Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Not really a place for this and I don't think it needs its own thread, so since they also work for consoles this is as good a place as any.

Also, while I'd agree that Sony have always been more invested in the Living Room, there are periods where they took the office just as seriously. While they didn't really make it out of Japan, Sony were a major player in the PC Office space in Japan in the 80's and 90's. They also made and marketed premium PC monitors back when their Trinitron CRT tubes were superior to everything else WRT PC usage. Those Trinitron based displays were massively better than anything else available if you needed a high resolution CRT display due to how much better they were at displaying a clear and uniform image at higher resolutions compared to the competition. And while their PC interests petered out in the 2000's, they were still making pretty good PC devices up until then.

So, it's interesting to see that Sony might be attempting to get back into the premium PC monitor space.

Regards,
SB

The Sony M9 is really lackluster based on only 96 local dimming zones on a 4K display. Each zone is 86.4K pixels.

Not really a place for this and I don't think it needs its own thread, so since they also work for consoles this is as good a place as any.

Also, while I'd agree that Sony have always been more invested in the Living Room, there are periods where they took the office just as seriously. While they didn't really make it out of Japan, Sony were a major player in the PC Office space in Japan in the 80's and 90's. They also made and marketed premium PC monitors back when their Trinitron CRT tubes were superior to everything else WRT PC usage. Those Trinitron based displays were massively better than anything else available if you needed a high resolution CRT display due to how much better they were at displaying a clear and uniform image at higher resolutions compared to the competition. And while their PC interests petered out in the 2000's, they were still making pretty good PC devices up until then.

So, it's interesting to see that Sony might be attempting to get back into the premium PC monitor space.

Regards,
SB
I am reading the article and I dont understand how the put all the pieces together to conclude that the PS5 isnt enough because their cloud based service isnt up to he standard and that a PC monitor was some kind of solution to that :p

I am reading the article and I dont understand how the put all the pieces together to conclude that the PS5 isnt enough because their cloud based service isnt up to he standard and that a PC monitor was some kind of solution to that :p

It's a weird read, yeah a PC monitor is directly related to people paying games anywhere on Switch and SteamDeck. :???:

This monitor wasn't on my radar and now is. I'm in the market for a thinnish-profile 27" - 30" 4K HDR monitor with two HDMI 2.x ports, a full DisplayPort 1.4 connector and USB-C with at least 60w Power Delivery - it's unclear if the Sony's monitor has that last one. Or when it's coming out, or if it's any good.

The acer Nitro XV282K is top of my list at the moment, but if anybody has any recommendations I'd appreciate them.

The Sony M9 is really lackluster based on only 96 local dimming zones on a 4K display. Each zone is 86.4K pixels.
In PC monitor space it's much better than so called HDR displays which don't even have any local dimming (we have one of those). At the price (and it will go lower pretty soon) it's quite a good deal. But that's only because PC monitors are just dreadful unless you want to spent thousands.

In PC monitor space it's much better than so called HDR displays which don't even have any local dimming (we have one of those). At the price (and it will go lower pretty soon) it's quite a good deal. But that's only because PC monitors are just dreadful unless you want to spent thousands.

Exactly. The PC Monitor landscape is gawd awful. One can buy last year's LG C1 55 inch display for $1K, which is nearly the same price as 27" PC Monitors. It's highway robbery. Just because this mugger had slightly better manners shouldn't make it alright.

One of the reviews from when the M9 was announced:

It's basically saying that due to a combination of effects, they currently can't grow their PlayStation service if it relied only on PlayStation consoles. Basically, a reference to supply shortages which is resulting in the PS5 selling worse than the PS4.

If they were to leverage the PC space that greatly extends the reach of PlayStation services (games, streaming, etc.). One avenue to leverage that is to sell their games on PC. Another way would be to sell hardware devices targeting PCs which could also be used with a PS5 if a customer wanted to do that.

And while the monitors aren't tied to the PlayStation division (AFAIK), it is a way for another part of Sony to leverage the PC market with PS5 "themed" (color scheme and some design cues) monitors.

As a fan of 80's and 90's Trinitron PC displays, I hope they succeed with their latest PC display initiative.

Regards,
SB

Exactly. The PC Monitor landscape is gawd awful. One can buy last year's LG C1 55 inch display for $1K, which is nearly the same price as 27" PC Monitors. It's highway robbery. Just because this mugger had slightly better manners shouldn't make it alright.

Most PC displays are like Women's clothing. Makers charge more for them because they know the target market (PC gamers for monitors or women for women's clothing) will pay significantly more for worse quality. :p

It not like the days of CRT based monitors where it was actually far more costly to design a quality progressive scan PC monitor that had good picture uniformity, so yeah, outside of Studio Monitors or Reference Monitors most PC monitors don't live up to their high price compared to any OLED HDTV or even some LCD based HDTVs.

Regards,
SB

utside of Studio Monitors or Reference Monitors most PC monitors don't live up to their high price compared to any OLED HDTV or even some LCD based HDTVs.

and the strange thing with PC monitor, some brands (uh.. LG?) also sells "pre calibrated" models at the same price (or very similar) as their non pre calibrated model. usually the non pre calibrated model will have more "eye poking" styling

and the strange thing with PC monitor, some brands (uh.. LG?) also sells "pre calibrated" models at the same price (or very similar) as their non pre calibrated model. usually the non pre calibrated model will have more "eye poking" styling
Yeah. The style over substance (gamer styling) display tries to attract gamers who care more about what their gear looks like (MOAR LEDS!) than the color accuracy of their display. Pre-calibrated monitors go after substance over style people (color accuracy might be important for their work) who generally prefer more subdued styling cues (basically they don't generally want hardware that's visually shouting for attention).

Or kind of like female shoppers (looks and style are most important) versus male shoppers (utility and durability is usually most important).

Obviously those are generalizations as exceptions do exist, but they hold well enough that companies can rely on those generalizations in order to make a profit. Then those niche exceptions will generally be targeted by smaller specialized shops.

Regards,
SB

Let's shit on Samsung for a bit. The S95B, with 1302 firmware got a significant nerf to HDR Game mode along with HDR Movie Mode.

Let's go through Game mode first:
unknown.png

Instead of fixing the EOTF tracking with 1302.5 Samsung opted to give the worst of all worlds. You still get the same mid range bump. However, there is not a bump in the low end as well elevating near black in your games. Then you get an aggressive roll off at the top which means the highlights are less impactful. The real cherry is in the peaks. Instead of being able to burst upto 1500 nits at 3% window, you're now hard capped at 1050 or so at all times.

Let's move to Movie Mode. With 1211, FilmMaker mode was fixed to have EOTF track at every measurement instead of their select few which was them getting got cheating. FMM was nerfed in the peaks but you got a fair tradeoff. One very accurate mode that can be further calibrated to a very high standard. During this time, movie mode acted as a force DTM'd version of the FMM which could make HDR more viewable in the daytime in brighter rooms.

With 1302, MM (and standard) are copies off FMM but with different starting points. There's no DTM toggle in the menu. There never was but it was baked into MM. That's been removed. The only mode that bursts up to 1500nits still is Dynamic but that's useless for many reasons. The rest of the modes are capped at 1050nits with no DTM toggle.

Naturally there's been 0 communication or notes. In a vaccum, this doesn't impact me personally as mine won't see the internet and will remain on 1211 outside of an RMA. However, that doesn't excuse such shit behavior from a notoriously shitty company.

My rant is to say, if you do want a S95B, pick one up before all the factory models come with 1302 and you're nerfed from Day 1. Don't connect it to the internet and don't pray that Samsung will see the light and do right by consumers. History isn't on their side.

Let's shit on Samsung for a bit. The S95B, with 1302 firmware got a significant nerf to HDR Game mode along with HDR Movie Mode.

unknown.png

Instead of fixing the EOTF tracking with 1302.5 Samsung opted to give the worst of all worlds. You still get the same mid range bump. However, there is not a bump in the low end as well elevating near black in your games. Then you get an aggressive roll off at the top which means the highlights are less impactful. The real cherry is in the peaks. Instead of being able to burst upto 1500 nits at 3% window, you're now hard capped at 1050 or so at all times.

Let's move to Movie Mode. With 1211, FilmMaker mode was fixed to have EOTF track at every measurement instead of their select few which was them getting got cheating. FMM was nerfed in the peaks but you got a fair tradeoff. One very accurate mode that can be further calibrated to a very high standard. During this time, movie mode acted as a force DTM'd version of the FMM which could make HDR more viewable in the daytime in brighter rooms.

With 1302, MM (and standard) are copies off FMM but with different starting points. There's no DTM toggle in the menu. There never was but it was baked into MM. That's been removed. The only mode that bursts up to 1500nits still is Dynamic but that's useless for many reasons. The rest of the modes are capped at 1050nits with no DTM toggle.

Naturally there's been 0 communication or notes. In a vaccum, this doesn't impact me personally as mine won't see the internet and will remain on 1211 outside of an RMA. However, that doesn't excuse such shit behavior from a notoriously shitty company.

My rant is to say, if you do want a S95B, pick one up before all the factory models come with 1302 and you're nerfed from Day 1. Don't connect it to the internet and don't pray that Samsung will see the light and do right by consumers. History isn't on their side.

This is very Samsung. From boosting android phones when in benchmark, and now boosting TV in initial release so good reviews.

I guess "bullshots" are everywhere now.

Hmmm, I wonder if them lowering max brightness is perhaps due to them discovering that some panels are starting to exhibit burn-in? Perhaps with customers who have left their sets on pathologically bad TV content?

Regards,
SB

unknown.png

Samsung are literally the worst.

Hmmm, I wonder if them lowering max brightness is perhaps due to them discovering that some panels are starting to exhibit burn-in? Perhaps with customers who have left their sets on pathologically bad TV content?

Regards,
SB

Given that dynamic mode is the worst for accelerated ageing, theory doesn’t hold up.

We are also talking 1% to 3% highlights which aren’t going to do much for burn in but def can make HDR pop for content that exceeds 1000nits

Last edited:

Sony needs to get a bit more realistic with their street price and actually get the units out.
What is really weird is that in some countries, such as the UK of all places, the difference in price between the two TVs isn't really that much, and definitely justifies getting the Sony - in my eyes of course, based on how I will use the TV and mostly based on the absence of ABSL. In other (most?) countries the price difference is huge.

Back