Beyond: Two Souls

patsu

Legend
Beyond: Two Souls – Cage unveils opus in Paris
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/21/beyond_two_souls_hands_on_david_cage/

Cage has done away with Quick Time Events, a mechanic which bore much of the weight in Heavy Rain. Beyond’s combat is based on a bullet time-type system controlled only with the right analogue stick. If someone’s swinging a baseball bat at you, you just move the stick in the appropriate direction to block it. Cage showed us a training sequence in which Jodie is sparring against a man in a gym. We didn’t get to test the combat in the play session, but, as with everything else in the game, it looks completely contextual.

Beyond’s engine is new. It isn’t based on Heavy Rain’s tech. Some elements are based on Quantic Dream’s PlayStation 4 word, so depth of field, for example, is improved over Heavy Rain.

I'm surprised they went with FPS twin sticks controls for controlling Aiden. One of the big advantages of all the QTE's was that the controls were accessible to anyone, even non-gamers. FPS controls aren't.

I do hope the new controls are more intuitive. The old QTE's had to be read and then responded to it, making it difficult to keep up and watch what's happening elsewhere on the screen at the same time.

I'm really looking forward to this game. It's nice a that developer is trying new things, even if they aren't always succeeding. Hopefully they'll tell a better story this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Heavy Rain but have to admit that I cringe at the thought of another QTE based movie game. This is great news indeed - I hope the responses do end up feeling as natural as planned.

Newest video of the game [fight sequence is obviousley unfinished, facial animation and sounds are not inserted yet]

Game looks awesome and it plays great [great minimalistic UI].

I'm surprised they went with FPS twin sticks controls for controlling Aiden. One of the big advantages of all the QTE's was that the controls were accessible to anyone, even non-gamers. FPS controls aren't.

I do hope the new controls are more intuitive. The old QTE's had to be read and then responded to it, making it difficult to keep up and watch what's happening elsewhere on the screen at the same time.

I'm really looking forward to this game. It's nice a that developer is trying new things, even if they aren't always succeeding. Hopefully they'll tell a better story this time.

Yap, would love to see Cage's next step in controller scheme.

Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls, and perhaps Jenova's games are the few titles that may be interesting with vitality sensors.

Newest video of the game [fight sequence is obviousley unfinished, facial animation and sounds are not inserted yet]

Game looks awesome and it plays great [great minimalistic UI].

Going to remain spoiler free for this game ! ^_^

yikes. The game looks so boring but its starting to become interesting halfway. and ended awesome.

btw there's some weird camera movement. Pre-loading? Canned cutscene?

I'm not feeling the graphics in this game. The lighting in particular is bad.
beyond3oul4.png

yikes. The game looks so boring but its starting to become interesting halfway. and ended awesome.

HeavyRain spent a fair bit of time building relationship with the player at the beginning. It's all boring tasks like setting the table, showering, playing with kids, buying balloon in the mall, etc. ^_^

btw there's some weird camera movement. Pre-loading? Canned cutscene?

I remember they are going to experiment with non-QTE actions in this game. So animation may be more controller driven this time round.

Don't want to spoil the game for myself, so I haven't really looked up the media.

Its still looks like QTE (button icons hovering on screen, as if the game are running inside a Virtual Reality).

But some QTE seems too vague. Hard to judge by just looking at video.

If they managed to make the QTE as responsive and as relevant as Asura's Wrath. Beyond will be a game that awesome to watch and to play.

Game looks really beautiful especially the DOF, lighting and character models. Can't believe it's running on a PS3 at times. The 35min gameplay sold me completely.

Game looks really beautiful especially the DOF, lighting and character models. Can't believe it's running on a PS3 at times. The 35min gameplay sold me completely.

yup, just lot of the background texture need work, looks super low res. But we had some older footage of different environment with very detail texture. The game is still work in progress, not out until Oct; still got time. Really hope there will be a PS4 version with physx like effects, that 35 mins gameplay seems like there are a lot of potential for those. and much better IQ.

You'd think that in a scripted scene they could make the rock he was sitting on out of more than a dozen polygons.

Yeah, RDR manages to look better in a open world engine. But I guess this game might hame hundreds of different environments and scenes, it´s hard to keep production values top-notch for each and every-one of them.

Yeah, RDR manages to look better in a open world engine. But I guess this game might hame hundreds of different environments and scenes, it´s hard to keep production values top-notch for each and every-one of them.

Yeah, stretching resources too thin.

or the focus for poly budget is too much on the main character. Final Fantasy XIII does something like that where the polygon budget are focused on characters head.

Back