B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

I think that a lot of people that were complaining, this was the first time they played C2 and were underwhelmed. Others have played it on 360 and the proper gamma on the PS3 version probably made it less punchy and more washed out, when in reality, everything is pretty similar (each version has little things that are better than the other). All 3 versions actually look pretty similar (if the 360s gamma wasn't messed up).

One area that seems to be noticeably better, is the 360 version seems to run smoother. I really hope that Crytek can improve on the framerate. It's not unplayable, but it's not very good on PS3.

I feel like the IQ would be bad even if it was 1280x720, if only because it has so much sub-pixel detail that just isn't being anti-aliased at all.

In ultragpu's GIF, does anyone notice that the ps3 version has slightly sharper textures on the gun (the backside of it, or the hilt - not very familiar with gun terminology). The part where there are two circle/nail like things is where it is most noticeable. I found this a bit weird because things like this are usually in favor of the 360. In Call of Duty for example, the 360 version have very slightly higher textures on the guns in comparison to the ps3 version (although i've only noticed it on modern warfare 2).

I don't see how people are complaining on ps3's IQ, I don't see 360's as any better. Both are sub-HD so both look less sharp to me. Sort of like black ops, the 360 has a resolution advantage but both are sub-HD so both look blurry anyway. I prefer the ps3 because of the added bling shown, but the 360 does have the better frame-rate. Why not just town down that "bling" and keep it in 360 level, it will probably help with the framerate somewhat.

Considering you're also comparing an earlier build of the game to a later build of the game, comparisons between consoles are meaningless at the moment.

So it's sort of more interesting as a comparison of different builds (snapshots in developement time) of the game.

Wait for retail release for more accurate comparisons on potential differences between the consoles. Which with people appearing to be receiving the game quite early (not to mention the pirated versions /sigh) shouldn't be long now.

Regards,
SB

posts merged from Console Tech. This is NOT an invitation to start up shit just because it's out of that particular forum.

In ultragpu's GIF, does anyone notice that the ps3 version has slightly sharper textures on the gun (the backside of it, or the hilt - not very familiar with gun terminology).

The captures are pretty crappy, but I was thinking that's down to the DOF implementation. The bottom of the PS3 viewweapon is similarly blurry. At any rate, the console demo comparisons at this point seem a bit pointless in light of the admission that both 360 demos are old builds.

The captures are pretty crappy, but I was thinking that's down to the DOF implementation. The bottom of the PS3 viewweapon is similarly blurry. At any rate, the console demo comparisons at this point seem a bit pointless in light of the admission that both 360 demos are old builds.

I think the 360 demo used a hand and gun model from the alpha build that used lower res textures.

[360, PS3] Crysis 2

PS3 footage looked fine to me I guess. Other than the resolution deficit there may be no problems. Cant wait for DF dissection.

I don't know... I continue to notice a terrible brigthness/foggish effect... I continue to criticize the 1024x720p choice; is really too low, even in the youtube video ps3 seem bad captured compared to 360 videos , but at this point it's pretty evident how drastically impacted the IQ the 1024 in the horizontal line... too poor imho.

ModNote: Resolution question spun-off into another thread, follow-up posts moved as well: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59813

It wll look better on tv (at least that's is always the case for my tv :LOL:).
Same... games always look better than DF videos/screenshots do on my TV.

Whole MP portion is made by Crytek UK (for all systems).
I see.
I probably won't play online a lot, but I still hope the retail version has a smoother frame rate in MP. SP looks great.

I don't think the difference in resolution is enough to make a noticeable difference between the two console versions (as proven by the gifs of the MP demos posted before). I think it has more to do with the gamma differences making the ps3 version look more washed out in comparison.

I'm super impressed with that PS3 footage! Looked fantabulous. I'd gladly sacrafice a few pixels IF it runs better than the MP3 demo, and to me it certainly looked it. The stuff in the sub looked outstanding. My hype is rising just a bit more.

qP5Cl.jpg

I must to say this is what I continue to dislike about ps3 version... I just hope depends of bad capture/setting because it's pretty evident the difference here to the 360 version... It's just when we have discovered the native resolution which I'm begun to be worried about 1024 horizontal lines choice on the ps3 :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
qP5Cl.jpg

I must to say this is what I continue to dislike about ps3 version... I just hope depends of bad capture/setting because it's pretty evident the difference here to the 360 version... It's to the begin of count pixel analysis which I'm worried about 1024 horizontal lines choice on the ps3 :cry:
Well, those are captures from a YouTube video...

Back