Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR TV for Consoles [2022]

Yeah, I got mine for that much in UK lol That's what I was trying to infer earlier by Sony's street price. Without soundbar it's 2239. Thus it's a bridge too far.

Yeah, in the US for 65" sets, the Sony QD-Oled is 2x the cost of the LG C2. The LG had sales last weekend for $2K exactly and Sony around $4K.

That's mental!
Yes indeed. It's bonkers. It guarantees the Sony product never making the consideration list. The cost breakdown requires holding onto the Sony set for 2x the time. After having held onto my Plasma 1080p set forever, I'd much rather upgrade new display more frequently for the same overall cost than going top end once.

If I opt for last years set, I could get a LG 2021 set now for $1700 and then a LG 2025 set in 2026 to last until 2030 for probably $500-$600 less than the 2022 Sony QD-Oled being kept until 2030. That's using 8 years with an upgrade after 4 years. The same applies if using 6 years with upgrade every 3.

So Vincent likes the Sony A95K the best but not for gaming.

Still it's first gen tech and the application processor on the Sony is weak.

So Vincent likes the Sony A95K the best but not for gaming.

Still it's first gen tech and the application processor on the Sony is weak.

Yeah, if I was only going to use the TV for watching movies and shows then the A95K would, without question be the best choice if you can afford it.

For PC and gaming, however, I'd go with an LG set or a set with an LG panel. But that said, I'd imagine that most people that could afford the Sony A95K would likely be just fine with how it performs in games. I mean it's going to be a huge upgrade compared to the LCDs that many might be moving up from.

Still as you say, it's Samsungs "1st gen" (ignoring their previous efforts from years ago), so I'm interested to see what they do with their 2nd gen panels as well as what Sony does with their 2nd gen Samsung panel sets.

Regards,
SB

So I'm wanting super bad to upgrade my 65" to a 75".

Actually leaning to the TCL S546. It's a VA panel. Low to mid range price, the 75" goes on sale for $800 regularly. Depending on review seems to hit 500-700 nits. Has good contrast, color gamut, and 60 local dimming zones. In some ways a step back from my 2018 6 series (that hits 1000 nits, and 120 dimming zones IIRC, but less native contrast). This TV does not have any 120hz support, which does hurt me as a gamer, but if I'm being honest, how many games support 120hz or are going to in this gen? Morseo, am I really good enough at my advanced age that it's going to affect my play in the few games that even use it? Is it worth $500 or more dollars? (nearest HDMI 2.1 set I'd look at would be the $1300 TCL 646).

I kinda think this would be a gap TV, it seems like OLED prices are dropping fast and anti burn in tech getting better, Mini LED and Micro LED also getting better and better....I just want 75" now to watch Top Gun Maverick on when it hits streaming!

Thinking....not going to pull the trigger just yet, still need to amass funds!

Any word on any very compelling, ~$1000-1200 75" sets coming down the pike? From what googling I've done seems there no real word on the next years models from TCL, Hisense etc.

I've also considered for example settling on a less expensive 48"-65" OLED. Anything smaller than 65" I'd have to put in a different room, it's just too small for my living room which I sit 12 feet away. (I'm sure everybody will recommend that, but I dont think I will go for it), or maybe getting the 546 soon, and a 165hz PC monitor later and trying out 120 hz Xbox gameplay on the monitor (but then I figure the cost starts getting to where I should just spent 1300- on the 646 to begin with!). But OTOH with the latter strategy I also get a new PC monitor (which I am not particularly jonesing for unlike the TV).

Moved into a new house and looking at getting my first 4k TV for movies and some gaming, mostly movie/tv streaming viewing though. I'd like to get an OLED but I was looking around $1200 budget for a 55". Looks like it is a possibility but a lower end model that might not be amazing for gaming but I'm primarily a PC gamer anyway. It looks like the LG B2 might be right around my budget though?

Moved into a new house and looking at getting my first 4k TV for movies and some gaming, mostly movie/tv streaming viewing though. I'd like to get an OLED but I was looking around $1200 budget for a 55". Looks like it is a possibility but a lower end model that might not be amazing for gaming but I'm primarily a PC gamer anyway. It looks like the LG B2 might be right around my budget though?

For gaming it should be fine. The C2 will have a more powerful processor (so it supports more advanced processing for media, but that comes at an increased latency cost anyway) as well as the brighter EVO OLED panel.

So basically for gaming, the only real difference assuming you stick to Game mode (low latency) + PC mode (4:4:4 chroma) will be max brightness.

For media playback, if you enable various TV processing modes, then the C2 will be able to do a better job at those things. And menu navigation in the TV OS will be "snappier" with the C2.

Regards,
SB

You should be able to find a deal on a LG C1 55" for around that price. There were a few deals last month for $1000 at MicroCenter, but i believe they cleared out. I think BestBuy might still have some left around $1100, but its going to depend on your area.

Yeah the LG C1 if you can find it for a good deal would likely be better than the B2 since they basically have the same OLED Panel with the C1 having a more powerful processor.

Regards,
SB

I don't think the processor is very relevant to me if I'm using a Shield for all my streaming and playback, right?

I don't think the processor is very relevant to me if I'm using a Shield for all my streaming and playback, right?
Partly true.

Yes faster SOC in the TV will make built in apps and UI run better.

But SOC also does picture processing, like upscaling, motion processing, HDR.

Also affects things like HDMI ports, like how many high bandwidth (40 Gbps) HDMI 2.1 ports you can have.

like how many high bandwidth (40 Gbps) HDMI 2.1 ports you can have.

Like how lg c9 able to have full 48gbps hdmi port while all newer lg TVs are downgraded to 40gbps.

But the most annoying thing is that LG removed DTS support starting with CX. And they didn't even bothered to add a user purchasable license on the LG content store

I’ve had my A95K for a couple of days now and well, what’s there to say. Glorious. It’s as close to perfect as you can get, and even gaming-wise it’s perfect for someone like me who only plays on one console.

Horizon in 120Hz mode - and also the 40Hz mode - is just amazing.

But to me the image quality and absolutely zero dimming even while gaming with static elements on screen are the two biggest advantages over anything else out right now.

To my eyes it’s even a fair bit brighter than the ZD9 it replaced, and that TV was very, very bright.

Last edited:
Back