Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well why spend processing power on something that isn't really usefull?
I was speaking about PSP2 last night with a friend, and he was saying what he was and wasn't interested in, and how his PSP gets used - content and not games. The question of differentiation came up and the option of TV out. PSP supported it, but only at a tiny
resolution you don't want on a full TV. If PSP2 supported native 720p out over HDMI and you could use it like a wired controller with games and movies on screen, it would offer something new. Like my Grand Vision. So certainly for movies and TV programmes 720p should be supported, and in the same way PS3 has lots of simplified 1080p content like PixelJunk Monsters, PSP2 could support lower resolution games most of the time but splash out on 720p games when it can do for a better large-TV experience.

Dude 512MB is overkill considering whats inside the PS3 and the 360. Above that on top of the other features it would only increase its price and make it harder to end in the consumer's hands

512 MB is the current standard in cell phones, but more and more upcoming phones will come with 1GB (such as the Atrix 4G) and I'm sure soon it will be "standard".. It's about whats reasonably priced, the sweet spot if you will. Why not have more if possible? It may "drive up the price" but very little, but you are getting a major gain. It's also about all the other specs of PSP2, they're all great it seems, but 512MB is merely pedestrian by comparison.

Yeah PS3 and 360 have 512 MB, they're also half a decade old. No reason the PSP2 cant do better in 2011.

If these specs are true, also with what i hear about the PSP2 port of Phyre Engine also complete, then Sony will be putting devs in a really nice poisition with their HW choice for this platform.

Considering current UE3 iOS build supports the current HW in current iPhone 4 which is basically the earlier CPU & GPU versions of these, and given that UE3 support for iPhone 5 is a given, then it'll be trivial for Epic to add PSP2 support for UE3 and allow devs their full suite of devs tools many of them are already very much used to :D

I was speaking about PSP2 last night with a friend, and he was saying what he was and wasn't interested in, and how his PSP gets used - content and not games. The question of differentiation came up and the option of TV out. PSP supported it, but only at a tiny
resolution you don't want on a full TV. If PSP2 supported native 720p out over HDMI and you could use it like a wired controller with games and movies on screen, it would offer something new. Like my Grand Vision. So certainly for movies and TV programmes 720p should be supported, and in the same way PS3 has lots of simplified 1080p content like PixelJunk Monsters, PSP2 could support lower resolution games most of the time but splash out on 720p games when it can do for a better large-TV experience.

Yes… although I think Nintendo got it all down. The DS and 3DS are unique even if you're right beside a home console. You can have a different experience regardless of where you are.

The projector or 720p HDMI out concept is only applicable when you're not near your home theater. It is a significantly weaker proposition.

If these specs are true, also with what i hear about the PSP2 port of Phyre Engine also complete, then Sony will be putting devs in a really nice poisition with their HW choice for this platform.

Considering current UE3 iOS build supports the current HW in current iPhone 4 which is basically the earlier CPU & GPU versions of these, and given that UE3 support for iPhone 5 is a given, then it'll be trivial for Epic to add PSP2 support for UE3 and allow devs their full suite of devs tools many of them are already very much used to :D

Yap… but it also means that they have to try harder to differentiate PSP2 games from cellphone games. I know gamers' games may have higher budget to up the production value, but it doesn't always work that way. May be they can tune the difficulty but there is always an easy mode for weak players like me. It's hard to tell at first glance.

The question of differentiation came up and the option of TV out. PSP supported it, but only at a tiny resolution you don't want on a full TV. If PSP2 supported native 720p out over HDMI and you could use it like a wired controller with games and movies on screen, it would offer something new.
And don't forget a genre tablets provided well, a new way of traditional social board game experience. Play rich and complex "board games" with tablets, pass it around the living room each applying commands (with access to a help texts and everything). Having a good hdmi tv out in tablet/PSP2/any portable device would fit perfectly, all could see whats going on. Even better if tv out could produce a big picture, but PSP2 had a private command workspace. Cellphones can give it today, Nokia N8 hdmi out, Nokia C7/C6-01 good PAL/NTSC tvout from 3.5mm plug, etc...

There is also the rear trackpad. Not sure what to make of it yet.

In the mean time, the PSPhone gets a preview...

Exclusive: Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (PlayStation Phone) preview:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview/

Oh yes. After all the unbearable teasing since we unveiled the first ever photos of the PlayStation Phone, we've finally managed to get hold of the real deal for an in-depth preview. Honestly, we couldn't wait any longer with this thing floating around in China; we'd otherwise have to wait until MWC, where we expect the phone to be launched as the "Xperia Play" (and we shall refer to this name henceforth). Before you pop the cork for us, do bear in mind that what we're seeing here is subject to changes, so don't be alarmed by any missing features or exposed cables in our preview. When you're ready, head right past the break to find out what Sony Ericsson's cooking up.

Kotaku LiveBlog for tonight's event:
http://kotaku.com/5743754/are-you-ready-for-some-big-playstation-news

Check In and Liveblog Kick Off
Kotaku Time: 9:30 p.m., Jan 26
East Coast: 11:30 p.m., Jan. 26
West Coast: 8:30 p.m., Jan 26
Japan: 1:30 p.m., Jan. 27
England: 4:30 a.m., Jan 27
Sydney, Australia: 3:30 p.m., Jan. 27

Presser Set to Start
Kotaku Time: 11 p.m., Jan 26
East Coast: 1 a.m., Jan. 27
West Coast: 10 p.m., Jan 26
Japan: 3 p.m., Jan. 27
England: 6 a.m., Jan 27
Sydney, Australia: 5 p.m., Jan. 27

Andriasang is supposed to do one too, but they will translate a Japanese LiveBlog instead.

So its actually running android, nice. Well thats a pleasant surprise, the screen looks good 854 x 480.
Then again the screen of the PSP was also perhaps its strongest thing.
Bummer about the touchscreen, but I suppose it was inevitable (the curse of the iphone).
I dont think it looks nice open silver/black. All black IMO would of looked better.

It will be interesting to see which is going to sell more this or the 3ds at the moment I wouldnt like to place a bet until I see the price if its > $300 then hmmm

So its actually running android, nice. Well thats a pleasant surprise, the screen looks good 854 x 480.
Then again the screen of the PSP was also perhaps its strongest thing.
Bummer about the touchscreen, but I suppose it was inevitable (the curse of the iphone).
I dont think it looks nice open silver/black. All black IMO would of looked better.

It will be interesting to see which is going to sell more this or the 3ds at the moment I wouldnt like to place a bet until I see the price if its > $300 then hmmm

Wait, right now you are talking about the Xperia Play, right? Not the PSP2 ... ? PSP2 reveal is about 12 hours away still.

>>Wait, right now you are talking about the Xperia Play, right? Not the PSP2 ... ? PSP2 reveal is about 12 hours away still. <<

Sorry youre right, I thought that was the psp2
Though it does seem a bit strange coming out with this as well as a psp2, it saiz to me the psp2 doesnt have phone capabilities (good decision, but Ill wait 12 hours to see if this is the case)

They should be very thankful to fail0verflow for pointing out their crypto mistake. PSP2 won't have the same Elliptic Crypto Signature failure that PS3 had.

If fail0verflow had waited a year, PSP2 might have been vulnerable right out of the gate.

sony-tokyo-event-1358.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1376.jpg

and oh look carts
sony-tokyo-event-1385.jpg

This thing looks nice but its going to be very big. I wish they had made a clam shell or slider design

Its interesting to me. I'd have to see what 3rd party games come out for it as I'm not really into first party sony games aside from uncharted.

As for te specs its really nice the oled is great (loved it with my zune hd) the real problem i see is battery life and cost. The 3ds costs $250 , it gets 3-6 hours battery life. The NGP will have to get at least that for me to even look at it.

i doubt we will get any important information like price and battery life now. I also only expect this to hit japan this year with a NA / europe launch in 2012

Hm… they are porting Yakuza 4 to PSP2 ? Hey Sega, how 'bout Valkyria Chronicles 2 & 3 for PS3. [Shakes fist] ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back