B3D News Item: Challenge: Find Differences between Crysis 2 Console SKUs

I agree that the 360 demo is a bit too high contrast with too much black crush, however that will make the PS3 version look washed out and flatter in comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the 360 demo is a bit too high contrast with too much black crush, however that will make the PS3 version look washed out and flatter in comparison.

Why more closer to pc mean better? I prefer 360 version personally, but it's technically curious to notice ps3 & pc similar, 360 'different', no?

Why more closer to pc mean better? I prefer 360 version personally, but it's technically curious to notice ps3 & pc similar, 360 'different', no?

Well because the PC version is obviously intended to be the 'best' looking version by the devs.
Stuff like DoF and sunshafts are quite prominent differences in the PS3 build, far more noticeable than the 12% resolution deficit.

And the black crush is definitely a problem with the 360 version:

Like in this shot, the inside of the greenhouse, the gun body and the rooftop are way too dark. While playing the 360 demo, I was actually wondering myself if that was just how Crytek wanted the game to look as parts of Pier 17 are really quite dark for a daytime scene, but now it seems it's just a 360 lighting issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can already see headlines of some "fanboy" sites "B3D guru Al Strong that found out about MS hiring guys for next gen consoles strikes again,this time on Crytek":cool:

:p Well, I'd rather look at it from the fact that both consoles have different strengths.

Comparison, I think they are still tweaking the settings:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26535392&postcount=710

Well, you can at least tell the difference in PCF samples and how they try to hide the lower amount on PS3.

it's technically curious to notice ps3 & pc similar, 360 'different', no?
The 360's gamma function is pretty well known to be fubar'd, that is, a 4-piece linear approximation instead of the actual gamma curve. Actually, this was just brought up in another thread: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59796

It does have the effect of "punchier" colours, but anyways, PC hardware including G7x derivitives have had the proper gamma curve for quite a long time, so it's not too surprising to see PC & PS3 games having similar results. Still, there are ways to get them as close as possible, but it takes work. :(

There also seems to be a difference between AF in versions.I do remember that I noticed difference in terms of AF between 360 SP footage and MP footage.Wonder if its just build or console specific.

Oh yea,and Al,here it seems like both consoles run at same resolution?Couldn't tell difference between the two in terms of resolution.At least not ~10% difference.

Based on shots in the other thread, the PS3 is running 1024x720 (maybe 704, but I haven't checked that). I've not seen any high quality captures from the updated 360 demo though.

There also seems to be a difference between AF in versions.

Yep. The 0-8x AF in the config is curious. Hard to say if that's based on some performance metric or if that's a setting for particular surfaces.

So has it been confirmed that the current 360 demo is not retail code? like the PS3 demo?

And was that report of framerate problems on the PS3 demo false?

This shot just shows how the contrast on the 360 version gives the textures more depth. The wall texture in the PS3 pic seems to blur out completely after the break in the wall.
http://www.abload.de/img/vsslot.gif

This shot just shows how the contrast on the 360 version gives the textures more depth. The wall texture in the PS3 pic seems to blur out completely after the break in the wall.

You got confused, the ps3 has some level of anisotropic filtering, its the 360 that lacks it, but maybe its becausae its not final code. Other than that, the only major difference i can spot is the shaders on the blue ground pipes, x360 has specular reflection, ps3 seems to be missing.

Also, to me , i prefer the gamma&contrast on the ps3 version on that map, the higher disparity on the contrast on x360 doesn't suit the ambient light of the map.

You got confused, the ps3 has some level of anisotropic filtering, its the 360 that lacks it, but maybe its becausae its not final code. Other than that, the only major difference i can spot is the shaders on the blue ground pipes, x360 has specular reflection, ps3 seems to be missing.

Also, to me , i prefer the gamma&contrast on the ps3 version on that map, the higher disparity on the contrast on x360 doesn't suit the ambient light of the map.

No, I was talking about how the textures in the 360 version look less flat due to the contrast, even close to the camera where filtering doesn't come into play.

So has it been confirmed that the current 360 demo is not retail code? like the PS3 demo?

And was that report of framerate problems on the PS3 demo false?

"meaningful" is the keyword in his challenge and that's subjective. The obvious difference in that pic is that the floating bricks cast shadows in the ps3 while they do not on the 360, which seems odd because bricks don't typically float. The ps3 also seems to have better af going on in some places even though the 360 seems to give a sharper overall image with more contrast.

Heh, it actually took me a few seconds to figure out what the missing shadows were. The difference in filtering was most glaring considering how much screenspace it took. Next was the actual texture filtering in the back.

What's also apparent is that the brick's shadow is pretty wrong in how it's connected to the brick.

There's also less ground objects in the PS3 shot. Either that or it hasn't popped in yet on PS3, but if that's the case, that's going to be a massive pop-in problem.

Distant city-scape is much blurrier in the PS3 shot. And view through the hole in the wall on the right is much blurrier on PS3 as well., although there appears to be an additional object of some sort there. Set of pipes on the right top is also in very different locations.

HUD is also quite different in font size among other things.

Regards,
SB

I think those are other characters distant things look a mess imo. Is it just me or are the blue vertical pipes in the background in different locations?

Back