Black Myth: Wu Kong [PC, Consoles]

Cheers RobertR1
edit:
Is DLSS on ? and FG is on
can you do one with those both off

Felt like a console gamer watching this mess.

image.png

It seems a fair bit less significant than Alan wake, which was already a lot less significant than Cyberpunk.

Yes but those games didn't start with software RT /Lumen as a baseline. As @trinibwoy noted there are big differences in water and shadow quality while the materials and detail in that wall looked quite a bit better to me.

I think expectations in these days of significant diminishing returns need to be tempered a bit. The differences may be fairly subtle to a casual eye but the same can be said of the differences between Series S and Series X versions, or even PS4 and PS5 versions of cross gen games.

Beautiful and fun and buggy af. Hope they’ve got patches incoming.

Reviews look solid. There’s a fun, challenging, unique game underneath its pretty face. I wish some reviewers weren’t so hellbent on reviewing the game based on soulslike tropes though. Comparisons are fine but it’s not fair to evaluate a game based on a genre it doesn’t neatly fit into.

Yes but those games didn't start with software RT /Lumen as a baseline. As @trinibwoy noted there are big differences in water and shadow quality while the materials and detail in that wall looked quite a bit better to me.

I think expectations in these days of significant diminishing returns need to be tempered a bit. The differences may be fairly subtle to a casual eye but the same can be said of the differences between Series S and Series X versions, or even PS4 and PS5 versions of cross gen games.
I’m not convinced it’s just a matter of diminishing returns. It seems like Nvidia is getting more lax on marketing things as Full RT/PT. The performance differentials are very suspect for this being path tracing. We have also seen other UE5 examples where the Nvidia branch differs quite substantially from Lumen. The shadows and water here are a great refinement but the lighting is almost unchanged in most areas. I wouldn’t classify the improvement here as anything more than refinement. I think using the state of the consoles is a poor argument as we still haven't seen what the competent devs can do given proper development time while being free from older hardware.

Last edited:
C
I’m not convinced it’s just a matter of diminishing returns. It seems like Nvidia is getting more lax on marketing things as Full RT/PT. The performance differentials are very suspect for this being path tracing. We have also seen other UE5 examples where the Nvidia branch differs quite substantially from Lumen. The shadows and water here are a great refinement but the lighting is almost unchanged in most areas. I wouldn’t classify the improvement here as anything more than refinement. I think using the state of the consoles is a poor argument as we still haven't seen what the competent devs can do given proper development time while being free from older hardware.

What do you think is missing from the path traced visuals?

The rt doesn't change much it seems. Most visible on the reflections and shadows it seems.

Maybe deliberate design / art direction decision?

Back