Brothers in Arms Exclusive PS3?

Mythos

Regular
According to gamesindustry.biz....

Ubisoft wages war on next-gen consoles

Paul Loughrey 11:58 19/04/2006

Brothers in Arms heading to PS3

Despite ending over sixty years ago, World War II continues to rage in the games industry, the latest assault coming from French publisher Ubisoft, who have snubbed the Xbox 360 for their latest combat game in favour of Sony's PlayStation 3.

Announced today for PC and PS3 - although the official announcement does not explicitly rule out a launch on other platforms - Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway is the third title in Ubisoft's multi-million selling, critically acclaimed WWII series from independent developers Gearbox Software.

Offering the same level of authenticity and historical accuracy that enabled the first two games to stand out from the crowd, the latest game will focus on Operation Market Garden - the largest airborne assault of the war.

Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software, commented: "With Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway, Gearbox is investing everything to take next-generation gaming to an entirely new level. The Unreal Engine 3 powers real next-generation graphics and the most intense, action-oriented recreation of true history ever offered as interactive entertainment."

Whilst the promise of "amazing graphics and sound, new cutting-edge gameplay features, and a completely redesigned online component" is certain to please fans of the series, the announcement is arguable more interesting for what it doesn't say - namely that the title will be appearing on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

While Microsoft continues to enjoy an unrivalled market lead in next generation hardware, it's the software that ultimately defines success or failure. Although there's nothing in the announcement to say that the new game won't ever be appearing on the Xbox 360, the fact that the title will debut this holiday season as one of the early launch titles for Sony's new machine may come as a bit of a blow to the Redmond-based giant.

It could be argued that Ubisoft is attempting to mirror the success of Activision's Call of Duty 2, which quickly became the best selling Xbox 360 launch title around the same time last year, but placing platform loyalty for such a high profile title at this stage will surely not go unnoticed.

Mythos said:
According to gamesindustry.biz....

Ubisoft wages war on next-gen consoles

Paul Loughrey 11:58 19/04/2006

Brothers in Arms heading to PS3

Despite ending over sixty years ago, World War II continues to rage in the games industry, the latest assault coming from French publisher Ubisoft, who have snubbed the Xbox 360 for their latest combat game in favour of Sony's PlayStation 3.

Announced today for PC and PS3 - although the official announcement does not explicitly rule out a launch on other platforms - Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway is the third title in Ubisoft's multi-million selling, critically acclaimed WWII series from independent developers Gearbox Software.

Offering the same level of authenticity and historical accuracy that enabled the first two games to stand out from the crowd, the latest game will focus on Operation Market Garden - the largest airborne assault of the war.

Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software, commented: "With Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway, Gearbox is investing everything to take next-generation gaming to an entirely new level. The Unreal Engine 3 powers real next-generation graphics and the most intense, action-oriented recreation of true history ever offered as interactive entertainment."

Whilst the promise of "amazing graphics and sound, new cutting-edge gameplay features, and a completely redesigned online component" is certain to please fans of the series, the announcement is arguable more interesting for what it doesn't say - namely that the title will be appearing on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

While Microsoft continues to enjoy an unrivalled market lead in next generation hardware, it's the software that ultimately defines success or failure. Although there's nothing in the announcement to say that the new game won't ever be appearing on the Xbox 360, the fact that the title will debut this holiday season as one of the early launch titles for Sony's new machine may come as a bit of a blow to the Redmond-based giant.

It could be argued that Ubisoft is attempting to mirror the success of Activision's Call of Duty 2, which quickly became the best selling Xbox 360 launch title around the same time last year, but placing platform loyalty for such a high profile title at this stage will surely not go unnoticed.

Randy Pitchford was on the OXM podcast this week talking about the 360 version for about 20 minutes. I also believe the 360 version is on the cover of the next OXM. I think this story is a quite a bit off...

http://www.oxmpodcast.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
GameIndustry.biz credibility - 10
wow... that is quite a mistake. :LOL:

especially considering the commentary and supposition at the end regarding why it is an exclusive. ;)

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/gearbox_interview_gdc2006/

Randy Pitchford: I have to say that I am really eager to talk about Brothers in Arms for the next generation, but have to take it slow until E3. I can tell you that what the team has been doing is just unbelievable - really... It's amazing what a real next-gen game can look like. What you need to do is to go out and buy the April issue of Official Xbox Magazine - it has a two page teaser about it. The May issue has a cover story - the screenshots should speak for themselves. BiA 3 shows how good real next gen can look.

...The 360 is a really exciting machine for us. I encourage any serious gamer to get one as soon as they can manage. I love mine with many of the titles that have already launched and I know there are some really amazing, truly next-gen games that won't be far off. I can personally vouch for the next-gen quality of Brothers in Arms 3, for example.

Tap In said:
wow... that is quite a mistake. :LOL:

especially considering the commentary and supposition at the end regarding why it is an exclusive. ;)

Ya these guys are so out of touch it's not even funny. I guess they didn't realize OXM had a 10 page spread that's been on newstands for weeks w/ developer interviews.

Gameindustry.biz isn't exactly a "really credible" source of information, I thought that most people knew that by now.

Two new internet pics!

bia318uc.jpg

bia324ta.jpg

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/6444/bia311wt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhh mckmaksmakmk8808 (that handle of yours is a bitch to write man :) I'd much rather see links to the actual article than to the pics directly, even tho the site is in a language unknown to 99.999% of the world's population.

xmu said:
Uhh mckmaksmakmk8808 (that handle of yours is a bitch to write man :) I'd much rather see links to the actual article than to the pics directly, even tho the site is in a language unknown to 99.999% of the world's population.

Okay you should be able to see the new screenshots now.
And here's the link to the actual article here

How do you like them? The dead kid looks amazing (as scary as that sounds :???: )

mckmas8808 said:
And to think it will be a PS3 launch window game. :oops:

A cross platform one available on the weak xbox 360. I don't think it will be very good for PS3's image to tell you the truth. They need some exclusives that show the superiority of the console.

What really is launch window at this point though. Nailing down the BR specs has caused the delay of the PS3 to November. If its only BR as Sony says then technically they would have launched in Spring, making their original launch window from June to July/August? That would put this game 4 months past that so i dont think its a worthwhile exercise to start dividing games up that way.

scooby_dooby said:
A cross platform one available on the weak xbox 360. I don't think it will be very good for PS3's image to tell you the truth. They need some exclusives that show the superiority of the console.

Err...what do you want them to do? Tell third parties not to make games available on 360?

Be realistic, multiplatform games are a common fixture. The likes of BIA3 will certainly be welcome on PS3, and it should be there within a month of launch. There will obviously be exclusives also like any system (not that third party games could never show a system's "superiority" either - but that's just a general note, not a BIA3 specific one).

expletive said:
If its only BR as Sony says then technically they would have launched in Spring, making their original launch window from June to July/August?

In Japan. I think the consensus for NA was always going to be Fall (at least for those that had their eyes open ;)).

Back