Beyond: Two Souls

For those mega cheap skanks like us who never played the game on ps3, it's coming out next week on PS4 at a crazy low price with the usual graphical enhancements. Yay more time to spend at home while it's cold outside.

Never played it, I heard bad things though. Any first hand experiences?

All over the place story with good graphics. I think this remaster can stand up against many current generation titles visually.

The PS4 edition of the game features a number of improvements:
  • Enhanced 1080p graphics including motion blur, bloom and depth of field effects, as well as improved lighting and shadows. The game also makes use of the DualShock 4 speaker to improve immersion when playing as the Entity.
  • Decisions are highlighted at the end of each scene and compared with those made by other players.
  • Once you have completed Beyond: Two Souls, you will be able to replay the game in chronological order — a much requested feature in the PS3 version!
  • Increased difficulty in certain fight scene, combined with improved controls for action sequences.
  • Includes the “Enhanced Experiments” DLC

you will be able to replay the game in chronological order

Too bad the director's cut didn't make this the default. I hear this is the main issue, the disjointed story jumping through time.

Too bad the director's cut didn't make this the default. I hear this is the main issue, the disjointed story jumping through time.
The story was well presented, no issue there, in fact jumping around in time is what makes it interesting as a girl's story, its what happens in the story later that BS. That cannot be changed. How it was just a human story, focussing on a special girl in a normal world instead of the spectacle of the paranormal.

Higher difficulty is much needed ad appreciated. That was my main gripe, it was impossible to fail any scene so you never had an experience different from others. HR was better at that.

I found it quite appealing. It expanded the mystery around the main characters and the story unveils came at just right moments. That pacing would probably be totally changed with chronological storytelling [don't know for sure, I only experienced the original format].

Game was a real shit show. I rather liked it, though. It was proper trash. You know, the kinda trash that is oblivious to the fact it's trash. I'm afraid playing the chapters chronologically is not going to do the nonsensical plot any service.

The PS4 edition of the game features a number of improvements:
  • Enhanced 1080p graphics including motion blur, bloom and depth of field effects, as well as improved lighting and shadows. The game also makes use of the DualShock 4 speaker to improve immersion when playing as the Entity.
  • Decisions are highlighted at the end of each scene and compared with those made by other players.
  • Once you have completed Beyond: Two Souls, you will be able to replay the game in chronological order — a much requested feature in the PS3 version!
  • Increased difficulty in certain fight scene, combined with improved controls for action sequences.
  • Includes the “Enhanced Experiments” DLC
If the omission of 60fps really means a 30fps game then that would make this game the worst remastered Sony game on PS4. Similar to others moderately remastered games like GTA5 or Dishonored.

TLOUR, Uncharted trilogy, Tearaway, Journey, Gravity Rush, are all running 2x faster at 60fps, even God of War 3 got an improvement from fluctuating 30-60 to locked 60fps.

Some games have fixed framerate because some background systems are relying on that refresh timing. See PC ports of NFS Rivals, Dark Souls, etc, and efforts [and bugs] that arose with homebrew ways of increasing framerate.

And IMO, doubling of framerate is not a "must have requirement" for a remaster, especially for a non-action game.

Similar to others moderately remastered games like GTA5
Whoa. Let's not get crazy now. :D Rockstar did amazing job with enhancing oldgen version of GTA5. And I that was not a remaster anyway. It was port that came 1 year late. :)

Yeah playing 60fps just feels so cheap to me knowing you could have used the extra frames on pretty visuals, res or other things.

Quantic Dream's games wouldn't really benefit from 60 fps. Better spend the resources making them prettier.

Playing a cinematic videogame at 60fps doesn't make much sense...a locked 30fps plus vsync, triple buffering makes for a smoother experience.

One question I have without doing my own research...they mention using "bloom"...

The PS4 GPU can do HDR lighting and such a feature was introduced way back with the G80 and R600 GPUs as 128Bit HDR...isn't that better than bloom?

Or is bloom easier to implement or flip on as less taxing?

The list of enhancements sounds great however with Uncharted Collection enhancing textures should also become a standard.Then again the game looked great already.

Playing the scenes in chronological order as a bonus is ok but it's like reading a book or comic, graphic novel without flashbacks...

GTA V was technically a remaster, not a "port".

You just don't add enhanced textures, lighting and first person perspective view which dramatically changes the game. Not to mention additional draw distance and traffic cars/pedestrians. And lock the framerate.

PCs need a GPU much stronger than consoles just to reach locked 60fps...and that happened with GTA IV PC version...and GTA IV completely needs a "remaster" for consoles.

However GTA is also a cinematic videogame...until we see a real current gen GTA sequel we don't know what's possible but 30fps with a cornucopia of new effects makes more sense.

Beyond 2 Souls and Heavy Rain were big effects heavy cinematic games...besides ironing out any bugs and giving mission scene replays...all I could say is if only there were additional PS4 exclusive scene missions...that's overkill though.

The PS4 GPU can do HDR lighting and such a feature was introduced way back with the G80 and R600 GPUs as 128Bit HDR...isn't that better than bloom?

Bloom is just the effect of strong light bleeding out in the picture, a simulation of what happens on a camera lens. It can be done in LDR or HDR. HDR means the engine has a larger range of values to do their lighting math, it doesn't intrinsically imply the game uses Bloom, but its usually a given.

Just guessing here, but I'm pretty sure the amount of PS3 games which do not use bloom effects in some form or fashion is significantly smaller than the amount of those which do. It's about as basic a feature as they come. As Beyond's visuals were always heavily post-processed, I somewhat doubt there wasn't also a bit of Bloom in there somewhere.

Back