AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

'Ninja CPU replace'... Lol, best strat ever. Wow btw, so AMD is shipping six-core CPUs with eight cores enabled, that's gotta be some sort of manufacturing goof, right? :p

Not that I complain! Just not used to commercial companies handing out free cores, that's all. ;)

This is the offending CPU:

fbAwr7X.jpg

Now I'm moving on to build with Ryzen 3 1200, I'm not getting my hopes up, but SMT would be nice :D

If it failed validation as a 1700 but the core disabling was goofed, I guess it's possible the CPU could be unstable?

If it failed validation as a 1700 but the core disabling was goofed, I guess it's possible the CPU could be unstable?

It is possible, but I've spent now good 26h torturing it with benchmarks and applications, both at stock and overclocked to 3.8GHz 1.3V (I didn't push it higher as boxed cooler, from my experience, is not capable enough to sustain stability at 4GHz with 1.4V).
I've ran old x87 code, SSE, AVX, stressed caches and pushed memory to 3200MHz dual channel with no immediate issue :)
If there is a problem with it, I can't find it in one day.

The lower-end Ryzen 3 2200U has 2 cores / 4 threads and a Vega GPU with 3CUs.
Looks like Banded Kestrel lives, after all.

z6chMY3.jpg

If it's indeed the same chip and it uses LPDDR4 3200MHz, AMD could be posing a serious threat over Intel's Y series in the 5W range.
Even more considering it's a full SoC.

Though looking at the base clock of 2.5GHz, I find it hard to believe this particular model is in the 5W range.
Perhaps we'll be seeing a Ryzen Mobile 7Y not long from now.

Ryzen 5 2400G is faster than i5-8400. Yeah...
Was that sarcastic?
In games, it seems obvious to me that the 2400G's >1TFLOPs iGPU would be a lot faster than the i5's 400 GFLOPs iGPU. It's just a much wider GPU.
Intel would probably need a GT4e to match AMD's 15W offerings. No wonder Intel is getting a Vega in Kaby-G.

It seems AMD terminated the Ryzen 3 1200 and Ryzen 5 1400 models, and replaced them entirely with Raven Ridge models:

3w3ogKO.jpg

I just have a hard time believing they can pull that much more performance out of 128-bit DDR4.

They obviously can't have the same performance as a similarly-sized GPU with dedicated GDDR5, but at 1080p and if you tone down all IQ settings that eat a lot of bandwidth (shadows, MSAA, texture size) and bring up the settings that eat more compute (pixel shader, post processing), it's fairly reasonable to assume the 65W 2400G can hit that performance advantage over Intel's GT2.

Of course, even this 2400G can seemingly gain quite a bit from GPU overclocking and faster DDR4:

hQN6guR.jpg

One thing seems sure to me: the Ryzen 5 2400G IMO pretty much nullifies the demand for the Radeon RX550/540 and the GT1030, at least for new systems. At $170 it's really a no-brainer to get this instead of a discrete 4-core/8-thread CPU + a $80 discrete GPU.
And the $99 Ryzen 3 2200G is an even greater value. Just a year ago, what could we get with $99? A 2-core/2-thread Pentium without turbo and locked multiplier?

Of course, what AMD really needs to do now is get some OEMs to release motherboards with HDMI2.0 or they'll eternally lose the HTPC crowd to intel and nvidia. That and enable support for PlayReady 3.0, which is taking them an embarrassingly long time to do.

z6chMY3.jpg

If it's indeed the same chip and it uses LPDDR4 3200MHz, AMD could be posing a serious threat over Intel's Y series in the 5W range.

Though looking at the base clock of 2.5GHz, I find it hard to believe this particular model is in the 5W range.
I think it will compete with gold&silver Pentiums/Celerons, not with Y series.

Was that sarcastic?
:LOL:

But: almost all AM4 motherboards do not support HDMI 2.0&HDCP 2.2.

https://www.notebookcheck.com/filea...ryzen_apu_desktop_overclocking_772c65dec8.png

With 1,2 GHz the new 2400G is faster than Durango GPU. Combined with DDR4-3200 you can play some games.

Last edited:
So, this is Vega Mobile. Could AMD follow Intel and release some kind of Ryzen 7 2000G (gen. 2 Ryzen and Vega Mobile with upto 28 CUs)?

Unlikely for 2018. One of the reasons for AMD to make Vega M for Intel is probably because they have no such product for that performance range in their roadmap, at least not until they get to 7nm with Zen 2.

I think it will compete with gold&silver Pentiums/Celerons, not with Y series.

This particular Ryzen 3 2200U at 15W yes, but if it's indeed a new chip like the one in the Banded Kestrel diagram, I see no reason for it not to compete with the Y series.
Dual-core + HyperThreading + similarly sized GPU + 2*32bit LPDDR4 providing 25GB/s total bandwidth or more.
This is exactly what the Y series have to offer at 5W TDP, with the advantage of being a full SoC and using fast LPDDR4 at 64bit which might save it a bunch of milliwatts that it can use for higher CPU and/or GPU clocks.

To be honest, I thought that 2core + 3CU + 64bit LPDDR4 chip had been abandoned. What makes me think it exists after all is that exact same number of CUs in the Ryzen 3 2200U. I mean why 3 and not 4 in a 15W SoC? I can't help but think that's the same chip but they're simply launching the lower-binned SoCs as Ryzen 3 with a higher TDP first.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the $99 Ryzen 3 2200G is an even greater value. Just a year ago, what could we get with $99? A 2-core/2-thread Pentium without turbo and locked multiplier?

Depends on the market of course, but that price point is generally closer to the bottom Core i3 models with 2 cores / 4 threads than Pentium. Pentium is more around $65.

Pentiums Gold have 12 EUs, so 3 CUs should be enough. But not against HD 615/HD620 with 24 EUs.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9582/intel-skylake-mobile-desktop-launch-architecture-analysis/6

The HD615 GT2 has 24 EUs with 8 ALUs each, so a total of 192 MADD shader processors for a total of 384 FLOPs/clock, plus 1 TMU-per-EU + 1 ROP per slice, so 24 TMUs and 3 ROPs.
The HD610 GT1 has 1 whole slice of 8 ALUs disabled, plus half the ALUs of a second slice disabled. So it has 12 EUs so a total of 96 MADD shader processors for a total of 192 FLOPs/clock, plus 12 TMUs and 2 ROPs

A Vega 3 has CUs so 3*64 ALUs, total 192 MADD shader processors for a total of 384 FLOPs/clock, plus 12 TMUs (assuming the same CU/TMU ratio as Vega) and 4 ROPs (apparently Vega uses RBE units that do 4 pixels/clock so that's the minimum).

So which one do you think Vega 3 is competing with?

If you consider the gaming benchmarks of Ryzen 5 2500U's Vega 8 vs the HD 615 you'll see that the former is consistently >2 to 3.5x faster than the later. An iGPU with ~35-40% the performance of Vega 8 would match the HD 615.

Personally I'd bet that Vega 3 is at least 50% as fast as Vega 8 in a 15W envelope.
The latter is highly unlikely to reach its max gpu clock (but I haven't seen any hard numbers yet, unlike for Bristol Ridge, which was typically running at around half its already low 720Mhz maximum) in practice, which shouldn't be a problem for the Vega 3 (even if its max clock is lower, the effective clock is very likely going to be higher). Plus, Vega 3 won't suffer from memory bandwidth issues nearly as much due to having much higher bandwidth/flops ratio, if equipped with dual channel memory. The latter assumes this is a cut-down Raven Ridge, not Banded Kestrel, but I don't think Banded Kestrel is here yet, as that's on embedded roadmaps for much later this year.

z6chMY3.jpg

Official specs from AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-3-2200u

Dual channel&DDR4-2400 support. Looks good.
------------------------------------------------
3DMark 11: https://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dm11/12257178/3dm11/12554398/3dm11/12593862#

Last edited:
It seems AMD terminated the Ryzen 3 1200 and Ryzen 5 1400 models, and replaced them entirely with Raven Ridge models:

3w3ogKO.jpg

They obviously can't have the same performance as a similarly-sized GPU with dedicated GDDR5, but at 1080p and if you tone down all IQ settings that eat a lot of bandwidth (shadows, MSAA, texture size) and bring up the settings that eat more compute (pixel shader, post processing), it's fairly reasonable to assume the 65W 2400G can hit that performance advantage over Intel's GT2.

Of course, even this 2400G can seemingly gain quite a bit from GPU overclocking and faster DDR4:

hQN6guR.jpg

One thing seems sure to me: the Ryzen 5 2400G IMO pretty much nullifies the demand for the Radeon RX550/540 and the GT1030, at least for new systems. At $170 it's really a no-brainer to get this instead of a discrete 4-core/8-thread CPU + a $80 discrete GPU.

Of course, what AMD really needs to do now is get some OEMs to release motherboards with HDMI2.0 or they'll eternally lose the HTPC crowd to intel and nvidia. That and enable support for PlayReady 3.0, which is taking them an embarrassingly long time to do.
oh man , do i go with a 1700x or wait for the new stuff. That price drop is really nice there

Had a multiple drive failure this past weekend and that gave me the excuse to finally get a 960 Evo NVMe for the C6H, doesn't seem to perform that bad (post Spectre/Meltdown patches):

nvmecdmmrp7r.png

I need to check if RAM frequency and timings have any effect on drive performance :)

Last edited:
Back