Black Myth: Wu Kong [PC, Consoles]

It wouldn't be that much of a surprise if they are using FG on console, if you look at the hardware unboxed results for GPU's at ~PS5's performance level, none of them come close to hitting 60fps on high settings at native 1080p.

And they can't do a locked 60fps, native 1080p at Medium settings either.

I doubt they'll use a flat Medium setting, so consoles could likely be a mix of high/medium at native 1080p, with FSR2 + 3 FG.

Pretty sure its using dynamic res to go sub 1080p and then it scale up to 1440p..

Maybe they think getting closer to 1080p with FG is better than 720p native.

Last edited:
I don't think it should be hard to see if PS5 is using frame gen. If the performance mode has around the same or higher input lag compared to the quality mode, than it's probably using frame gen.

Frame gen from 30 to 60 in a action game... If they are doing it that's just incompetence. Feels worse than just 30.

Nice 4-5% gain with Nvidia day 1 drivers:

image.png

- On a visual level, PS5 would be at a medium/high level compared to PC settings (Low - Medium - PS5 - High - Ultra - Cinematic). However, it presents some textures below the low PC level.

- PS5 performance mode abuses the sharpness effect of the resolution reconstruction a bit more.

- The resolution of the performance mode on PS5 can drop below 720p, but I still consider it the most recommended mode to play.- Black Myth Wukong is clearly a title that was intended with a great base PC, but the PS5 performance is solid despite the visual shortcomings.

Alright, I have played it enough on PS5 to have an opinion. It could be better, but it's not a bad experience. The quality mode is sharp enough, while the performance mode is a bit too artifacty, but nothing unbearable.

Nanite is used really well, and pop in on vegetation is hard to spot without looking for it. Shadows are good enough, and the effects are spectacular (especially the 3D fog at the start).

Input lag is really good, even in the 30 fps mode, which was surprising, and not that much different from the 60 fps mode. I struggle to believe that they are using frame generation.

Some negatives: big screen filling am effects drop frames (kind of expected).
I think they are using FSR instead of TSR, which is a bit upsetting, since they cost the same on PC.
Some textures are low res.
Stutters on camera cuts.

All in all, a new UE version would push it over the line, and become truly polished.

it has beaten the record of any single player game on Steam of peak players ever to date. And I'd say -though I am not entirely sure about this- that it has beaten the record of any game to date, single player or multiplayer. Tremendous.

Back