AMD RyZen CPU Architecture for 2017

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by fellix, Oct 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

My RD400 drive speed has almost halved since I first built it. :(

2. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I have a 1TB 7200rpm drive as a cache drive where I put windows system cache on it . It's drasticly increased the life of my ssds

3. green.pixel

Veteran

So, it's not recommended to put system cache on SSD? How much SSD lifespan is reduced and how much speed is lost then if cache is put on HDD?

4. pharma

Veteran Regular

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

well you will certainly decrease your SSD life span. it all depends on how often the cache is used. The more ram you have the less often it should hit it. As with speed your not going to loose much speed if the cache is on the HDD. Going from system memory to SSD is already a huge decrease in performance , dropping from ssd to mechanical is a much smaller decrease when compareed

6. Shortbread

Shortbread biscuits
    Veteran

I wouldn't worry so much about SSD lifespans.

My Crucial SSDs (M4-CT512M4SSD2) that I use for staging/editing/rendering HD videos have been holding up perfectly since 2012 (62-76 hours a week), without any performance lost. And my Samsung EVO SSDs for storage/dumping/retrieving large video-projects have been holding up as well. Hell, I had mechanical enterprise hard-drives fail me within 2 years.

Some interesting info on SSDs lifespans at the link below.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html

Kyyla likes this.
  7. Bondrewd

Regular Newcomer

Pretty much.
    Modern 3D NAND has hilarious endurance.
    https://3dnews.ru/938764/
    Also a bit more relevant endurance testing (if you can read russian that is).

Shortbread likes this.
  8. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

you are right about that , I mostly moved the windows cache to the mechanical to avoid any performance loss when things page out to the cache. However you do gain a lot more life out of the drive also. I had a 64 gig ssd (vertex ) die out due to the nand going bad. I would assume modern drives have more nand back up and longer endurance.

9. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I have 8 SSDs and an NVMe SSD across various systems ranging from 8 years to 1 year old, none of them have experienced a single issue. Can't say that about any of my mechanical drives.

The only mechanicals I use now are NAS drives for my... NAS. I just don't see any reason to have them in any client PCs unless using them for local backup (lack of NAS) or scratch disk.

Shortbread and BRiT like this.
  10. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

I highly doubt moving anything to a mechanical hard drive yields performance gains. "Caching" is the opposite of what you're doing

Maybe just in case of a not-so-good ssd which would have no space remaining