Batman: Arkham City [MultiPlatform]

There are light shafts. I haven't seen evidence of them utilizing the more advanced motion blur skinning that Epic implemented, though from what I understand, their GPU iteration is too slow on RSX, and they haven't bothered with an SPU one. That said, I don't know if Rocksteady even uses the simpler rigid motion blur.

I believe there's a bit of motion blur in some of Batman's moves - almost unnoticeable and nowhere near Gears .

Get ready to pay for all the content that didn't come with your pre-order. I got the Robin pre-order at Best Buy. Looks like it was the better deal. Unfortunately I don't think any of alternate costumes work in the single-player. Anybody know for sure?

Tommy McClain

http://kotaku.com/5852498/a-guide-to-batmans-arkham-city-wardrobe/gallery/1

By our count, there are 14 alternate costumes or characters you may play as in Batman: Arkham City, through a variety of promotions, pre-order bonuses, and timed-exclusive downloadable content available now. The "good" news, I suppose, is that all of this stuff will be available at some point—for a price.
So if you're intent on collecting Batman's entire wardrobe, don't run out and buy the NOS energy drink, the Green Lantern DVD, and two copies of the game, one from Best Buy and the other from GameStop. Unless, of course, you really want to.

Of course, the bad news is that all of this stuff will be available at a price. Specifically, $5 will get you the Skins Pack on Dec. 6; $7 gets you Nightwing on Nov. 1; and another $7 gets you Robin's DLC on Nov. 22. Catwoman is included with new copies of the game, and GameStop is even giving out Catwoman DLC codes for used copies. Otherwise it's $10, sort of like an Online Pass.

There was also a pre-order bonus that did not include any skins. The Joker's Carnival, a challenge map, was offered by GameStop (U.S.) and Tesco (U.K.) No word on its availability otherwise. The Iceberg Lounge challenge map was included in the $99 Collector's Edition. No word on its future availability.

xlarge_1batmanskins.jpg

xlarge_batskinsfinal1.jpg

catwomanskins.jpg

xlarge_robinskins.jpg

xlarge_nightwingconcept.png

I believe there's a bit of motion blur in some of Batman's moves - almost unnoticeable and nowhere near Gears .

hm... yeah, got some shots of it. Definitely subtle. Probably just so that it doesn't get too distracting during combat.

The only skin I'd be willing (begrudgingly so, but still) to pay for would be a Batman skin from the Nolan movies (partciularly the one from The Dark Knight. Love the more practical design philosophy behind those movies. I'm especially fond of the flexible neck portion). Does such a thing exist?

A+. This is near to as perfect as an action adventure game can get for me.

The previous one had one thing that bugged me...where you often had to walk around in batman vision to look for clues, which means missing out on the graphics. It wasn't as bad as having to play in black&white 80% of the time like in the last Splinter Cell game...but still annoying. Does the new one still do that?

Yes. Except for the parts where you play as Catwoman. Then you have to walk around in Catvision ;)

To be fair, you don't need to do it quite as much as in the first game. Maybe that's down to the slightly more 'open-world' nature where much of the fun is had from traversing the city. But when you get to key points, it's advised to use the vision thing to scope out the badguys, etc.

The previous one had one thing that bugged me...where you often had to walk around in batman vision to look for clues, which means missing out on the graphics. It wasn't as bad as having to play in black&white 80% of the time like in the last Splinter Cell game...but still annoying. Does the new one still do that?

I don't think I spent anywhere near as much time in the special vision modes. I did use it. I think being able to use the vision to mark riddler trophies on your map is a big help in that regard. You don't have to spend so much time rediscovering trophies you couldn't access at first because you were missing the appropriate gadget.

I also think the complexity of the map actually forces you to NOT use the vision all the time. In the vision mode you can see enemies, but it's hard to see their line of sight from walls, obstacles or other geometry. So you have to switch back and forth to see their position and then see if you're hidden, or find a covered route.

The navigation waypoint system doesn't guide you in Detective mode. So in order to get from point A to point B you have to turn off Detective mode. So I'll also agree you're not using the Detective mode as much as in the first game.

BTW, there's no Batman Begins or Dark Knight skins, but that would be cool, but considerin EA had the movie rights to the games I wouldn't hold my breath ever seeing it. The closest you could see it would be modders doing it on the PC.

Tommy McClain

Still does hinder your ability to appreciate the world, but not like the first game as Scott said.

That's kind of a huge spoiler, even the picture.
Anyways the game's story is......unexpected, so many things that you normally wont expect it to have.

Wo.....ooooW !!!!!! :oops: The graphics and art seems stellar here !

I thought this was far and away the weakest looking part of the game to be honest. Looks flat, boring and rather poorly lit, like they really took the engine way out of its comfort zone. I think the visuals easily are at their best when you are zipping across rooftops. Locations like the Museum or the Subway look absolutely magnificent as well. Good thing then that 95% of the game takes place in places just like that.

Beaten the PS3 version yesterday. Still haven't noticed any screen tearing (I'm sure it's there, but it's so hard to notice it can only be deemed as irrelevant as far as I'm concerned). It's a slick looking game and, the occasional streaming judder aside, moves silky smooth.

Awesome ending, by the way. Unfortnately the main storyline is quite short. That's my only gripe with the game. It's packed with additional content, and some of it is actually very well done, but I'd have gladly sacrificed a whole bunch of the riddler stuff for a slightly meatier campaign.

I played a bunch of this game.

Having been a long time since I played AA and having started AC on hard, I was initially almost defeated by the enormously harder difficulty relative to AA. It seriously took me an hour to get past the courthouse bit. Soon after, I got a couple levels though and once I had a couple armor upgrades, critical strikes, and the thing where you can use special moves at 5x the difficulty dropped dramatically to the point that the hard fights are a challenge, but I can usually just blow the cannon fodder away.

Really enjoying it so far. I'll probably play more this weekend.

For anyone who ordered from Best Buy, does the Robin DLC include gameplay changes? It wasn't clear to me how it all worked.

Honestly, the pre-order bonus crap in this game is one of the most sickening piles of garbage I have ever had to deal with in a game. If the core game weren't so good, I would probably have not bought it just on principal on how huge of a dick move the entire thing was. I really hope the publishers don't take good sales of AC to be a validation of this sort of crap. There's really no excuse for such blatantly anti-consumer behavior.

Back