Auto-HDR preview for PC [2021-03-17]

Discussion in 'Rendering Technology and APIs' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

SKYRIM

The sky, bluer, and the clouds, more real with more intense brightness and contrasts.

[​IMG]

Idem.

[​IMG]

The clouds behind the Dragon Alduin, with more intense glitters and colors on the right.

[​IMG]

The brightness and meteors of chaos, much more intense with HDR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonus, Hollow Knight. Better lit background, shinier, also the letters.

[​IMG]

PSman1700, pjbliverpool and Kaotik like this.
  2. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition

Better lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof of the building at the bottom center, much more intense sand-like color in the part with HDR on -right-. Clouds too.

[​IMG]

Age of Empires 2

Barracks on the right, wood has a much more intense colour. Ground "patches" also differentiate A LOT, colour wise.

[​IMG]

The dirt areas on the road again, much more intense in colour.

[​IMG]

Tents, more vibrant colour, green and white flags and other stuff. Dirt patches on the road, etc.

[​IMG]

#22 Cyan, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    PSman1700, Malo and pjbliverpool like this.
  3. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

RESIDENT EVIL 7

Left -HDR off-, right -HDR on-. RE7 has native HDR, but for some reason is not enabled on the gp pc version. Still the original HDR implementation doesnt seem that great

[​IMG]

Fuse and green light.

[​IMG]

Microwave.

[​IMG]

Copper red intensity.

[​IMG]

PSman1700, Malo, Krteq and 1 other person like this.
  4. Davros

Legend

According to this video :
    auto HDR causes problems with realtek network chips unless you have the latest drivers,
    also hdr only seems to work at 60hz or 120hz if you try 144hz it lock your games to 60hz
    forward to the 2:20 mark

Cyan likes this.
  5. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

very interesting. Saying it's like going from 2D to 3D might be a bit of a stretch, but other than that...

While maybe it's not like going from 2D to 3D, my best friend has a great 60" HDR 1000 TV and it has HDR disabled on the Xbox Series S. I showed him my HDR monitor and told him to enable it.

He did and he called me, he was speechless with the image quality! And that's using a Xbox One S, which is subpar in all regards. So...go figure.

I was experiencing internet issues, and followed the guy's advice to download new drivers and it worked.

#25 Cyan, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

the gods (or digital fraud, depending on which console war side you are on and their analysis favour your biggest rival) of DF mentioned SpecialK time ago. I remember trying it, but I mostly play gamepass PC games and it wasn't suitable for me at the time.

However, SpecialK is now compatible with gamepass PC games, even the new Nier Automata from gamepass PC, using global injection.

A very simple step by step and super short guide as to how to install it. Only 7 brief steps (remember to create a Global folder under the SpecialK subfolder, 'cos this is where the whitelist.ini file will be when you add the NierAutomataPC line)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...dr-and-ui-textures-upscaled-4k.395863/page-11

7. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

DF video on SpecialK, the Auto HDR mod for PC which has been out for some time.

pjbliverpool likes this.