B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

Heh, it actually took me a few seconds to figure out what the missing shadows were. The difference in filtering was most glaring considering how much screenspace it took. Next was the actual texture filtering in the back.

What's also apparent is that the brick's shadow is pretty wrong in how it's connected to the brick.

Also notice the hand model supporting the gun. Are my eyes deceiving me or does the ps3 look like a generation ahead of what's found on the 360?

http://h-2.abload.de/img/vsslot.gif
A gif comparison from Gaf. It's interesting to see the ps3 version has better AF and more Bloom effect, bricks also cast shadows. The HUD has that glow effect where the 360's is missing. Also Nebula has already pointed out the distant DOF and scope flare in the ps3 version. The black crush is very strong in 360's version which is loosing fair bit of detail. The resolution difference is slight but can be noticed in direct comparison like this. Also I agree the sun shaft is more prominent or maybe has more precision in the ps3 version. Overall ps3 version is a bit too blurry for my liking.

Also notice the hand model supporting the gun. Are my eyes deceiving me or does the ps3 look like a generation ahead of what's found on the 360?

Time to get your eyes checked bro.;)

Did the same thing 3 weeks ago never knew how much details i missed without lenses

That's just a dead player and their weapon.

Ah, OK, I see it now. :D I was sitting there for quite a while trying to figure out WTF that was. :p

Either way, I get the feeling that some of the differences are just due to different builds of the game and not due to different console versions. One version is likely an earlier build of the game than the other, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Ah, OK, I see it now. :D I was sitting there for quite a while trying to figure out WTF that was. :p

Either way, I get the feeling that some of the differences are just due to different builds of the game and not due to different console versions. One version is likely an earlier build of the game than the other, IMO.

Regards,
SB

Yeah i believe a dev said something about the 360 being a patched up alpha version and the ps 3 being retail code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5yoZDI2akM&feature=player_detailpage#t=157s

Time to get your eyes checked bro.;)

Did the same thing 3 weeks ago never knew how much details i missed without lenses

This I assume is a PC representation of that model.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4038/crysis2qw.png

Given the hud this seems to be a clearer representation of that model on the 360.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/crysis 2 beyond3d/FrozenVapor/Crysis216.jpg

Comparing the PS3 model even though its a different color it is detailed and structurally similar when looking at the metal attachments on thumb compared to the PC model. When comparing to the 360 model of that pic some of that detail is lost. Now add the difference between the lighting and shadowing on the model and the difference seems pretty glaring to me.

And this is from the "compare the pics" analysis point of view we tend to do here on B3D and not what your average gamer would even attempt to discern.

I am not assuming that this is due to the 360 because it may be difference in the amount of work put into each model. Looking at the clearer 360 pic and the comparsion 360 pic there seems to a step up in visual quality everywhere except the hand and gun model.

Last edited by a moderator:
A gif comparison from Gaf. It's interesting to see the ps3 version has better AF and more Bloom effect, bricks also cast shadows. The HUD has that glow effect where the 360's is missing. Also Nebula has already pointed out the distant DOF and scope flare in the ps3 version. The black crush is very strong in 360's version which is loosing fair bit of detail. The resolution difference is slight but can be noticed in direct comparison like this. Also I agree the sun shaft is more prominent or maybe has more precision in the ps3 version. Overall ps3 version is a bit too blurry for my liking.

True. However, I see some particle effects missing in the PS3 shot (splashes from the water fountain). Man I can't wait for DF to dig into it :D

What settings are there in the PC screenshots? They look worse than the 360 pics too

Really? I guess the differences in lighting can be considered a preference for the first shot but the second shot just looks flat out better on the PC. Exactly what part of it do you think looks better in on the 360?

True. However, I see some particle effects missing in the PS3 shot (splashes from the water fountain). Man I can't wait for DF to dig into it :D
The splash effect is in motion so they may not appear for a split second depends on the time you capture it, however in another video comparison the water droplets in the bathroom were completely missing in the 360 version for some reason.

Really? I guess the differences in lighting can be considered a preference for the first shot but the second shot just looks flat out better on the PC. Exactly what part of it do you think looks better in on the 360?

Ok I am not sure what I am looking at now. When I posted that comment I viewed it from a different monitor. Now I looked at it again from my laptop and it doesnt look as bad as I initially observed it. The PC version looks good. But I think it looks kind of blurry with a bit washed out look

Ok I am not sure what I am looking at now. When I posted that comment I viewed it from a different monitor. Now I looked at it again from my laptop and it doesnt look as bad as I initially observed it. The PC version looks good. But I think it looks kind of blurry with a bit washed out look

I realised I was talking about different pics to you. It was these I was referring to when I said the second one looks clearly better on PC:

In ultragpu's GIF, does anyone notice that the ps3 version has slightly sharper textures on the gun (the backside of it, or the hilt - not very familiar with gun terminology). The part where there are two circle/nail like things is where it is most noticeable. I found this a bit weird because things like this are usually in favor of the 360. In Call of Duty for example, the 360 version have very slightly higher textures on the guns in comparison to the ps3 version (although i've only noticed it on modern warfare 2).

I don't see how people are complaining on ps3's IQ, I don't see 360's as any better. Both are sub-HD so both look less sharp to me. Sort of like black ops, the 360 has a resolution advantage but both are sub-HD so both look blurry anyway. I prefer the ps3 because of the added bling shown, but the 360 does have the better frame-rate. Why not just town down that "bling" and keep it in 360 level, it will probably help with the framerate somewhat.

Back