Best HDMI 2.1 4K+ HDR AVR (Audio Video Receivers) for Consoles [2020]

Like you, I hope by now they have all HDMI ports supporting full functionality of 2.1, but want a step further where even though most devices look to be running 40 Gbps I'd like to see 48 Gbps support. Or has 48 Gbps truly died?
I haven't looked into it enough but I don't think we'll start seeing 48Gbps HDMI ports until we get some 12-bit panels.

They now have an 8K version of The ShArc Audio Converter. This next year I may simply pick up a ShArc and stick with my current AVR instead. It's listed at $228.

With this setup, you connect your client components directly to the HDMI 2.1 TV and use the TV's eArc feed connected to the ShArc that's connected to the AVR. This will give you the best audio the AVR can handle (provided the TV eArc supports it). Think of it as fully adding eArc capability to your older AVR.

Here's the initial page in why this is required: https://www.thenaudio.com/2020/09/29/state-of-the-earc/

I have a Sharc and it does not work with my setup (Sony XH90/Marantz receiver).

I remember you getting one and saying it did not work. What in particular did not work? Is it just that the Sony TV doesn't really support eArc at all?

I've scoured a few different forums and reddit threads where folks have had success with LG CX/C1 and ShArc for their non-eArc AVRs. Though the LG TVs have their own quirks and don't support DTS protocols through eArc, but that is something that happens even if the AVR was brand new with eArc direct support.

In the long run, eArc support is still a cluster and it's easier to spend the $800+ on a new AVR and run that as the master input device.

I wonder why there's no generic Chinese knock off of that yet. There's a ton for the usual arc/Dolby splitter thingy. But none for earc

I remember you getting one and saying it did not work. What in particular did not work? Is it just that the Sony TV doesn't really support eArc at all?

It just does not work (for me). It might be a setup problem as well, I am not motivated to spend more time investigating anymore.

It just does not work (for me). It might be a setup problem as well, I am not motivated to spend more time investigating anymore.

I've used a Feintech VAX01202 HDMI eARC extractor with my LG C1. They have 2 modes so you need to use the right one and simply enable eARC output on the TV.

Afaik all they do is merge empty/black video frames with the eARC stream so older AV Receivers don't get confused. Worked instantly with my Pioneer LX86. Unfortunately that AV was already on life support due some chip soldering issues.

I've used a Feintech VAX01202 HDMI eARC extractor with my LG C1. They have 2 modes so you need to use the right one and simply enable eARC output on the TV.

Afaik all they do is merge empty/black video frames with the eARC stream so older AV Receivers don't get confused. Worked instantly with my Pioneer LX86. Unfortunately that AV was already on life support due some chip soldering issues.

Whoa there's also already Chinese version from aliexpress. But unfortunately still priced at the same price as non Chinese brand.

This thing gonna be a pretty neat device once its price goes down half

Back