Beyond: Two Souls

It was pretty much the only one of its kind (a fact I'm grateful for. I hated that part of the game personally)

I expected to hate it, because I did not want a "military - shooter" game but an adventure game, but it was very very well done. Also, proved the point that we were not missing anything in this format with reduced options as anyways paths and actions are preset in every other game too. Felt just like any other stealth mission from the recent Splinter Cells.

If we really didn't miss anything, then Splinter Cell had to be the worst stealth game ever. Either way, as laughable as I thought the big truck chase by the end of the chapter was (at this point Cage is really no better than the Call of Dutys of this world he so despises), the action wasn't what bothered me about that chapter. The writing was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just played through that chapter. Both writing and gameplay are pretty bad. My PS3 finally couldn't take anymore and just froze up.

Since is this close to the end I suppose it'll be downhill from here. The game did hold up very well until just a few chapters before this point.

If we really didn't miss anything, then Splinter Cell had to be the worst stealth game ever. Either way, as laughable as I thought the big truck chase by the end of the chapter was (at this point Cage is really no better than the Call of Dutys of this world he so despises), the action wasn't what bothered me about that chapter. The writing was.

I think the rest of the game has worse writing than this chapter :LOL: ! I liked the chapter a lot as it stayed in this world and let me use Aiden as a drone of splinter cell. There was no difference in this level or any level from the recent Splinter Cell.

I just played through that chapter. Both writing and gameplay are pretty bad. My PS3 finally couldn't take anymore and just froze up.

Since is this close to the end I suppose it'll be downhill from here. The game did hold up very well until just a few chapters before this point.

It does recover a little. No more
you made me kill the democratically elected president of Somalia
moments thank god.

Not much though.

I don't know what they are trying to say with that ending, and I don't really want to know.
And I certainly don't want a sequel.

I guess we have half a great game here. I would like to see more games like that first half. Seeing the credits roll by, and the hundreds of people that worked on the game, couldn't one of them just raise their hand up at some point and say how utter shit that second half was?

She's a CIA operative and not some low level army grunt. Am I really supposed to believe that she didn't know the first thing about her target? The news reporter on tv knew about it, so it couldn't have been particularly secretive.

As for standard video game tropes: this is a game driven almost entirely by its narrative. It shouldn't be allowed to get away with the same things a Call of Duty game would. (and Blops was never that stupid anyway)

And who says "democratically elected president"? I know Cage wanted to stress the fact that the target was in fact a good guy who came into power by the people's will, but still, no one talks like that. Besides, that information was already given away by the news caster a mere seconds earlier.

Oh that way. Yeah.

There are too many unexplained things which are just there because David cage wanted you to 'feel' something. It isn't an isolated incident. A lot of stuff doesn't tie in with his theories about the world of the game. I mean, u r allowed to create any fantasy but then you have to stay true to what you have told to the player. In a LOT of places, Beyond doesn't.

Edit: btw, u should spoilertag that for pplwho are yet to 'feel' that climax ;)

I'm actually okay with his particular brand of crazy, and who wouldn't wanna hear Willem Dafoe talk about nonsense like the "Infraworld" with a straight face. I also think Cage is pretty good at getting emotional responses. He's manipulative as hell for sure, but as long as it's effective I really don't care about whether the impactfulness was truly earned or not. Heck, Spielberg is the grand master of manipulation.
I think Cage just insn't particularly good at the grand stuff and exceptionally poor at laying out cohesive plot lines.
I thoroughly enjoyed almost all the chapters with Jody as a child, and the chapter homeless was probably his masterpiece.

I'm actually okay with his particular brand of crazy, and who wouldn't wanna hear Willem Dafoe talk about nonsense like the "Infraworld" with a straight face. I also think Cage is pretty good at getting emotional responses. He's manipulative as hell for sure, but as long as it's effective I really don't care about whether the impactfulness was truly earned or not. Heck, Spielberg is the grand master of manipulation.
I think Cage just insn't particularly good at the grand stuff and exceptionally poor at laying out cohesive plot lines.
I thoroughly enjoyed almost all the chapters with Jody as a child, and the chapter homeless was probably his masterpiece.

Yeah, I too think he hasn't really got that special touch and this particular story just feels ridiculous but I still love the game :love: and can't help recommending it to everyone. Its a weird thing where the flaws are gaping and right in ur face, but still the game is lovely and fantastic in the same stroke !

I really want more studios to tackle this "new" genre and tell some really human, really touching stories of relationships : father, son...grandparents and grandchildren...just the whole idea of being human, the idea of expressing emotions and forming bonds the way humans can do....I wish for a "Kiki's delivery service" in this format ! :smile:

I like it too. That particular chapter just left a sour taste in my mouth. Couldn't have been too hard to come up with a more plausible scenario for illustrating Jody's falling out with her employer. It's the CIA for fuck's sake. Shifty backstabbing fellas the lot of them.

Jodie didn't really seem like the smartest kid in the world.....

I liked the game but was disappointed about the lack of interactivity in places like the birthing scene...

BTW, what choice did you make in the end. I choose life and the native american guy.

I chose the homeless guys. None of the relationship choices seemed remotely believable. I think the fact that the game chickened out and made me pick an ending was a really dumb move on CD's behalf. That could have been the point where all the minute little things you did or did not do come back to bite you in the ass. I pretty much gave that Ryan prick the finger all throughout the game, so why can I still pick him as a love interest?

It's an old game, spoilers are expected.

No it's not, it came out only a few months ago and it doesn't even matter. Some people (such as me) have not played it, but will in the future. Just because you play games the same month they come out, doesn't mean everyone else does. Spoilers should never be 'expected', especially for a game (or film or whatever) that came out mere months ago, hardly years or decades. We're not talking about The Shining here, or Mary Poppins for god's sake.

I might come to this thread before having played the game to see if there's some sort of PS4 version that I will be perhaps be able to play. I shouldn't 'expect' to see spoilers on here.

Back