or better yet demos and personal hands on testing. But few console gamers can do that latter.

But in general, most games wont stick out, in their respective genres, with 40 seconds of gameplay. As a non-RPG fan I would have a hard time distinguishing between many RPG franchises, and I know why people make these sort of statements about Nintendo games (when in regards to content and gameplay they could not be more wrong). All perspective. I would not expect a non-FPS fan to get too excited about minor refinements and evolutionary steps in a long standing/fully evolved genre. I don't own BiA/2 or CoD/2, but I have played them and can see the differences. Just depends what your eye is drawn to.

Anyhow, BiA3 if it has great AI like the first two should be very, very good.

Eh, I don't think being less impressed with this game has much to do with anyone being a non-FPS/war FPS fan.
Me personally, there is almost no FPS I haven't played (including world war x types).
I'm sure the gameplay will be solid as always, but thats not what my post was about (I'm not even going to go there about the Discovery Channel thing..).
My comments were strictly about how it looks visually.

And again, BIA looks really good for what it is. But I don't need my eyes checked and I'm not sniffing glue..
We are talking about a genre of FPS, that all have basically the same art style, same color palette, similar situations, effects, weapons etc..I'm not going to lie to myself and say its some huge jump in the genre visually. To me it literaly looks like a newer incarnation of the same old war(s) games with some very expected improvements (given the hardware).

Looks like I kinda expected (which is less than the screens they showed us before) but great nonetheless. Seems like the game still has that grayish look.

Plain and simple I didn't expect Lost Planet to look better than this game. If things don't shape up fast (graphically) then it will be Medal of Honor: Airborne for me this Holiday season. ;)

mckmas8808 said:
Plain and simple I didn't expect Lost Planet to look better than this game. If things don't shape up fast (graphically) then it will be Medal of Honor: Airborne for me this Holiday season. ;)

Take a look at the environments, character models, lighting, debris, exposion effects, smoke effects, destructable environments in Lost Planet again. This game looks far superior to Lost Planet.

scooby_dooby said:
Take a look at the environments, character models, lighting, debris, exposion effects, smoke effects, destructable environments in Lost Planet again. This game looks far superior to Lost Planet.

Yeah right.

Environments? Can't really compare. Too different. But if I had to then yeah I agree with you on this one.

Character models? I think they are about the same.

Lighting? Naw I think Lost Planet has better lighting.

Debris, Explosion effects, smoke effects? NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Destructable environments? Yeah BIA3 is better here so far.

Have you seen the latest Lost Planet video??:???:

Of course I've seen it, in 49 inches of HD goodness, BIA is way better, lighting is much more realistic, full physics on everything, better character models.

Screens:
BIA.jpg

Hi-Res here:
http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=438802

Im sorry mckmas8808, gotta disagree with ya here. BIA3 looks better than lost planet imo.
But honestly, they are two different styles that really shouldnt be compared. MOH:AA should be a better comparison, or another FPS WW2 shooter.

The new BIA3 HD video has got me wanting it pretty badly now. I love the strategic type gameplay the earlier versions had. I just hope they tweak the aiming.
Lair, Tekken 6, and BIA3 are now my top 3 games im looking forward to. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was more impressed by the overall visuals of Lost Planet (as a spectacle)

as has been said, they are two different styles.

Seeing these hi-res screens I now see a LOT of detail that GB has added to make this game look amazing (for the genre)

Not to mention this game is almost a year away.

Back